Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This could be the crux of the issue. We will have different experiences/observations, but what does it really matter to an autistic person?

Some people go into overload very easily, I'm glad I'm not one of them. I think anything that could help avoiding overload would matter quite a lot to them.

Regarding my remark about neurotypical code: discussions where no-one says what they mean and all give their own interpretation to what the others said are difficult to follow, but I don't think any kind of hearing aid is going to solve that. What often helps is to simply ask people what they mean when it isn't clear. It can even be clarifying for neurotypicals, because their free interpretations are not always correct. Sometimes it doesn't work because simply asking what they mean can **** some people off.

It is useful to have some basic knowledge of the differences between the perception of neurotypicals and autistics and to know that it isn't all black and white, because that helps to improve mutual understanding. That seems so obvious that I wonder whether it answers your question, though.

I have had some experience with higher functioning autistic people, and I think I've developed some understanding of them, but unfortunately I don't feel they have had much understanding of me. It seems very much a one way street but I suppose this is a fundamental aspect of the condition?

By the way, have you tried communicating in writing? Communication between high-functioning autistic and high-functioning neurotypical people often goes better in writing than face-to-face. Everyone can think about their replies as long as they want without others assuming that they are finished and there is no non-verbal miscommunication possible.

Only on this site. I'm not sure of the definition of high-functioning. I helped a young girl who said she was autistic with calculating speaker dimensions, and with layout of crossover components, she wasn't confident with maths. She was very quick when it came to replying and her language skills seemed very good. She wasn't very patient and was quite demanding. She seemed to have quite a sense of humour but I noticed she got frustrated when she didn't understand a joke I made, it was ok when I explained it.

I recently took a class in 'search and rescue' ie missing persons having neuro disorders.
Autism is only one of a very broad rage of neuro issues.

Just a few tips here.
1. always have a recent pic of the family member.
2. always be aware of clothing worn
3. remember that what seems totally out of norm to you makes perfect sense to subject
4. strokes and other neuro issues can have similar behavior symptoms

I learned in the class what questions to ask family or guardians for good clues as to where is. The questions seem odd but can really help search teams.

My grandson had a stroke at age of two.
He is doing better now but still in special ed.

Also, if any members here have been diagnosed with autism and feel comfortable discussing their personal experiences as it relates to the above, it would be welcomed.

I used to work in a challenging behaviour home with a man who had autism.
He would often sit and rock back and forth.
He would say very little except his name which he mispronounced saying Dee instead of David.
If he wanted a drink he would go and sit in the dining room.
He would start to get agitated if no one took him a drink.
When having a bath in the morning everything had to be done in the right order. If it went out of order he would jump out and start running around the house.
If he got too agitated he would grab lumps of your arms and leave huge bruises.

He respected strength. If when he attacked you grabbed his arms he would back off a bit. If you showed weakness he would bruise you quite badly.

Charles samples? Did I miss something?

No you didn't miss anything, I just failed to supply them. Sorry! :(

Meanwhile my result from that test inspired me to have a word with my GP who gave me another but very similar test to fill out.
The upshot of this is that in September I have an appointment for a mental health assessment to determine where on the autistic spectrum I really am.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the the masking effect that allows people to hold down conversations in noisy pubs does not happen for me at all, I hear everything all the time.
Probably why I don't enjoy going to pubs as much as others seem to do.

The big takeaway for me here is that it seems the common discourse of “golden ears”- hearing resolution - with respect to this hobby is not a complete picture.

Not what we can hear (minor artifacts), but how we hear it (complete perceptual experience, the relationship of particular artifacts to one another).

For example, Charles masking observations.

I am venturing a guess (casually, of course) that those who find themselves here as general hobbyists have more perceptual variance (not suggesting on-spectrum but that’s possible of course) and are subtly attempting adjustment for their given peculiarities.... perhaps without even realizing it.

The upshot of this is that in September I have an appointment for a mental health assessment to determine where on the autistic spectrum I really am.

