The Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tinnitus. Just a bit. It's only there when I focus, not disturbing at all. This is a high pitch tone and I have it from my early youth. But recently another noise came up. This is a very low frequency tone like the well known to us hum and I started hearing it about five years ago. Initially I accepted the plausible explanation that it's something with my ears but my senses perceive it in a different way than the high pitch tone. The good thing is that it is also low level and bearable. I wasn't thinking of it a lot until I came accross this article The Hum - Wikipedia . It describes exactly what I hear, only inside buildings, the better acoustic damped, the more audible, for example bedrooms.
Does anybody else here experience the same thing?

I have tinnitus constantly and it's rarely unnoticable. The only time I get a hum is after listening to music too loud in my room. Other noisy environments I don't get a hum afterwards. I think it might be something to do with pressure since I find pressure on my ears uncomfortable, one of the reasons I use open baffle speakers

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I once had a low frequency hum in my ear and it turned out to be a piece of hair leaning up against my ear drum, kinda painful but once it was removed it went away.

I've never heard any unexplainable LF Hum in my area, the only thing that comes close is the highway behind me which will cause the ground to shake a little bit at about 30-40 Hz whenever a heavy truck goes past on it that is doing just the right speed (anywhere from 60-80km/h)

We also had the council setup a diesel generator during a pole change outside on the street, that kind of made a LF-Hum too.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned yet is the plumbing of major cities, what if the larger pipes are oscillating in a much similar way to a pipe which has too much pressure oscillates and creates a racket inside the walls of a house.

YouTube

pipes can hum too.

If you take into account the fact that cities have tons of piping then a massive overpressure of that entire system I'm 100% sure will cause a wide dispersal humming noise which has no defined center and is impossible to pinpoint because its coming from every pipe in the city.

*in a strong german accent* Walla, mystery solved. NEXT! Schnell! SCHNELL!

Last edited:
Well, it's not that simple. As said, this hum is audible only - at least by me - inside rooms. There I am able to pin point the origin - that is somewhere outside the building. But outside it's lost. First time I heard it was in my father's birthplace, a small village with population of 15 nowdays. This is way far from an urban environment. Generally, it gives the feeling that a non audible frequency forces the building to vibrate at an audible frequency.

If only you can hear it it's almost certainly a form of tinnitus. Low frequency sounds can travel in the most peculiar ways, they can get trapped, can setup resonances etc. The other day I was playing some music and I opened the vents on my wood burning stove and the sound changed quite dramatically

The high frequency tinnitus gives a certain feeling that it comes from your ears. This on the other hand, feels exactly the opposite. I made the same thinking that low frequency waves spread differently than high frequency and had already accepted that it was a problem of my ears. It is this wikipedia's article that made me think about it again.

I have tinnitus constantly and it's rarely unnoticable. The only time I get a hum is after listening to music too loud in my room. Other noisy environments I don't get a hum afterwards. I think it might be something to do with pressure since I find pressure on my ears uncomfortable, one of the reasons I use open baffle speakers

Since you mention this... I' m not exactly sure about this but I think I started hearing this hum by the time I moved to open baffle speakers. I hadn't thought of that as a relevant fact. What I' ve noticed is that -most possibly due to OB - my hearing has indeed changed wrt how I perceive ambient noise. For example, a new 3D world reveals when I' m walking under an umbrella!

I can hear it in upstairs rooms but not down stairs.
It sounds like a mix of 50hz and 60hz leading me to think that is is a mixture of energy from power stations modulating gravity.
I have not noticed it in a car but others whom sit in cars for a long time without the engine running do report it.
I began taking tablets for a virus and they "brightened" my senses and then I began to start hearing it.

Air conditioners and diesel engines could be a possible source of this sound. Could this propagate in free air as a non audible wave and then change inside buildings like standing waves that need specific rooms to become audible?
I think it's the fans that set up a (50Hz) hum that can be amplified and directed by adjacent structures.
In a house I lived in until recently a newly built petrol station 500m away caused a loud hum that was loudly audible inside the house, particularly the main bedroom, and closing or opening all doors, windows etc did not change it.
This hum was also audible from inside my car parked in the driveway.

Dan.

Air conditioners are here all over the place. At my fathers village I don't have an air conditioner at home but there is one in the nearest house - that is 50m away. I also suspect a diesel pump at a distance of some 5km but in open landscape. Funny thing, the last four months I can hear it in my bedroom is the period that a petrol station has started to work nearby! And yes, doors and windows do not change it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.