John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know a source for Niobium-Titanium wire?

Yes. What current capability? what copper to super ratio?

typical is 2.4 to 1, the high octane stuff is .9 to 1.

13 mil diameter (#28AWG) is good to about 200 amps up to about 2 tesla.

6 around 1 (7 strands of 13 mil) is good to 1000 amps plus at 2.4 to 1, over 2000 amps using .9 to 1.

All are insulated with 50% overlap 1 mil kapton.

The problem is the liquid helium and the warm to cold transitions.

edit: MRI conductor is generally 7 to 1, give or take. They sacrifice total current in order to add more copper to stabilize the conductor and make it less susceptible to damage in the event of a quench. Lower ratios require careful monitoring of the cable to make sure that if a quench occurs, the detector can turn off the current really fast..the LHC incident was a case where the quench was not detected in time.

John

Last edited:
jn would appreciate this one apparently a major super-collider project was scrapped. Too bad it has been cut up into short lengths imagine the bragging right speaker cables.

NIOBIUM- TITANIUM ALLOY SUPERCONDUCTOR BY THE TON...REALLY,... BY THE TON | eBay

All NbTi supers start as billets, typically a meter long copper tube 30 cm diameter is filled with hexagonal NbTi rods, usually a center copper as well.. Then the billet is pushed through subsequently smaller dies, drawing the conductor down in diameter but making it really long. Imagine a foot diameter drawn to 13 mils diameter, you know how long that single conductor is??

Apparently, what that seller has is the end cuts of the billets at some intermediate point in the drawing process.

Oh, the reason for this process is to make the NbTi filaments very fine. The finer the strands, the lower the persistent current is (it's a magnet thing).

jn

Oh, the reason for this process is to make the NbTi filaments very fine. The finer the strands, the lower the persistent current is (it's a magnet thing).

jn

One of the sellers claimed it was Desertron scrap maybe just to heighten the cache. Your explanation makes perfect sense, I met a guy who finished off his entire house with flooring cut offs that he dumpster dived for.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
One cord by itself may not cause too much concern, but even a modest system has several power cords and they are in the back mixed in there along with the I/O from the gear.

THx-RNMarsh

I am hoping to get down to no more than 3 power cords for everything if I can.

In old fashioned telco world everything was run off -48V or -60V. Given the availability of all the bits you need for this I do wonder why this was never picked up, even by the lunatic fringe. It brings it's own challenges but surely a small price to pay for killing the mains cable boogyman? (I am of course ignoring the joys of a shorted 48v string. I have a video of a 10" spanner being vapourised).

In the meantime scroll down to A True Anecdote.

PURCHASING CLASSICAL LP RECORDINGS

I tend to like original pressings better, not always of course, but most of the time. I listen to rock. And it has nothing to do with mastering technology. People back then we're much more respectful in what they do and to the quality of product. And to our ears!

Mastering engineers of the 60s and 70s really wanted to provide something that sounds exceptional. They had good ears and respected the art.

The modern compressed brickwalled garbage that corporate interns churn out is beyond embarrassing. No one could convince me that most of these people love their job and love what they do.

But there are a lot of exception too. I enjoy MOFI's work, Analog Productions, etc. I even liked and bought The Rolling Stones mono box set last year.

But overall, the taste, music, art, and education has gone down the toilet recently. And this is coming from a younger guy who was born in the 80s.

But overall, the taste, music, art, and education has gone down the toilet recently. And this is coming from a younger guy who was born in the 80s.

So what do you think someone born in 1950 thinks? I have a problem, I go into a group of age peers and try to turn them on to Nick Cave, Boyd Rice, or Mark E. Smith and I get blank stares.

Last edited:
There's another problem with modern pressings. The kind of rock I listen to is 40 some years old. Even if they cut directly from the master tape, it usually doesn't sound as good as original pressings from 3rd or 4th generation dub. These master tapes have lost a lot of high frequency information over the years. Older pressings have much more ambient information and sound more alive.

Vinyl is amazing in preserving these recordings. In a way, a lot of these original pressings are now the true master tapes.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That purchasing guide is such a hoot. He really doesn't care a jot for the performance or the actual music. I admire his single minded audiophilia whilst being slightly scared.

BTW Scott BBC were reviewing Brahms 1 last weekend and their choice for the must have was Furtwangler! There is hope for the world.

Had nearly 7 hours of driving today and was enjoying recordings of compositions done by composers who are not only still alive but same age or younger than me. Dobrinka Tabakova is worth checking out if you have not heard her.

Status
Not open for further replies.