Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Photo Displayed During Tonight's Backup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2018, 12:40 AM   #11
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I knew I recognised that middle picture from somewhere. It's the Harwell Dekatron. More a programmable calculator than computer. Harwell computer - Wikipedia

The one on the left does look more like a Sci-fi set.
Old 4th May 2018, 12:59 AM   #12
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

The only one I remember is the astronaut multi panel one that has a shot of Thom Yorke from no alarms and no surprises.
Old 4th May 2018, 05:40 AM   #13
dchisholm is offline dchisholm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
. . . I am very much interested in the computers they are showing. I have marked the pictures with numbers. Would any kind soul give information about computers and what they were used for. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
No. 4 is a 1900 series ICL, so an early to mid-1970s mainframe machine. I worked as a customer engineer (but in-house) at ICL starting in 1978 - by then the 2900 series was already in production and I did not get to work on the 1900 series. . . . .
Photo Number 4! That's it!! The picture shown on the site last night!!! I wish we had a larger version of it.

So that's a mainframe machine from "ICL". Google tells me that ICL (International Computers Limited) was a British mainframe computer manufacturer of the late 1960's and 1970's.

If it was a U.S. setting I'd say the photo was very early 70's. That's the only period in my lifetime when a skirt as short as what's in that photo would have been tolerated in a U.S. business environment. Especially among the largest corporations, who were the ones using the large mainframe systems and were quite conservative and traditional at their cores.

(In 1973, during my summer college break, I had a summer job on an Installation Team for IBM's Field Service organization. I muscled a lot of System360 and System370 hardware into place, and crawled under a lot of raised floors to run cables between the frames and to peripherals. I saw the inside of quite a few large data centers - I think the largest had something like 150 of those free-standing disk drives. That's the summer I met my wife, so maybe my memory is a little hazy on the subject, but I don't recall seeing anything like the girl in that photo inside any of those data centers.)

Thanks to @Hiten for sharing the photo, and to @JensenHealey for identifying it.

Dale
Old 4th May 2018, 05:47 AM   #14
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks DF96, Jensen and others. Nice to know we have experienced engineers and people in the forum.

British are known to document things well.* While browsing for vintage computers I came across British Pathe Films archives. Pathe Archives I searched electronics. Probably due to country restriction I can not see it. Manchester electronics exhibition looks interesting.

*I did a freelancing work of a Pictorial booklet for my hometown (Which is thousand year old) and the Historian who published the book while visiting London asked them if they would like to keep the book in Library. They gladly accepted it. Good to know book designed by me is in British Library.
Regards.

Last edited by Hiten; 4th May 2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 4th May 2018, 05:52 AM   #15
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks dchisholm.

DPH I think I remember Thom Yorke picture. It was along with 2001 space odyssey picture.
Regards.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:18 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I suspect that ladies' skirts in publicity photos from that era may be somewhat shorter than what would be common in a business setting. However, it might be helpful to distinguish between what a secretary might wear to please her boss (the 1970s was a long time ago, and attitudes were different then), and what a female engineer might wear to maintain a professional image. Skirts that short were certainly commonplace on the street back then.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:31 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I have a picture of my mum in a miniskirt holding me as a baby!
Old 4th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #18
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Prove it!
Old 4th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #19
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Video from the late 80's where I was working at the time (yes I am in the video). Computer was a Facom M180 II AD brief look in the computer room at the beginning, and then near the end (you can skip the middle bit) out into the print room and a some vision of the DASD's Dropbox - ClytechNorthSydney.mp4

If you go to this page and click on the B&W picture of the burrows mainframe, you will be able to click through a slide show. Note some are just staff photos, and none are publicity shots. I somehow managed to not be in any of the photos! CLYTECH

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 4th May 2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add link to site with photo gallery.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post

So that's a mainframe machine from "ICL". Google tells me that ICL (International Computers Limited) was a British mainframe computer manufacturer of the late 1960's and 1970's.
ICL had an interesting early history. It started with EDSAC in 1949 then led to Lyons (who ran a chain of tea rooms) wanting to go digital and modifying EDSAC to make LEO (Lyons electronic office). Over time sales of LEO grew so big that it was spun out and via various mergers ended up as ICL. Which was then slowly and shurly stomped to death by IBM etc.

What is interesting is that most of the problems in business computing were actually solved in the 50s by the LEO team. They were decades ahead of their time.

Photo Displayed During Tonight's BackupHide this!Advertise here!