Bad earth ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If your earthworms are not working as expected then perhaps this is why:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSCF4148.JPG
    DSCF4148.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 87
The house that I lived in for 37 years in Florida had a pool. The pool had a mechanical timer to operate the pump which contained a set of exposed contacts switching 240 volts. This was all enclosed in a grounded metal box mounted on a wall about a foot off the ground.

Several times each summer during the rainy season the backyard would flood and often remain under water for several hours or more. The overflowing pool water contained chlorine. The earthworms would crawl out of the saturated earth searching for a warm dry place. On a few occasions a few of them would find their way into the pool pump timer box, and one or more would wind up on those 240 volt contacts. A fried earthworm can trip a 20 amp breaker, make a big stink and turn the inside of the box all black and sooty.

Ditto, fire ants......those little critters are remarkably conductive.

It is usually slugs that make the outdoor electrics blow here in the UK.
I have just started getting the ground ready for food crops and I found hundreds of earth worms in some very grotty soil that I had been recycling. It had been mixed with kitchen scraps and left for 6 months and the worms had fixed it.
The birds like them too. Birds are pretty fussy about what end goes in first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.