Why Audiophiles Hate Bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Bose products ARE based on solid scientific research. A quick search at the AES website reveals this.
Amar Bose was a highly regarded professor and teacher at the MIT school of engineering and students spoke very highly of him. See his Wikipedia entry.

I'll give one example of how Bose incorporates solid scientific research into their products:
Most people don't want big speakers, that dominate the room, in fact most people don't want to see speakers at all. But they still want to hear music with the impression of bass.
To accomplish this you need the solid scientific research. The missing fundamental with added non linear distortion allows for very small speakers that give the impression of much larger speakers.
It isn't neutral sound, but it's certainly based on solid science.

P.s. I have never owned a Bose product in my life.

Indeed, that "solid research" you speak of is researching what consumers want - you said it yourself.
AKA "marketing" - catering to the consumer to boost sales.
Has nothing to do with accuracy, and the "science" involved is something the average DIY'er can do.

Actually when i first started posting messages i got mangeled in the linux/win debate but generally found this site a breath of fresh air but going back to the 1970s i owned top of the range (Iwas employed as a dealer) studiocraft then bose 901s11 the replacement Quad electrostatics were a revalation still the 901 s are compact but horribly inacurate I notice since the passing of Amar these speakers have been DUMPED. Quite a come down from the worlds finest,EHH???

Why do Audiophiles hate Bose?

I think it has a lot to do with "peer pressure" from wives, friends and other non-audiophiles to do away with the big ugly old HiFi that they had no interest in. Just the market that Bose catered.

Bose's advertisement (Germany, 00s) offered a ridiculosly small refund for your old equipment when you bought, implying that this was just worthless garbage.

I must thank Bose though, for turning my interest to speaker building. Reason was a transparent plastic display case of an "Acoustimass" bandpass bass box back in the, which showed me how very cheap the internal parts were.

The opposite of their claims.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
YouTube

Gajanan Phadte

Audiophils try to believe their ears, they consider some Bose good enough..

Hifists (people believing others before their ears - first state of audiophil becomming) want not small and expensive geaars, they want cheap and huge (they believe in their walett and purchase kilograms and what they consider good brands).

All being a trade off with sound reproduction, verity is certainly in between, physical laws still rule (and an important factor stays the listening room).

Keeps you at home where you're safe and your wife knows where you are. You think that's not right or doesn't matter?

You will. :)

BTW, my favourite watering hole burned to the ground and was worth more as the empty lot for the new residential tower than it ever was as a pub, no matter how good the food was.

Hmmm... Come to think of it, the owner never has thanked me for that. I know one thing for sure, I'll never order a dozen Flaming Sambucas in one go again, that's for sure.

Sleep well, JSR

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Re
Pelange
yup laws of physics:--- been grappleing since 1957
AND its no fun when ones favorite bar closes down

:) I can't agree more, it's very NO FUN when ones favorite bar(s) close down.

I like your way JSB, What is the soul of a bar has more to see with feeling, music, always unique Thing no possible to clone. Sound reproduction is the very last important factor (as what you drink btw)... and if not, that's because you became too old !

If I dare, I will consider a club : bar without flat screen(s)... pleasssssse !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.