What Time Do You Wear???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched Time Piece & Wrist Watch here & came up empty...If there is a thread mods feel free to move me...
Besides listening to music one of my hobbies & my small collection...The first 7 are all Automatic Divers rated 200m-2000m..The small box has 2 quartz & 2 hand wind..The PVD/Orange Helson is 1 of only 2 pieces ever made...So what time do you wear?"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Off-topic or not, there used to be an audio magazine in my country some 30 years ago. The editor used to organize auditions at his home, to listen and evaluate various hifi appliances. Before such "seances" he asked his guests to leave their wristwatches outside at the lobby, otherwise these could influence the field around them, thus influencing their subjective assessment. Especially quarz watches, not only wind-up ticking watches :confused: (This guy was follower of P. Belt also)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't answer for Scott, but I am 100% in agreement (and I think he and I actually discussed this at some point) - I haven't worn a watch in more than 2 decades although I bought one in that time frame (a Casio) because I thought it was cool, but I may have worn it a few times before it went into a drawer where it has stayed until this day. Today the cell phone serves the same function and at least appears to be a less obsessive behavior than looking at your watch every two minutes because you are nervous.. LOL

(Note my history of watch wearing probably ended by the time I was in my early 30s)

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I didn't wear a watch for 10 years since the invention of the iphone when I bought a 3GS 32GB but since I hardly ever leave the house I'm not going to be walking around with a smartphone in my pocket when there are phones and clocks and computers nearby.

So. I went out and started buying watches on ebay, I made a few mistakes, I bought the predictable F-91W but then the band broke on me a year later. I then bought a HDA-600B-1BV but I quickly learned that the metal bars across the front obstructed the view of the watch face just enough that it was too annoying to bother wearing.

Then I struck gold. Metal band, cheap, dual time zone, date, month, day all on the same face all at once. (Only thing not on the same face is the second time zone, but its not difficult to hit mode 3 times.)

I bought the awesome Casio A178W, it is very lightweight, it has since never been off my wrist for longer than a few hours in the last 2 years since I've bought it. The wrist band is strong and springy so it will never break. The battery will last 10 years. Etc.

Perfect.

Last edited:
6J2dna2.jpg

I've got some fancy automatics but I cannot stand the fact that in this day and age your watch needs to be reprogrammed on the first of most months to figure out that there were 28 or 30 days instead of 31. So I only wear an radio-atomic-solar watch that you set one time and never have to reset even for daylight savings time. Never needs batteries, can wear swimming in ocean no problem. Not expensive either.

Casio G Shock Avaiation GW2500 Analog Digi...

Last edited:
Nice diver watches you have .
Im also addicted to dive watches...
Today im wearing Deep blue nato 300m pvd.
But also hava some chunky watches: citizen autozilla/ecozilla, seiko skx007, seiko monster, few orient m force and g shocks and some other divers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180508_081222-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180508_081222-1024x768.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 143
I hate all watches...but I am 100% in agreement...I too am in the no watch club. I can't stand anything around my wrist.

I have never worn a watch, or jewelry of any kind. I had watches as a kid since parents or relatives tend to give you one for birthdays or Christmas instead of something you really want like electronics parts. Those watches never lasted more than a few months before they broke. I seem to be tough on things like watches and bicycles.........

Even as a kid my ADHD / OCD brain didn't require any external timepiece. All through life I never owned an alarm clock, but always got where I needed to be on time, with rare exceptions (illness). As stated, today's phones make them redundant, and therefore unnecessary. The OCD engineer in me tends to eliminate things that perform an unnecessary (jewelry) or redundant (watch) functions. That's probably why I also tend to eliminate unnecessary clothing when it's not essential (shoes, socks, shirts....).

I have some nice watches but this is all I wear now.

I did however succumb to the Fitbit craze when a credit card company decided to eliminate their rewards program after I had amassed over 100,000 points. I got my wife one of the small ones, and got myself a Surge with GPS, then shredded the credit card. It still bugs me after three years so I do not wear it all the time and I switch wrists often. I also wear it on the inside of my wrist to reduce the risk of impact damage.

I had to have the Surge replaced under warantee twice because the band fell apart. They didn't ask for the second one back, so I got a band from China and fixed it. The battery died after about a year, so I replaced that too. That unit eventually died so I activated the second replacement. I have already replaced it's band, and decided that I will not buy a new one of these things when this unit dies. It already needs another band. Amazon has them now.

I find that the GPS logging function is useful for OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) events like the Tough Mudder, since I can review the race after the fact by downloading the data and plotting out my track with times, altitude, and HR data on a map. It's also good for hiking to determine where you actually went, and how much your elevation changed over the course, trail, or random wander through the hills.

A phone would never survive a Tough Mudder, but it can do the same functions for hiking, and puts the map in your hand when you get lost, hence the Fitbit becoming redundant as I grow too old for serious OCR.

Last edited:
I find that the GPS logging function is useful for OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) events like the Tough Mudder, since I can review the race after the fact by downloading the data and plotting out my track with times, altitude, and HR data on a map. It's also good for hiking to determine where you actually went, and how much your elevation changed over the course, trail, or random wander through the hills.

A phone would never survive a Tough Mudder, but it can do the same functions for hiking, and puts the map in your hand when you get lost, hence the Fitbit becoming redundant as I grow too old for serious OCR.

I went with the Charge 2 as I had a friend who recommended it. I just took an educated guess that I would appreciate the longer battery life and smaller size over built-in GPS.

Phones are indeed taking over. So many tracking apps to choose from. Even our provincial government is publishing free trail maps as georeferenced PDF.

The daily is an Orient Blue Makko (mechanical, automatic wind, dive rated), stainless expansion bracelet.

Orient made all of Seiko's mechanical watches under contract, a few years ago Seiko bought them and they still do their mechanicals, plus still selling under the Orient brand (very popular in Japan).

Have another Orient, a Seiko (the one that looks like a Rolex Oyster) that was a retirement engraved watch given my father, and a Tag-Hauer. I also have a Gold case Hamilton RR watch, a pretty fancy model (I've never seen one at auction with all the features this one has). Made about 1910.

Attachments

• Orient Blue Makko No1.jpg
    Orient Blue Makko No1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.