Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2018, 12:11 AM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I took the test and had little to no Autistic traits. Not a big surprise, and it indicates my hearing peculiarities have nothing to do with Autism. How much overlap of these traits would there be among those on and off the spectrum?
Old 4th May 2018, 01:11 AM   #22
spaceistheplace is online now spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

That would be the million dollar question I suppose.
Old 4th May 2018, 01:57 AM   #23
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

This is an interesting thread, personally I love noise and always have. I was fascinated at the age of 10 by a documentary on Stockhausen and had a favorite Disney record (yellow vinyl) where a female vocalist went crazy at the end of every verse.

Just yesterday the grounds crew had 6 gas powered leaf blowers going and I sat right in the middle, they thought I was nuts.
Old 4th May 2018, 02:52 AM   #24
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

I scored lower than I would expect on that test but I'm fairly easy to auditory overload and certain noises will make me apoplectic. Then again we all have done tendencies.
Old 4th May 2018, 03:32 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
This is an interesting thread, personally I love noise and always have. I was fascinated at the age of 10 by a documentary on Stockhausen and had a favorite Disney record (yellow vinyl) where a female vocalist went crazy at the end of every verse.

Just yesterday the grounds crew had 6 gas powered leaf blowers going and I sat right in the middle, they thought I was nuts.

I am the same way.

What some might find to be excessive, unbearably loud or fundamentally unmusical cacophony I find incredibly satisfying.

From Hijokaidan to Brotzmann to Stockhausen to Henry Flynt to Red Krayola and so on.

There is something meditative and cleansing, perhaps zen, about it. To me itís more connected to primal/tribal human music than what is charting these days. Itís like 21st Century Gamelan I suppose.

I wonder if drone or noise music might be perhaps more attractive to those on the spectrum because of this cleansing / drowning out feature. In a world of constant noise / interference, it seems the only way sometimes to silence it is to completely drown it out and assault it on its own turf.

Leaf blowers.... just call it suburban raga and you can sell 500 private press LPs of it with handmade covers. Maybe even include a leaf or two in the sleeve.

Thatís not to say I donít enjoy soft, peaceful music or singer/songwriters or what have you. But, friends of mine are concerned when I become at the helm of music choice lets put it that way.

Someone once referred to my taste as liking lopsided music made by lopsided people. However, for me this is the truest vantage point and I would not have it any other way.

YouTube
Old 4th May 2018, 05:03 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

An interesting piece from something I read here:

Auditory Processing in High-Functioning Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder

Consistent with previous literature [69]Ė[72] we found a high instance of absolute pitch processing in our population with ASD (11% compared to 0% in the control group). Unlike tests for absolute pitch used in previous studies, which required participants to have musical training because the tasks involved naming notes according to Western notational conventions, we used a task that did not require formal musical training. Thus, we show that the previous findings also extend to those without musical training. Although absolute pitch is sometimes considered to be a gift, the more complex, but very common, ability to process relative pitch (comparing the pitch distance between two tones) is more important for both music and speech processing because it enables recognition of melodies and prosodic patterns across high or low pitch registers. It is also interesting that relative pitch typically develops early, with evidence that infants at least as young as 6 months recognize melodies transposed to higher or lower pitch registers [63]Ė[66]. The prevalence of absolute pitch in ASD, then, is consistent with early abnormalities in brain development. It is also consistent with the general prevalence of savant syndromes in ASD, which is about 10% [110]. In the typical population, the presence of absolute pitch is associated with early experience on a fixed-pitch instrument, leading researchers to speculate that it develops when there is a genetic predisposition combined with a particular environment [111]. In our ASD population, there was no evidence of greater musical experience in those with absolute pitch, suggesting that ASD may involve a genetic propensity for absolute pitch.
Old 4th May 2018, 06:53 AM   #27
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post

Someone I know from another internet forum is also an electronics engineer with Asperger's. He once had to have his head scanned in an MRI scanner. Normal people dislike having to lie still for 20 minutes or so in a cold tunnel while hearing loud banging noises, but he loved every minute of it. He had read up on MRI scanning in advance, knew exactly what each sound meant and was completely fascinated by the whole procedure.
Old 4th May 2018, 07:21 AM   #28
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
Everyone has autistic and neurotypical traits, do you give a damn whether your autistic traits exceed the threshold the shrinks agreed to in their latest psychiatric manual?

If you do or if you are just curious, have you tried the autism quotient test?
I find the test a bit questionable because it's counting neurotic tendencies and social anxiety in the autistic category. To me, the most defining trait of high-functioning ASD is the inability to read others in social situations. For me, it's the dead giveaway along with uncharacteristic honesty.
Old 4th May 2018, 07:34 AM   #29
dabore84 is offline dabore84  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The Dutch composer Jaap van Zweden (his son is autistic) started a foundation couple of years ago that primary uses musical therapy to ease the autism response. The musical therapy has positive effect in almost all cases.
Home - Stichting Papageno
Old 4th May 2018, 07:40 AM   #30
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I find the test a bit questionable because it's counting neurotic tendencies and social anxiety in the autistic category. To me, the most defining trait of high-functioning ASD is the inability to read others in social situations. For me, it's the dead giveaway along with uncharacteristic honesty.
I've known two recently, what upset me was that they were very controlling and abusive to their parents both physically and emotionally who basically lived in fear of them.

Autism and Responses to Auditory StimuliHide this!Advertise here!