Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 02:57 AM   #5941
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
There’s a lot to be gained from evidence, so why not provide it?
I guess you must have missed all the discussions about why it isn't provided. Are you by chance a Windows application programmer? We need one willing to do a little work to help advance science. Heck, the programmer can even have the Stereophile award for whatever contribution to proving audibility.

Why don't we have what we need to settle these matters as to who can or can't hear what? Because nobody really cares to know. What does that mean? it means it will cost a little money, and not much, to make very slight modifications to Foobar ABX so it works consistent with the way recording and mastering engineers are trained to listen.

The problem is nobody wants to pay one cent to make it happen. They are perfectly happy to argue in forums, but that's all they really seem to be motivated to do when it comes down to making some progress towards settling issues of audibility.

To his credit, at least Bill seems interested. Thanks, Bill!

Last edited by Markw4; Today at 03:09 AM.
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #5942
spaceistheplace is online now spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

People still use Windows?

Stereophile has plenty of dough. Theyíd just prefer not to flush it down the drain, hence lack of interest in plunking down investment capital.

Who is to say this hasnít already been done but the results where so embarrassing / crippling that it all went into the shredder?

I take it your background isnít in sociology or economics?
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #5943
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
.....the high chair, the whiskey glass, the cigarette and the half finger. Nothing was politically correct on the fellow....
Dave Allen on the Vagaries of the English Language.
Brits and yanks both get a serve, very funny and very clever.

Dan.
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #5944
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I take it your background isnít in sociology or economics?
I once knew a lot about cognitive psychology. Not much impressed by sociologists, or economists, well, maybe except I like Richard Thaler. But, he is kind of chummy with guys like Daniel Kahneman, one of those cognitive psychologists somebody apparently mistook for an economist.
Old Today, 03:50 AM   #5945
spaceistheplace is online now spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Also, just to clarify, you are talking to someone who doesnít believe in the development of an amplifier, dsp, or a loudspeaker as elements in isolation. So, discussion of an amplifierís measurement data and whether one could possibly hear it for me misses the point entirely.

As with Richardís JBLís or Linkwitzís offerings, or the CBT36, or the K IIIís, or the B&O Iíve come to believe that the true modern technical achievements in listening can only be brought about by a holistic approach of the loudspeaker as a combination of these things.

I donít see your considerations as the relevant factors when looked at in context.

I believe the philosophy of separates is outmoded, based on economic considerations and greed and that attempting to glean transformative insights from such a poor original premise a total waste of mental energy in 2018.... maybe you could have gotten me on board in 1985.

Last edited by spaceistheplace; Today at 04:09 AM.
Old Today, 04:17 AM   #5946
SyncTronX is online now SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

That is alright Space, there is a place for separate components. You can insert a different
piece of gear of needed. With and all in one, your kind of screwed. Have to go get a
whole new all-in-one unit and start all over again.

Quote:
As with Richard’s JBL’s or Linkwitz’s offerings, or the CBT36, or the K III’s, or the B&O[sic] I’ve come to believe that the true modern technical achievements in listening can only be brought about by a holistic approach of the loudspeaker as a combination of these things.
So what exactly does this mean?
"...holistic approach of the loudspeaker as a combination of these things."?
I guess you are agreeing with what Richard is searching?

Anything all in one is so jam packed full of it...or maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone have an all-in-one they like? Share the information...please and does
it still work? What do they cost?

Never mind, not worth my time.

Cheers,

Last edited by SyncTronX; Today at 04:23 AM.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!