Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

My deaf elderly mother needs a phone she can actually use
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2018, 12:00 AM   #1
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default My deaf elderly mother needs a phone she can actually use

I'm trying to find a phone for my mother that she can cope with. She's hard of hearing, has very poor eyesight and a lack of feeling in her fingers. She has a cordless phone that is designed for the deaf and elderly but she has trouble finding and operating the correct buttons to adjust the volume level. This is the main problem, she doesn't need to adjust the volume if it was permanently loud it would be fine, the one button that does give enough volume needs to be pressed each time she answers the phone since it resets. What tends to happen is that she answers the phone, finds she can't hear, struggles to find the button, gets flustered, and ends up pressing buttons randomly. Everything I've found so far from organisations designed to help are the same generic phones, has anybody got any ideas? The most promising thing I've come across so far are simple telephone amplifiers but there doesn't seem to be one suitable for a cordless phone as they all go in line with the handset.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:05 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I'm trying to find a phone for my mother that she can cope with.
Can she use something like this? Very loud, undistorted audio speakerphone.
Polycom SoundStation VTX 1000 Conference Phone w/ Power Module (2200-07300-001, 2201-07142-001) "C-Stock"
Old 12th January 2018, 12:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have wondered about speakerphones, since another problem is that when she's holding the phone to her ear the boost button, which is the most effective, and the volume up and down controls tend to get inadvertently pressed. This is due to poor design in the first place since the buttons on the sides of the phone. She also needs to have the phone close to her eyes and use peripheral vision in order to find any of the control buttons. It is very difficult. All she really needs is a phone she can pick up and answer and that is permanently loud.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:33 AM   #4
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

How loud? We have a VTech(or is it VTek? I'll check) that holds its volume setting even after a power failure.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The boost button says 30dB (whatever that means ) and that is loud enough. Using the volume buttons and turning it right up is nowhere near as loud
Old 12th January 2018, 03:55 AM   #6
Wayne1 is offline Wayne1  United States
diyAudio Member

Not cordless but this is what my deaf wife uses:CapTel
Old 12th January 2018, 08:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the idea, but she wouldn't be able to read that
Old 12th January 2018, 12:50 PM   #8
poynton is online now poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have you tried type/talk ?
I think it is available from BT and social services.

Andy
Old 12th January 2018, 01:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that looks like a very useful service, she did used to be a very good typist, unfortunately now she hasn't the manual dexterity or good enough vision though she did used to touch type. I will mention it to her see what she thinks, but I'm not very positive, sorry, but unfortunately that is the nature of the situation. At present I'm leaning towards a very simple telephone amplifier such as this L286 - PhonePlus phone amplifier | Action on Hearing Loss although it would mean giving up on her cordless phone most of the time
Old 14th January 2018, 03:19 PM   #10
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anything wrong with ditching the handheld phone and going for a conference-style device?

The last time I looked at a handset, you could connect a headset to it. Use that connection to add a mic and (amplified) speaker, and away you go. It's even DIYable.

Chris

My deaf elderly mother needs a phone she can actually useHide this!Advertise here!