John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
George,

MD had already started working in the US before the war. She was approached by the Nazis' and asked to help support them while they wrete still rising to power. That is when she decided to get US citizenship. She during the war toured and entertained Allied troops.

Not surprisingly she was not warmly welcomed back after the war.

Although she did retire in Germany.

So as much as the Vietnam war was felt here, MD had a lot more to feel.

Thanks George good links.

Then also sung by Peter, Paul, and Mary; The First Time Ever (I saw your face). LINK TFTE1

NOTE: This song is incorrectly attributed to Ewan MacColl who claims he wrote the song for Peggy Seeger. Ewan MacColl a.k.a. James Henry Miller, bought the rights to that song along with two other songs which my buddy Sandy sold to MCA Records. Maybe JHM was working for MCA at the time I don't know. Anyway, Sandy told me he was broke at the time and he needed the money. Sandy also told me that the other two songs were just as good and will make someone another million on each. I've not been able to find the other two songs.

Sandy wrote the song when 14 years old when he met this gal while he was in a band playing guitar. He wrote it for the love of his life at the time. Sadly, she fell for the drummer and life goes on.

The best known and probably the most beautiful version of the song is the one featured in Uncle Clint's Play Misty For Me.

It is sung by Roberta Flack: LINK TFTE2 And Roberta's Piano version: LINK TFTE3

Enjoy, these last two are about the most beautiful ever recorded.

Cheers,

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The best known and probably the most beautiful version of the song is the one featured in Uncle Clint's Play Misty For Me.

It is sung by Roberta Flack: LINK TFTE2 And Roberta's Piano version: LINK TFTE3

Enjoy, these last two are about the most beautiful ever recorded.

Thanks Sync, a marvelous song.
Something is wrong with the mixing, very obvious at the start, don’t you think? TFTE2

George

George, Maybe it is dumping over to youtube wasn't quite right. I think maybe if record RIAA equalization reversed? Overly bass-ie and flabby.

But these are just my 'puter system and speakers...not listening system. Both version's are similar in flabbyness.

I found Joni Mitchell here: LINK Amy Winehouse is down below.

And for my buddy Sandy, he's a funny guy, multi-talented was in Boston Pops Children's Orchestra, he was a big Joni Mitchell fan and covered some of her tunes, Circle Game, etc.

He is also not shy about giving Roberta Flack credit and her talent. He was like Holy ****, can you believe that? We'd have to coax him along to play his "song" and when he did, he'd explain how great Ms.

Flack did it with that voice and her arrangement. He really was an okay guitar player and the original version is okay.

We'd usually see each other down in the piano rooms playing the day away. Me dodging my undergraduate studies, he trying to drown himself away from his Major Professor who was quite adept at keeping his PhD candidates under his thumb and research dollars coming in.

I became well versed with Theodore Streleski's predicament as my colleagues at the time were grad students and when questioned all informed me that they too would have done the same thing. LINK Which lead's me to our friend Pete Seeger: LINK

Cheers,

PS - Pete's recording on YouTube isn't bad at all. (1956).

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
all informed me that they too would have done the same thing. LINK Which lead's me to our friend Pete Seeger: LINK

Very good Sync.
Now replacing the hammer with a song was a good public suggestion and the proper thing to do IMO.

PS - Pete's recording on YouTube isn't bad at all. (1956)

Why should it be bad? By 1956, a lot of recording experience had already been accumulated. :)

George

Attachments

• Indian chief.PNG
    Indian chief.PNG
    404.7 KB · Views: 288
  • rec.PNG
    rec.PNG
    616.1 KB · Views: 288
I just got in my pair of loudspeakers from Parts Express. Model 300-651 Dayton Audio B652-AIR 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker with AMT Tweeter Pair.

Retail on sale is under $50/pair shipping was $11.00.

Absolutely unbelievable price performance. Whaddayakno Stereophile hit a winner.

On another front, I emailed the Harman guys to get a return authorization to send back one of their new dual diaphragm drivers for repair. First response was wrong web address as I pulled if from their website. Second response was removing the driver from the loudspeaker would void the warranty. So I asked if they would pay the $15,000 per day for the crane rental! They haven't picked up I am a private warranty repair center. They have stopped issuing the repair data packages as no one is left at JBL from service administration. So I may order the repair kit and see how they do the service center reimbursement, can't believe they are still using the 20 year old paper forms I got when set up as a warranty center.

Minor problem is I can't figure out how to open it!

Status
Not open for further replies.