John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be sure, my main concern here is that supplements are unregulated (and contaminated more often than not), which might be a risk to healthy kidneys, more so damaged ones. I apologize if my language implied anything other than wishing everyone the best of health outcomes.

Last edited:
That is the next stage up in drugs that prevents full digestion. Zantac and Tagamet pretty much reduce acid production. Prilosec is intended to be used for short periods only as it prevents full digestion function. So of course some folks use it regularly.

Best solution is the hard one, don't over eat, loose weight and stay away from foods that cause heartburn.

My grandma lives on it. I have no idea how she endlessly continues. But she has some things that should be healthier.

Hernia's are a huge problem that make people use it often, and they pay the price.

Most people gain a TON of weight when they go on one.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I see one or more of these 10 commandments of logic being trashed often. Maybe they should be a part of the forum RULES?

Do you see any of them that you do?

10 commandments of Logic.jpg

-RNM

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Richard
I do all of them and more (it’s not only 10). I always realize it only after I fall on each trap.
Which forum rule is against anyone of them?

The subject of logic fallacies has been mentioned and links provided repeatedly.
Aristotle's Logic (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Aristotle's Logic is considered a philosophical subject.
It isn’t and it never was.
It was a work intended to aid citizens how to properly value what they heard from public speakers and politicians who often used the power of speech for to mislead.
Sophist - Wikipedia

George

In philosophy dichotomy means something must logically be one thing or another, it cannot logically be both. By your definition then, a 'real' dichotomy is not necessarily a logical dichotomy? It is something independent from a 'logical' dichotomy. But, we are free to leave off the 'real' and 'logical' qualifiers in normal usage and treat them as linguistically equivalent? If so, then no wonder people don't use logic properly.

George, if I may suggest, the problem is not so much that philosophy is segregated. It is that human biases of thought are ubiquitous and difficult to overcome. It is a problem of cognitive psychology, more than of philosophy. The solutions, to the extent solutions are possible will probably come more through debiasing research than forced rule following. The latter just doesn't work well to overcome most cognitive biases.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mark I am the last who would claim I am using logic properly.
It is also words have their initial meaning and another one, established in some specific fields of study.

I take “dichotomy” means the action of cutting something in two, separating something in two parts (thus “segregation” as you wrote)
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=dichotomy

I’d love to see philosophy sensed and experienced as a not scholar entity, rather as a living process (like spoken language). The same experience drown out from reading Diogenes Laertius -- Lives of Eminent Philosophers

George

Attachments

• dl.PNG
    dl.PNG
    70.2 KB · Views: 243
Well folks, perhaps it is time to get back to the topic of audio design.
Sorry Richard, that your kidneys are suddenly acting up. It is what people, our age, face in our later years. I hope that I don't get the same thing, but only the next blood test (that I am avoiding) will tell, or something else.
Marsh's amp looks good, and it is apparently designed with everything talked about here for optimum quality: Big heatsinks for near Class A operation over a reasonable power, (reduces or removes high order harmonic (IM) generation ), excellent open loop bandwidth, on purpose, adequate power supply, high speed for low TIM, direct coupling, etc. I can certainly see why this might be the amp that you put in your system permanently.

Negative feedback in amps like this is not so bad, so long as the open loop bandwidth is as high as possible. I personally use a fair amount of negative feedback in my Parasound designs as well, but my open loop bandwidth might be somewhat less than the Marsh amp, because my stability compensation is typical, rather than unusual. I have now in my system, a new power amp, after about 20 years, called the JC-5. It is my latest effort to make something 'affordable' (not to most here), powerful (too powerful into 8 ohms in my opinion), and minimum higher order distortion (not perfect), etc.
Now why do I say: 'Too powerful?' Well, the marketing department wanted 400W into 8 ohms, but my speaker is 2-4 ohms and it does less well into this load. Not in terms of measured power, but the loss of a large Class A region, due to the extended rail voltages. You can only get so much heat from a heatsink without going too high in operation temperature. I more heavily biased my personal unit, but it would not be practical for production, or continuous operation. I would prefer a 300W, 8ohm output amp, with more idle current, but the marketing department made that trade-off. It is still pretty good, and will reside in my system indefinitely. (I doubt that I will live another 20 years)

I am associated with the design of a power amp that uses switching amps (Bruno's) as variable power supply rails. It works pretty well, BUT it has too much residual RFI generation for my taste. It isn't even measurable without extra filters. I can carry it under my arm, and it has about 300W/ch. Still I prefer pure linear Class A circuitry. (Fets preferred) I am working on a 'better' power amp, but it will be too big for my living room, but it will be almost all fet (except for the output stage) and more Class A than the JC-5. More expensive too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.