Why Audiophiles Hate Bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could only bear to watch the first 3 minutes. I think he was genuinely an audiophile, because he thought others would give a **** about his unsubstantiated opinion.

FWIW I thought Bose got a bad rap from audiophiles who believe in science and know his patent and marketing on bouncing sound everywhere is nonsense.

My first set of speakers when I was in college were some 301's, can't recall the series number - they had the movable vane on the high frequency driver. Sounded fine, never had any complaints about them. The wave radio on the nightstand has worked flawlessly for coming up on a couple of decades.

The pilot headsets are terrific.

His manufactured products improved the lives of a lot of people, and he left a great legacy to his alma mater. As far as I can tell, he left people and the world better than he found it.

Seems like a life well lived to me.

Win W5JAG

I'm by no means a fan or apologist, but I very much doubt that "The Mountain" gives a flying fork about what self appointed audiophiles think or blog about them.

It's been literally half a century since the "landmark design" that first brought the name to prominence debuted, and regardless of your opinions as to the performance / value for money of the entire home / personal audio product line, this is by all measures a very successful company with a lot of serious engineering chops.

Audiophiles don't hate Bose they hate people that are happy with Bose. Bose speakers never embodied his seminal work, and as time passed it just just became another branded item. I spent an entire day with my daughter cleaning out my mother's house so we could sell it wondering how do they get so much bass out of that little box.

Last edited:
I purchased a couple of Bose bluetooth speakers awhile back (Soundlink II, Soundlink Mini) and in my small apartment, my frequency response measurements showed hefty bass boost and treble which was very directional and not very extended. I thought they might fare better outdoors or in a party situation. The treble, I could live with, but I wished they had a handy way to cut the bass for indoor use.

perhaps you meant "perceived" bass?

Eh, maybe.
For me, Bose has always been about getting an annoying amount of sound out of some very small boxes. Having something that can sit on the palm of your hand and fill a smallish room with perceived bass for hours with no external power source is very impressive to me.

Their top-end PA stuff is getting good with top-end 18Sound components, and their bluetooth speakers are what everyone else aims to beat.

The middle-sized stuff (L1 PA stick, home "HiFi"/cinema) all suffers from the same sound, IMO - a distinct hole between the subwoofer and the little full-range units. There's a dip of maybe an octave or two where a lot of the "body" of the sound is missing. EQing it back in just takes away any headroom the system used to have. Having the gap there makes the bass sound deep and impressive to the average punter, though.

I actually own a set of their MusicMonitor speakers - they're pretty flat and put out a very big sound for the size of the box.

Chris

my frequency response measurements showed hefty bass boost and treble which was very directional and not very extended.

This is how a lot of "boomboxes" and small cheap stereos are voiced. It's how the Wave radio works. It pretty much works for making a full sound. I've measured some of the stuff myself.

Despite the marketing claims that the Wave radio replaces a bulky and expensive component system :cubehead:, this is not true. A 4" speaker is not going to make your hair blow back like the old Memorex ad. But some of the cheap designs are pretty clever.

The middle-sized stuff (L1 PA stick, home "HiFi"/cinema) all suffers from the same sound, IMO - a distinct hole between the subwoofer and the little full-range units. There's a dip of maybe an octave or two where a lot of the "body" of the sound is missing. EQing it back in just takes away any headroom the system used to have. Having the gap there makes the bass sound deep and impressive to the average punter, though.

Chris

Oh yeah, and Bose is no exception. This is what consumers are used to hearing.

For TV, this is annoying. That Bose 5.1 cube system just sounds garbled to me. And if it's not set up right, then all your midrange comes from your subwoofer. I've heard all that in the field and sometimes people don't care. It's Bose, so it's got to be good, even though it sounds horrid - or something like that.

Last edited:
This is how a lot of "boomboxes" and small cheap stereos are voiced. It's how the Wave radio works. It pretty much works for making a full sound. I've measured some of the stuff myself.

Oh yeah, and Bose is no exception. This is what consumers are used to hearing.

I think you're right; people want the experience they get when they go out to a club and are not concerned w/clarity over a visceral reaction.

I think you're right; people want the experience they get when they go out to a club and are not concerned w/clarity over a visceral reaction.

In a club, there's real chest thumping bass courtesy of large subwoofers. These gimmicks are illusory. But boomy, muddy pseudo bass is what people associate with "hi-fi."

You can't get good bass for free. Either you need a big amplifier with a small box, or a big box, for any kind of SPL. No free lunch.

It was the atrocious (in my opinion) "club sound" that got me into building my own gear in the first place! I don't know what went wrong with my generation, but a lot of the music systems my friends are interested in sound terrible to my ears! And for the record, I don't even have any "golden ears"!

Fast Eddie:
I'd argue that big boxes are needed for big SPL no matter what amp you got. Small boxes can be more than adequate if you do not need to shake the neighbours house though.

helitim:
My ears are no better, I struggle with the same, people seem weirdly happy with crap sound systems. Ignorance is bliss.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.