Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

My deaf elderly mother needs a phone she can actually use
My deaf elderly mother needs a phone she can actually use
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2018, 05:55 PM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

She likes carrying it around with her, but something like that could work, thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to do something DIYable! I've just got the manual to her phone online and it seems the boost function can be turned on permanently in the menu I didn't realise this, she's in Birmingham but one of my brother's lives nearby so this may be all that's required since she does seem to manage with the boost and it was only the fact that it kept resetting itself that was a problem
Old 16th January 2018, 10:37 PM   #12
rss388 is offline rss388  United States
diyAudio Member

Does your mom wear hearing aids? There are hearing aids now that are blue tooth enabled and can be paired to mobile phones. On top of that, they can be paired to TV audio streamer as well so they can watch TV without cranking the volume WAY up.
Old 17th January 2018, 08:45 AM   #13
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

An elderly friend of ours found this very useful:

Corded Phones : AMPLIDECT COMBI PHOTO 295

Instead of pictures on the buttons, she just had one large letter for the people chosen - easier to see than a picture.
It was pretty loud too. Got it from Amazon.
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 17th January 2018, 06:17 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rss388 View Post
Does your mom wear hearing aids? There are hearing aids now that are blue tooth enabled and can be paired to mobile phones. On top of that, they can be paired to TV audio streamer as well so they can watch TV without cranking the volume WAY up.
She does. Thanks I'll look into that
Old 17th January 2018, 06:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpauk View Post
Instead of pictures on the buttons, she just had one large letter for the people chosen - easier to see than a picture.
Good idea. I like the additional handset. Thanks

My deaf elderly mother needs a phone she can actually useHide this!Advertise here!