John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I was looking at the latest hunk of hogged from solid stereophile has reviewed and noted IMD was some 20dB worse than the humble LM3886. X-ref the JC-1 , which is about the same (so still 20dB worse than the chipamp). But both are around 30dB better than the minimum in Dave's presentation, so hopefully good enough.

Shame AP can't lend stereophile the latest tester so they can do multitone tests as would be interested to see how they perform on that.

My concern is with the physical wiring, which simulation is not setup to model. When an amplifier is pushing a hard load and runs through all four quads, the hf lower power current is being driven with alternate rails. So rail wiring currents are not simple, and the rail current magfield is not a good representation of output current. As you clearly show, the hf content is alternately being driven by two physical rails. If those rails were delivering current using either a triaxial or three layer stripline, rail magfield could be ignored. If the output stages are physically located apart, is the supply return current for each output stage field neutralized by return path proximity?

Perhaps this is a really dumb question stemmed from looking at problem in the wrong way, but won't the local supply bypass (e.g. energy storage/capacitance sitting right on the output transistors) greatly reduce the bandwidth of this problem, as seen by the remainder of the power supply/wiring?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I believe that the RTX unit that a few people have here will, with the Virtins pro integrations allow this to be done. Might allow a few issues to be put to bed, even though you poo poo'd it a week ago.

What? I don't think so. I have an AP that can do multi-tones. I suggested it a long time ago here. AP suggests it also instead of single tone sine wave tests.

You should try it.

Stereophile should do it also. They can rent one or buy one.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
@RNM: Has anyone proved people are actually hearing the ultrasound or something else. There does seem to be a case of correlation but not causality going one here.

Yes. ?? Unsighted, Bob Jones will tell you when you just turned on the ultra sonic alarm and when you turned it off. Karen Richardson, too.

??

-RNM

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
What? I don't think so. I have an AP that can do multi-tones. I suggested it a long time ago here. AP suggests it also instead of single tone sine wave tests.

You should try it.

-RNM
Yes you did
Seems expensive to me.... I didnt pay that much for the ShibaSoku 725D on e-Bay. I havent found any sound card type product with the ability to Accurately measure individual harmonics below -110dbv. They may show something below that but it cant be depended upon to be real data info.

I would argue being able to measure distortion whilst playing actual music into actual speakers would be a BIG step forward in what we can find out about an amplifier.

I've posted the multitone measurement for the power amplifier I am using many times. You have the AP, where is the plot for Damir's? I expect it will be superbly good, but not seen it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not really, that's just a pretty blinkenlight to show you when something has gone horribly wrong. With the RTX there is the possibility of actually measuring THD whilst you are listening to music at your preferred listening levels. It should be very informative if it works well.

You could extract the diff signal across the input LTP but that would be just the residual. Basically a Hafler test. Not sure how you would post process that though.

There is a residual error unaccounted for if you do this with a CFA. You know, the feedback current that does not exist. :rolleyes:

Making a bridge out of the input and the output divided by the gain (with phase compensation) gives a better accounting for more cases.

Two things,

using cymbals to illustrate the problem has a problem in propagation. A cymbal mostly represents a point source of acoustic energy. Very few HF or UHF speaker sources can begin to approximate a point source within a room. The power spectra is not even close and will dramatically change the perception within that space. ie, not a valid test.

As was noted (I believe Scott) condensor mics have large resonances in the top of their range. (HF) To move away from this in condensor mics one has to get smaller so as to move the inherent resonance up in freq, 1/2", 1/4" or even 1/8th inch. They get progressively noisier and flatter higher up, but still have damped resonances in the HF passband. (needed to make it usable/acceptable) To me this colors the sound a fair amount, this seems to be desirable to many producers, witness the preponderance of large diaphragm condensors.

The mics that do not have this upper resonance are ribbon mics and to a lesser extent dynamics(they have many other problems). Ribbon mics tend to have their inherent resonance at low frequencies (say 5- 20 Hz). Dynamic mics are a more complex bag and have many things going on, making them less interesting a source vs the less "complex" condensor or ribbon mic.

Just a couple comments to limit the choices of off the cuff testing.

Cheers
Alan

And HF loss to air meaning what the drummer hears on his/her cymbals is a far cry what the audience hears (at least in an unamplified venue; amplified, we run into the very thing Alan discusses)

This problem only gets worse with frequency, too.

Also someone mentioned needing to shut off ultrasonic alarms/etc: a lot of times those aren't even ultrasonic, but rather in the 15k range (again, HF loss). The "ultrasonic" rodent repellents (of dubious utility) that family friends have at their beach cottage make me nauseous, albeit no one else in my family seems bothered by them. Whatever sound they're putting out was definitely audible, and also probably in the 15k range.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you use even the most simple distortion magnifier, such as Bob Cordell's any sound card is more than adequate for the task.
May I ask what is the purpose of injecting a fraction of Amp-out past the nulling stage?
Also how phase adjustment is done when the test signal is not of a single frequency (say a dual tone 60Hz and 7kHz)?

George

Attachments

• distortion magnifier.PNG
    distortion magnifier.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 327
George -- I believe that was for older distortion meters that needed (albeit attenuated) fundamental harmonic in order to lock on and produce a THD+N number. With a sound card input, absolutely no need for a re-injection.

Can't help with the phase adjust part, though. Best fit?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Daniel for answering.
I had a very simple distortion magnifier from some decades back to use with an oscilloscope (2 transistor long tail pair, single ended amp, resistors & capacitors, Wireless World, Circuit Ideas).
Now, when using a sound card to record the input and output signal, everything can be done in SW through a wave editor.
Phase invert one channel (if needed), synchronize (thus the question for phase adjust), equalize amplitudes, save as mono, sw amplify. It is around a 10 minutes work.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.