John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What I was drawn to about Damir's design was the results I found when testing it. With only moderate over-all NFB the thd with 4 Ohm load and 20Khz is .001x % at 350W. measured.

The distortion does not change much with power or freq or load. Now that is something new. It is also quiet and fast (high slew rate).

:) <3

I hope all DIY'ers get to build it and hear it or its variations by Damir in their own homes. He has been very generous with his design here at DIYAudio. If we are lucky, he also might sell a bunch of them and get compensated. But, the way I built it, it will be expensive. Sorry, Waly.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The amp made in Thailand has more than 60 dB of GNFB from zero up to 20 kHz.

What I was drawn to about Damir's design was the results I found when testing it. With only moderate over-all NFB the thd with 4 Ohm load and 20Khz is .001x % at 350W. measured.

This is clearly a different definition of 'moderate' that the one I use. As Self quotes around 35dB as being all you need 60dB would seem in the high category?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That sounds like an awesome amplifier. What's the make and model number on it?

-Chris

Model A700 UHR. Brand is MARSH. Reg in Asia for many years. Manufactured by MagnetAudio in Bangkok suburbs, Thailand. Waiting on more funding a.t.t. They are expensive to build, so I only put up enough cash for 3 samples. One for me, one for Damir and one for principal EE at MagnetAudio.

Get in line. :)

-RM

Last edited:
<20-30dB is low, 100+ is high. And what dB's is a two opamp composite ?:eek:

THx-RNMarsh

When you're nominally dealing with -40 dB/decade in a composite, probably best to talk about at what frequency. ;)

100 dB of feedback at 20 kHz? I haven't run the numbers but that's going to need one heck of a fast set of opamps to have the GBW, even with higher order compensation networks in place. That's a fun project in maintaining stability. JCX got going with some of his headphone designs using tpa6120, if I'm remembering my history right. Can't remember his "servo" opamp.

In many old Knob & Tube homes, the Hot and Neutral wires did not have a one-to-one relationship. An electrician wiring an outlet would connect to any handy nearby Neutral wire. Then they had to solder and tape all the wire to wire junctions (open air, not in boxes) and the soldering irons were not electric powered.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Found in Stereophile, July/August 2018

bottom of page 8 (multi page Table Of Contents)

_

Attachments

• greatest.png
    greatest.png
    407.8 KB · Views: 269
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I use a tiny inductive pick up. calibrated. But relative numbers are OK for this purpose.... make your own.

A tiny video recording/playback head works well. Get a used/broken video VHS machine and take the head out and use it into wide band amp, scope, sensitive VM etc. Moving the head in close proxy to a wire will pick up the signal in that wire.

-RNM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.