John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you want a metric for the effectiveness of a topology, divide feedback by THD. So say you have 80db/-100db. The metric is 180db. (my current amp in simulation has 260db at 20KHz, 130db/-130db).

If you want a metric for the simplicity of a topology, divide that by number of solder joints.

I wonder which amps would score the highest?

You could do the same thing with PSRR.

Maybe use no of P/N and N/P transitions in signal path so to cover for IC also...

//

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ch-preamplifier-iii-input_noise_isolation-jpg

Recipe for disaster in my experience, and EMC giants like H.W.Ott would certainly agree. To work it needs the small signal part fully shielded because the whole inside of the outer chassis is polluted with radiated RF from the incoming cable shield. Relying on some distance as indicated in the drawing isn't enough with today's levels of GHz-ish RF.

Place the star ground at the RCA socket instead?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ch-preamplifier-iii-input_noise_isolation-jpg

Recipe for disaster in my experience, and EMC giants like H.W.Ott would certainly agree. To work it needs the small signal part fully shielded because the whole inside of the outer chassis is polluted with radiated RF from the incoming cable shield. Relying on some distance as indicated in the drawing isn't enough with today's levels of GHz-ish RF.
Did you miss the fact that the incoming cable shield isn't connected to the chassis except at the 'star point'?

It challenges the world view, but I reckon worth investigating further.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
That IS exactly the problem. A shielded cable going inside a chassis is a (unwanted) signal and needs its own shield to avoid emission.

The shield is grounded at both ends. As JN said
I take advantage of the fact that a cylindrical shield has no internal magnetic field caused by the shield current. So, I kept the shield grounding connection to IEC chassis, but figured out how to prevent that current from getting into the signal.
If the coax was terminating onto the PCB I would agree with you entirely. But it doesn't. It goes against what we have been taught to think, but I think is worth exploring, at least for those who haven't wussed out like me and Scott.

The shield is grounded at both ends. As JN said

If the coax was terminating onto the PCB I would agree with you entirely. But it doesn't. It goes against what we have been taught to think, but I think is worth exploring, at least for those who haven't wussed out like me and Scott.
I see only one shield to chassis connection, and that is at the internal star GND. For RF the shield isn't well connected because of its inductance and that that's why this cable may re-radiate the current on it's shield into the enclose were it will echo around and creep into low-level circuits, causing demodulation. The audo signal is clean and well referenced, but the radiated emission from the incoming shield has been neglected. I'm shure a device built like this is prone to pick up the usual 218Hz TMDA noise from nearby cell phones. A bunch of ferrites would take care of that, or a shielding of the shielded cable to keep the RF outside of the enclosure. Of course, when the enclosure isn't a good shield because of larger openings etc RF will still enter...

Look at it again.

There is text right next to the RCA saying "ground isolation". Maybe it should say "insulated from chassis".

687456d1529310332-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-iii-input_noise_isolation-jpg

Yeah, that is the main point of the image, the arbitrary placement of star ground which we should all discuss. Is it sufficiently arbitrary?

Sorry, I've been watching too many Monty Python clips on youtube.

I think a better text would be "arbitrary placement for brevity".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.