I find the whole story of human ability amazing. There are about 30 people in the world that can remember everything in their life. (Hyperthymesia - Wikipedia )There are artists like Tori Amos that sees colors as well as hearing music. Played piano by 3 years old, composing music by 4, and kicked out of an elite music school at 12 for insubordination. (numbers are close but may not be accurate because of how my brain works ;-) )

Temple Grandin is leading an interesting life and I'm sure she is one of many similar stories. Being so public though she is offered chances to do things other people don't get the chance to experience.

Yes. There are diagnosed people on "the spectrum" in my family. (and probably some undiagnosed ;-0 )

Last edited:
P

You have a peculiar user name, do you like memorizing digits of pi? I only remember 3.14159265358979323846.

You are doing very well !!! I stop at 3.14.

I heard Klipschorns when I was in my teens. Power, clarity, aw ****... I got Pi 7's in the 90's and tried a lot of different things with the design. (passive to active, change drivers, add sub). I've got the user name but not the Pi's any more. Still like what the horns, including the Pispeakers.com horn designs do.

I'm on quiet little active 3 ways, with dual PHL 1660, Aurum Cantus tweeter and Eminence 8 inch subs now. Dirac for voicing. I saw Beth Hart at Bluesfest last night and enjoying a lot of her tunes on Spotify as I type this.

Marcel and G make sense. I hope vd are middle initials ;-).

Grant.

There are about 30 people in the world that can remember everything in their life.

I seem to remember every single time I screwed up when it comes to dealing with other people. The memories pop into my head randomly when I'm relaxed and not thinking about anything in particular like when I'm trying to sleep.

Quite annoying when you're in your mid 50s and you suddenly remember that you called someone by the wrong name when you were 8!

I suspect the 'vd' stands for 'van der' or something very similar. :)

I say the above with the caveat that music professionals, EE’s and so on may have found themselves here as a result of their work or what have you. Whether they tend to choose this work as a result of what’s been discussed above I don’t know.

I think though that a higher proportion of those who invest themselves in this hobby may have done so in an effort to make the music they love “feel right” due to variations on how they “perceive” sound.

For example, while watching a movie at a cinema I was seriously distracted by distortion I heard from one of the wall mounted speakers. I could immediately sense it and I quickly identified the particular speaker out of the dozen or so there that was malfunctioning. It wasn’t obtusely malfunctioning but I could hear the distortion during various loud scenes or complex passages from either a bad or loose driver. I asked someone sitting next to me, who has excellent hearing (probably better than my own), if they noticed it and they had no idea what I was talking about even after identifying for them the particular speaker with the issue and coaching them on what to listen for. They were able to enjoy the movie blissfully without distraction. For me it was impossible to filter out, not because of audiophile neurosis, but because I just respond innately to this- it was present for me as a child well before I began on this hobby.

By the same token I do NOT believe my hearing in general terms to be exceptional / better than the average population for my age and gender. It’s simply always been tuned differently, and I respond to certain sound aberrations more acutely than many.

There are many who have a great love of listening to music who don’t go through the lengths we do. I guess the question to ask is what are the behavioral / neurological / physiological statistical differences between “us” and “them”.

It’s clear to me suggesting one can hear things others can’t because their hearing has more refined resolution across the board is incomplete and oversimplified.

Please also note this isn’t an attempt to justify or encourage high-priced junk science components or parts. I’m not making claims as to who can hear what or what is relevant or audible, only the differences I’ve observed between people in my life who have no stake in this hobby.

I find the whole story of human ability amazing. There are about 30 people in the world that can remember everything in their life. (Hyperthymesia - Wikipedia )There are artists like Tori Amos that sees colors as well as hearing music.

Alejandro Jodorowsky claims to remember being born.

While a bit intense to consider and from some studies on the matter seemingly quite improbable, who am I to say he is undeniably wrong?

Truth is stranger than fiction.

When I begin from the premise of “this can’t possibly be, it makes no sense” I usually consider what we have begun to understand about the scope and complexity of the Universe and think: Well, if that “makes sense” to me, just about everything at the very least deserves open minded consideration in contrast. ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.