Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 05:13 PM   #2831
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Linkwitz can be nebulous with his descriptions at times, but the above doesn't sound like the LXmini to me.
maybe. I dont know about them. but Linkwitz has done a very good job of controlling dispersion/polar patterns and attempts at minimizing room influence for far field listening. To me it is still all a compromise because of the room acoustic's large influence.

The more you can take the acoustics out of the picture, the better and more consistent the sound from place to place.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; Today at 05:16 PM.
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #2832
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Right, no exaggeration here really useful too.

He likes art how about three blind audiophiles crossing a bridge.This ranks in my top 10 pieces of art of all time BTW. The Wreck of the Medusa and the Winged Victory of Samothrace remain on top.

The Wreck of the Medusa was profoundly inspiring to see. I think it should really be seen in person if one has the opportunity.

I would place The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa and The Return of the Prodigal Son in this category for myself.

IMG_9032.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

I think the photo by Jeff Widener of Tank Man deserves mention as well.

IMG_9033.JPG

Last edited by spaceistheplace; Today at 05:20 PM.
Old Today, 06:03 PM   #2833
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Like all bipolar radiators - they need a large room as they work best far away from walls. Linkwitz also listens in the far field .. so the room interaction is again a big issue.
Thanks.
Yes, they work best far away from walls.
The omnis and the OBs to an extend work with the room.
So, non optimum placement near the walls - so many times dictated by necessity - retains the character of their sound.

George
Attached Images
File Type: png Linkwitz.PNG (774.8 KB, 87 views)
Old Today, 06:08 PM   #2834
diyAudio Member

Does anyone collect art themselves? I found an Aboriginal artist in Australia ... Clifford Possum ... bought one of his painting for 1000 USD many years ago and had it hanging on my wall. Now his work is in the national museum in Melbourne -- bought for millions. So, I sold mine and bought a new Bangkok condo on posh Sukhumvit road. I am sure it is worth today 10 times what I sold it for because the artist has since died.

It isnt appreciated unless it is interpreted.

DSC01120.jpg

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; Today at 06:15 PM.
Old Today, 06:13 PM   #2835
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

I buy and enjoy art but would not say that I "collect". I'm sure many others feel the same way.
Old Today, 06:22 PM   #2836
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

The LXmini is described here LXmini Challenge
Old Today, 06:41 PM   #2837
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
It isnt appreciated unless it is interpreted.
Art is very personal, folk and outsider art even more so. For instance Eugene Von Bruenchenhein's chicken and turkey bone sculptures adorn many museums as well as his extensive oeuvre of photographs of his wife ("muse") in her negligee. Little did I know that he worked in obscurity only blocks from my childhood home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outsider-3.jpg (78.7 KB, 87 views)
Old Today, 07:05 PM   #2838
diyAudio Member

yes, it is very personal. In the case of aboriginal painter, C.Possum (western name he took),his totem was the possum. His family was responsible for the possum... to protect it. he expressed fear of what will happen to him when he die because he could not/did not protect them from being poisoned to extinction. This painting was of a possum wandering thru the land eating certain fruits and you see the possum foot prints and tail dragging. it is the only personal meaning painting he did. When others realize this, its price will go thru the roof.

I am not even sure anyone will ever know... I learned it from the gallery owner who got the story from the artist himself. And, I have a video of the artist explaining (in broken English) the meaning and then sung a song over it sitting on the floor and then showing him signing it.

Thx - Richard

Last edited by RNMarsh; Today at 07:20 PM.
Old Today, 07:25 PM   #2839
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Thanks.
Yes, they work best far away from walls.
The omnis and the OBs to an extend work with the room.
So, non optimum placement near the walls - so many times dictated by necessity - retains the character of their sound.

George
I understand his entire process. However, it does little for reverb time of the room the location of absorption and reflections and the reflections off objects in the room, seating location in respect to room modes, etc. All these things acoustic affect sound and are variables from room to listening room.

Its less messed up than usual for far field listening, but still too much room acoustic influence and thus less than perfect accuracy to the source.

High accuracy monitors in near-field listening conditions gets the room acoustics out of the way.

I might add that with many more drivers than two (not counting subs).... it must be heard in far field for the drivers to integrate as a single point source. With the JBL 2 driver system, JBL has identified for near field use, the single listening level location by where they placed the JBL logo badge. Ear level should be at the badge level for highest accuracy.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; Today at 07:44 PM.
Old Today, 08:41 PM   #2840
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

The first 'wall of sound'. '-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1'st wall of sound.jpg (498.1 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by john curl; Today at 08:43 PM.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!