Bob and Alice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It fits right in with all the other "scientific" bullet points.

You know the funniest thing in all this is that if someone tried to get GPS to work well enough from total ignorance of relativity they probably would have discovered it. The corrections to get cm resolution go far beyond the basic one which by itself makes the whole system useless in hours if not corrected.

So I ask Mr. jfetter the usual question, if you put a clock in orbit and it keeps different time where is the intellectual curiosity to figure out why?

Last edited:
You know the funniest thing in all this is that if someone tried to get GPS to work well enough from total ignorance of relativity they probably would have discovered it. The corrections to get cm resolution go far beyond the basic one which by itself makes the whole system useless in hours if not corrected.

So I ask Mr. jfetter the usual question, if you put a clock in orbit and it keeps different time where is the intellectual curiosity to figure out why?

Sir the answer is obvious.
The crux is not when you perceive but where perceived.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have some of the original documents on GPS and it’s inner workings. I researched it out of curiosity while getting my instrument rating with Regards to how WAAS works. It would appear I trust my *** to Einstein flying in the clouds and I am 100% okay with that. Really solid thinking and engineering to make it work and relativistic effects are a big part of that. Like Scott says it falls apart fast without the corrections.

Good answer, you don't care.

Of course I care, why would I bother to test the current thinking?
Nothing is to be gained personally.

My own experiments (years ago) demonstrated that we are still on a very low level of understanding of our physical reality. ie living matter and inanimate matter.

I still use electrical constants known to be accurate.
But somewhere between 1900 and 1930 the historic physics view went astray.

Then in 1948-52 seems like we picked up on thinking again. ie the semiconductor pioneers.

So now in last ten years or so I have been focused more on the bio aspect of spin physics. Moving slowly, for example I still do not have a handle on sample handling. Had a hunch classic labware was a poison at least in the sense of remote coupled cells, where are the bounds? The remote cell could be influenced
or inherit a trait of the labware. But its a lot of fun and interesting.

No problem understanding how the gentleman can be immune from certain logic.

People who would try to persuade him by logical argument are on as much of a hopeless quest as he is, but somehow they can't as easily see their own irrationality in this situation by their hanging on the silly belief he might be persuaded.

Sorry, if that sounded rude in some way. It was just intended as a disinterested (in the present discussion) observation by someone passing by.

Last edited:
No problem understanding how the gentleman can be immune from certain logic.

Not sure logic is the problem, today you can probably rent a couple of atomic clocks and send one up to the 50th floor and back again and see the effect with your own eyes. So don't trust any instruments made after 1900, they're all part of the Illuminati conspiracy? Who's to blame Agilent, Otis Elevator, both, they're all in on it right.:rolleyes:

Not sure logic is the problem, today you can probably rent a couple of atomic clocks and send one up to the 50th floor and back again and see the effect with your own eyes. So don't trust any instruments made after 1900, they're all part of the Illuminati conspiracy? Who's to blame Agilent, Otis Elevator, both, they're all in on it right.:rolleyes:
You need an SUV full of atomic clocks. Scroll down to Experiment for the Executive Summary:
Project GREAT 2016a -- Hawking, Einstein, and Time Dilation on Mt Lemmon

Some psychologists believe that humans have an over-sensitive agency detector. Example: you walk in the forest and a small branch falls on your head. You look up and exclaim, "who did that?" The tendency is to look first and foremost for a mind being somehow behind the event. That it would happen by sheer random chance is doesn't seem possible. It doesn't feel right.

Speculation is that there is some survival benefit, or there was in our ancestors, to such a reaction.

It was the tree spirits, of course. I think all of mythology could be used in support of that thesis.

Not to get into that R word.

On the subject of persuasion, social psychologists have long been aware that to have more than a snowballs chance it has to be 1. Interesting/Persuasive 2. Attack a weakly held belief.

Otherwise, its a Sisyphean pursuit akin to self inflicted torture. It tells us more about the inner life of persuader than whatever problem they may be presently addressing.

Most commenting here are not good at 1 nor addressing an instance of 2, despite having impeccable logic.

Do you really want to change this persons mind, or make yourself feel “right” or “vindicated” on the Internet?

Further reading:

Winning Arguments: Interaction Dynamics and Persuasion Strategies in Good-faith Online Discussions

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1602.01103v1.pdf

According to science, you are all failing.

Last edited:
You missed the speed of sound in water thread. Science prevailed and we all stayed friends.

I agree with Dave but would add propagating some of the misinformation here has a hidden or not so hidden financial interest.

Just reflecting on what I’ve seen. I’m sure there are outliers.

That’s certainly possible / likely. I just believe there may be better (less exasperating, more fruitful) ways to address these issues.

I rarely see DF say anything that could be construed as friendly, for example.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.