Stephen Hawking R.I.P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'll let you know after I watched it ;-)

Jan

Yes I did like it, although I found it heavy on drama and light on physics. But that's a general audience for you I guess.

I gather that Roger Penrose was some sort of a mentor for him, didn't know that. Penrose is another giant, his 'The Road to Reality' is another one of my favorites.

Jan

jan - realizing that the film was essentially a love tribute based on one of his first wife's memoirs, that was probably understandable. For me, it was Eddie's physical acting that was outstanding. The only other performance I can recall being so affecting was John Hurt's in Elephant Man - and that was aided by tons of make-up.

But I digress.

What is often overlooked about Stephen is that he was wickedly funny, and his zingers being voiced by the synthesizer made them even more trenchant.

Not cold fusion, but this is interesting:

I think Mr. H can rest easy.

In contrast, Rocca's team of students, research scientists and collaborators, work with an ultra fast, high-powered tabletop laser they built from scratch. They use their fast, pulsed laser to irradiate a target of invisible wires and instantly create extremely hot, dense plasmas - with conditions approaching those inside the sun. These plasmas drive fusion reactions, giving off helium and flashes of energetic neutrons.

I never actually read A Brief History of Time, as it sounded a little intimidating, but I read An Even Briefer History of Time years ago when it came out in paperback.

Certainly a brilliant and fascinating man, and seemingly down to earth. I loved the skit when Jim Carrey was on a talk show (maybe promoting Dumb and Dumber To?) and took a real cellphone call from him pretending that they were buddies and spoke all the time.

I thought the movie was great, but acknowledge the bias and controversy about some playing with facts.

While good, I don't think I would put Redmayne's performance up there with John Hurt and his peers. I think the gold standard for acting in difficult roles where the subject is physically or mentally challenged and thus impedes the actor would be Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.