Bananas for tinitus!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
perhaps rubbing banana oil on some wood and mounting my amplifier to the wood...
Perhaps rubbing banana oil on some wood and mounting it over your ears will protect your hearing? :cool:

...remember the snake oil guy with the magic varnish ?
Magic ancient varnish has also been invoked as the reason why a 17th century Stradivarius is worth millions today.

(Even though two fairly comprehensive tests have shown that musicians actually prefer modern violins that cost far less than 'Strads: Million-dollar Strads fall to modern violins in blind ‘sound check’ | Science | AAAS )

Snake oil and magic varnish are everywhere!

-Gnobuddy

Snake oil in the health industry now too?

YouTube

Health industry involves world's top leading snake oil and that is a long time before electronics arrive...

An unpromising choice of comparison: it turns out that, contrary to what the dairy industry has been saying for decades, drinking milk doesn't strengthen your bones, it does the opposite: drinking milk increases your chance of osteoporosis and bone fracture!

References:
1) Fact or Myth: Does Osteoporosis and Drinking Milk Have A Connection? | Underground Health Reporter

2) Why Is Milk Consumption Associated with More Bone Fractures? | NutritionFacts.org

3) Milk is a poor preventer of osteoporosis | ScienceNordic

In a recent thread on diyAudio about loudness-induced hearing damage, someone posted electron microscope images showing patches of hair-cells in the inner ear that had been destroyed by excessive loudness. I can't think of a way in which any of the minerals found in bananas can possibly prevent or reverse this damage.

Worth noting: the original ABC.net.au story includes the words "It doesn't mean that if you eat a lot of bananas, which are rich in potassium, it would cure the hearing loss but it can help maintain the optimum level of potassium to preserve the hearing."

So the claim seems to be that bananas can't reverse existing hearing loss, but might possibly maintain potassium levels that might possibly reduce additional hearing loss? It really isn't very clear.

-Gnobuddy

I was reading those articles and I had the same impression as when a newbie in electronics :rolleyes: finds how to eliminate psu ripple just to end to a very high impedance... Milk is vital for children and nature made them able to digest it. Milk will help to increase calsium levels up to the age of 25. From there on the best we can do is maintain those levels. Eventualy, they will start decreasing no matter what we do. Osteoblasts will die together with the rest of us :p and not because of overloading. But there is a problem with milk and older people because we gradually loose the ability to digest it. Vitamin D means nothing without the sun and that is surely missed in Norway.

Our body needs a tiny amount of potassium daily. Perhaps one bite of a banana? I don't know for sure. If there is no banana around we will take potassium from other sources. It could be many things, even junk food but then it will come along with fat and Exxx. But this isn't a reason not to eat those if you want my humble opinion. Just don't eat only that. And not only bananas.

Australia was found in the middle of this. It makes me wonder... It surely is in the middle of America and Asia. Is there a chinese competitor for united fruit?

PS. Banana is oneof the most easier word to type!

Magic ancient varnish has also been invoked as the reason why a 17th century Stradivarius is worth millions today.

(Even though two fairly comprehensive tests have shown that musicians actually prefer modern violins that cost far less than 'Strads: Million-dollar Strads fall to modern violins in blind ‘sound check’ | Science | AAAS )

I heard a long discussion amongst some classic musicians about this on the radio a while back.
It is not about the inherent sound quality, it is about the each specific individuals connection with the instrument. The musicians often have several variations of an instrument, each with it's own small differences and quirks, for some things a off-the-shelf violin may be good enough, a modern violin hand made especially for the person involved for most uses, and sometimes a Stradivarius for the right occasion.
*Knowing* the weaknesses of an instrument, and using them as a benefit can be seen as a challenge, it takes time to adapt to an instrument and circumventing every small weakness.

Last edited:
*Knowing* the weaknesses of an instrument, and using them as a benefit can be seen as a challenge, it takes time to adapt to an instrument and circumventing every small weakness.
Sure, makes sense, particularly for musicians at such a rarefied level of ability.

But since every instrument - from $50,000 modern violin to $16,000,000 Stradivarius - has weaknesses, why take on a life-long debt simply to rent a less-good, and much more expensive, multi-million dollar Stradivarius? Why not start with a proven better-sounding $50,000 modern violin, and then spend your practice time learning its weaknesses and strengths?

(I am not exaggerating about the price, take a look: https://www.cmuse.org/12-most-expensive-violins/ )

It's the same story with diamonds. You can now buy synthetic (human-made, lab created) diamonds which are larger and more perfect in every way than the ones nature creates. Chemically they are identical - this is not like fake wood veneer, which isn't wood at all. Lab created diamonds are real diamonds, in every way. And better quality than the ones you get from sending people down into dangerous, hot, deep mines.

So did the natural diamonds fall in price when the better lab created diamonds became available? Nope, De Beers and the billions of dollars of money in the diamond industry saw to it that this did not happen. Instead, they managed to (a) raise the price of lab-created diamonds, and (b) convince people that the better diamonds are actually worth less!

Snake oil really is everywhere, from bananas to 'Strads to diamonds!

-Gnobuddy

Regarding: "Why not start with a proven better-sounding $50,000 modern violin, and then spend your practice time learning its weaknesses and strengths?"
Yes, this is exatly what happens, nobody starts off with a 1 000 000-16 000 000 $ violin. Or 50 000$ for that matter, starting to learn the violin is not expensive, there are many beginner violins that are quite cheap. A custom one made for you is the point where it starts becoming serious.
I understand the price is correct, but let's switch this around: What are you, or anyone you know personally, going to make/produce/create in your lifetime (From wood nonetheless!), that still works flawlessly and can be actively used after 3-400 years?

What has changed in the recent years, is not the skill of the violin/other instrument maker, but probably increased accuracy of measurement tools, and the flow of information between instrument makers. Those are probably the only reasons a modern violin is better.
Well, other than machined parts, and not just hoping the blacksmith has a strong sense for minor detail.

Comparing a diamond to a violin "does not compute". The diamond is a rock that's made to look all nice and polished, and because some people are like magpies around stuff that glitters, does not mean it has any real value.
I expect more from grown sapphire, which can be used for screen protection in rough use scenarios.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.