Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 08:08 AM   #2771
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Costing a small fortune...... i cant write it off taxes because she is not my daughter ... And foreign students get to pay double.
I don't want to make politic, but it seems education, like food, is a due between human being.
How can a civilised country that claims to rule the world, act like this ?
University, in most of the european country, is nearly free.
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #2772
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
I don't want to make politic, but it seems education, like food, is a due between human being.
That would make sense, but the US has fallen under the control of regressives. Medical care and education here are the best if you can pay for it, but only if you can pay. One day I believe the US will have free college education and medical care for all citizens, but it'll likely be after Elon Musk sets foot on Mars.
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #2773
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
That would make sense, but the US has fallen under the control of regressives. Medical care and education here are the best if you can pay for it, but only if you can pay. One day I believe the US will have free college education and medical care for all citizens, but it'll likely be after Elon Musk sets foot on Mars.
YouTube
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #2774
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't hold your breath is right. Breaking News...... Thailand, like all progressive countries... EU, has free medical for thier citizens. Foreigners can own property now there. World class medical facilities. So I bought a condo there. no property taxes, either. Oh, and I have a 'retirement' visa there. Can come and go as i please and stay forever if I want to. Low cost of living. I aint going to be no stupid American if we dont see a turn-around here. And, I am not going to give my house and toys to pay medical bills.

The ship is sinking.

OK. Back to time aligned systems?

-RM

It's 5AM, what am I doing here? I'm going back to bed.

Last edited by RNMarsh; Today at 11:59 AM.
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #2775
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
All models are wrong, IMHO, but some are close enough to be useful. Highly useful even. For what you say you would like to understand there is no better model, or set of models than can be found in Jonathan Haidt's book, The Righteous Mind. Highly recommended. While able to stand alone is it consistent with the work of Daniel Kahneman and other modern research on how minds work.
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #2776
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

RNM,

Long ago one of my friends born in Eastern Europe attended college here. First two years at community college, third year University of Pittsburgh and final year Carnegie-Mellon. Graduated with a prestigious EE degree at the lowest cost of anyone I ever knew. No need to mention his grades and recommendations. Died very young from a disease he caught before moving here that damaged his heart.

The advantage he got from starting at an easy college was that he could adapt in a less stressful situation. Also did most of his non-core requirements early.

Next step for you is to set up a bit of crowd funding for the lass. JC will kick in at least $10.00.

If that doesn't yield enough, eBay your accumulation of no longer used audio gear!
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #2777
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

I know at least a dozen people who graduated from UC Berkeley, Stanford, and/or MIT at zero tuition cost. Zero dollars and zero cents.

What was their secret? Scholarships.
Old Today, 03:44 PM   #2778
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I know at least a dozen people who graduated from UC Berkeley, Stanford, and/or MIT at zero tuition cost. Zero dollars and zero cents.

What was their secret? Scholarships.
This whole issue needs historical background on how the higher education systems developed in each country. In the 1800's how available was a full university education to anyone male or female in Europe?

The absurd costs here are fairly recent, MIT in 1968 was $2150 borrowing half left a loan burden at graduation of only about 20% of one years pay.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!