Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

A very good article about amp musicality vs measurement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2018, 05:46 AM   #1
gaetan8888 is offline gaetan8888  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default A very good article about amp musicality vs measurement

Hello

I've just read a very good article about amp musicality vs measurement and about low or no nfb amps. Here's the link:

A Future Without Feedback? | Stereophile.com

After reading it, tell me your thoughts about it.

Bye

Gaetan
Old 8th March 2018, 07:19 AM   #2
destroyer X is offline destroyer X  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default i have created one that way

I cannot publish as no one did that way....say, the way i did....and it is so obvious that nobody made it.

Future, maybe imigrate to New Zeland.... their a Dx factory, receiving parts from China...then i will implement the idea

regards,

Carlos
Old 8th March 2018, 08:29 AM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Don't you love threads with "vs" in the title?
Old 8th March 2018, 08:44 AM   #4
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Meh. People prefer listening to "warm" sound with lots of 2nd harmonic distortion - no new news there. They also like bass boost - my NAD 3020 has some moderate bass boost with the controls at zero, and I attribute that to this amplifier's popularity.

But so what. I can add 2nd harmonic distortion to a clean amplifier. Bit harder to remove it from an amplifier that generates it by default.

Amplifiers shouldn't colour the sound - use other components to do that.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:45 AM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The article merely trots out the usual 'true believer' stuff. He doesn't like feedback, yet is happy with degeneration (which is feedback) and triodes (which get their linearity from feedback).

He describes an amplifier as having "obvious competence" despite a highish output impedance and wobbly frequency response; two things which clearly show incompetence. At that point I stopped reading.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:48 AM   #6
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Martin Colloms is an odd one. Both the writer of a very good book on speaker design and someone with a few half decent designs under his belt but also a total Kook in some areas.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:04 AM   #7
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

Reference to a1975 blind test. This has no value. Who knows how it was achieved. Only a double blind test can prove something. This is what's done on medical drugs a test field where placebo effect is well known. Any other sort of test in audio is bogus. The OP is just another futile attack against negative feedback.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:12 AM   #8
destroyer X is offline destroyer X  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default I have made something alike

Here is a video message Gaetan and forum friends.

YouTube

regards,

Carlos
Old 8th March 2018, 12:08 PM   #9
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The amp should reproduce the recording as it is. If you want to colour the sound, that's what equalisers and tone controls are for. The amp shouldnt sound of anything.
Old 8th March 2018, 12:33 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I don’t think the topic is about amps “coloring” the sound, it was about audible difference if any between zero global feedback vs little or no global feedback. Local feedback is always there and probably unavoidable.

Suppose you have two amps both with, say 10ppm THD (I know, I know, 10ppm is so pedestrian with zero distortionistas ), and one uses no global feedback, whilst other uses lots of it to achieve same 10ppm THD - what is the effect on our perception to the music produced, all else being equal?

Last edited by xrk971; 8th March 2018 at 12:35 PM.

A very good article about amp musicality vs measurementHide this!Advertise here!