EU to ban vacuum tubes from 1st January, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
but each headlight has its own little microcontroller box. All very well, replace the bulb. Not that simple it does have stupid code in there that means you need the unobtanium in this country "control box" this means when the second bulb blows as they do it's game over.

Everything now is CAN BUS.
I did a project using a PIC CANBUS microcontroller and managed to send data between two modules. It takes quite a bit of code to do something simple.

Agreed it has been modbus/canbus for a long time now.

Chrysler in their pure wisdom just chose to ignore any of the standards on some of their Euro cars. Maybe it was all of them? Could wire the headlights up directly with a fuse and switch etc. It gets to a point where you are basically keeping the thing alive for no reason other than to see it die.

I used to work for Honda in Swindon by the way.

Cheers
Matt.

In the UK we were encouraged to use diesel cars, now they are encouraging use of petrol cars.
Luckily I have quite a new diesel car and the emissions are very low.
I don't even pay road tax on it. It has start/stop technology in it so at least isn't polluting when stopped.

I'm afraid politicians are idiots. We've ended up with a situation where people have been put off buying (non-polluting) new diesels (diesel car sales are well down) and are hanging on to their older, more polluting diesels. Or buying a petrol car, so we now find CO2 emissions are up.

CO2 is the least of our problems. 2.5 micron particulates are FAR more severe. (HEFA passenger air filters won't save you!) And EVERYTHING will be emitting them soon (high pressure fuel injection). Take your pick, a few degrees warmer in 100 years or death by cytokine storm (massive allergy) or lung cancer or fibrosis in 5 to 20 years. Only after everyone starts dropping like fly's will the problem finally be recognized as a mistake by those who don't worry about problems that can be passed on till later (politicians). (when it's not THEIR problem)

Not that I don't care about CO2, but we have our "Genius politician" advocating coal and political takeover of the media to cover up.

In the meantime we have some solar panel outfits in Calif. who have decided solar is soon going to be so cheap that they will pay you to put panels up and split the income. Let's hope they bury coal in time. (and don't give me the usual BS about energy storage for solar, new battery tech in the universities is well on the way)

What we have is a battle between the entrenched, who are willing to kill you for profits, versus the free thinking next generation who will determine the real future economic leadership.

Last edited:
All good fortune,
Chris

Attachments

• Solar Panels.jpg
    Solar Panels.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 139
Physicists still do not understand the vacuum properly. Dark matter and virtual reality keep popping out of it! Putting a bunch of vacuum tubes together in close proximity could be -extremely- dangerous! A portal for aliens to invade the planet, abduct your children, and spy on us. This vacuum tube stuff is all a conspiracy. Destroy your equipment while you still can. It may be too late! Some DIYers are already being crowded out of house and home by piles of boxes of tubes. (PS: send the best tubes over to me for proper disposal! And our new "genius" tax credits.)

That guy in Hawaii yesterday was listening to a SET amp when he pressed the "wrong" button. His reality was distorted by 2nd harmonic distortion. Just think what could happen when some other genius presses the "wrong" button!

No, I'm not paranoid.

Very Good, I enjoyed this.

They have put up loads of solar panels in my area and they have in one case produced a carbon footprint in the literal sense of the word.
The planning department took so long to give the go ahead for them to go up that the panels were no longer stocked. What they had were much more powerful.
The other end of the replaced and upgraded drop cable is 200 yards away.
The old drop cable was toast on the first really sunny day.

Attachments

• DSCF4607.JPG
    DSCF4607.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF4611.jpg
    DSCF4611.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF4668.JPG
    DSCF4668.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 131
RE: Sippy

That Accusump deal looks quite interesting. I wonder if it would make the engine easier to start too. Might save on the number of starters I go through.

RE: Refugee1

A friend of mine is installing a large solar array in his yard. But he needed a larger feed line from the power company. The power company said they could upgrade the line for free if they installed a 50KW substation transformer near his house. When the giant xfmr arrived on a flat bed truck, he had second thoughts.

Asking the power contractor what would happen if it leaked oil in the wetlands area near where they were putting it. (a 10 foot diameter man made pond for ducks)

The contractor said: "Wetlands! What! Stop everything!" All the back hoes and bulldozers came to a grinding halt. A power company engineer has to re-evaluate the plans now. His wife told him to shut his mouth. The planning commission on call now.

After all this, he decided he might as well upscale his plans to just use the full 50 KW rating.
Wait till the neighbors see that. The panel arrays are on big high pedestals that track the sun. No more view of the countryside.

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Do you mean 500 KW? A 50KW transformer is small (the size of a half-rack networking equipment), also 50KW worth of solar panels may eventually fit on the roof of the house. Were I live, large ground mounted solar arrays aren't allowed anymore. The workaround is to put them on the roof of greenhouses, or on the roof of industrial buildings. There is a 2.4 MW solar array on the roof of the building were I work, with two 1MW transformers plus a smaller one.

Nothing bogus about the particulate pollution from high pressure (or direct) fuel injection gasoline engines.

IT SHOULD BE FRONT PAGE NEWS.

The Europeans are already paying the price, these cars are already on the road there. The auto companies are doing us all in again!

Carcinogenic soot particles from petrol engines -- ScienceDaily

The results were sobering: every single one of the tested gasoline cars emitted ten to 100 times more fine soot particles than the diesel Peugeot. Under the microscope, the particles from the gasoline engines were similar in size to the soot particles that had given diesel a bad name: primary particles measuring ten to 20 nanometers in size, which congregate into particle agglomerates measuring 80 to 100 nanometers before leaving the exhaust. "Once inhaled, these particles remain in the body forever," explains Norbert Heeb. The evidence shows that they can penetrate the membrane of human alveoli in the lungs and thus get into the bloodstream.

Other recent medical articles have shown these ultra small soot particles cause: High blood pressure, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, depression, diabetes, memory loss, Alzheimers .... I suppose this is one way to cure global warming, but I doubt if it is the way you want.

All this to gain just 1% better fuel efficiency. The older, mature, low pressure fuel injection system used on cars for decades does not produce this deadly crap. The tiny injection nozzles used with the high pressure injection system also plug up far more easily. You will also be paying extra $$$ for this train wreck.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Perhaps I should have said ordinary incandescents have disappeared in the UK. I was wrong to assume that other EU nations are equally diligent in implementing EU regulations. Or is this another example of the UK gold-plating EU rules?

Incandescent bulbs are freely available in local stores here, and easy to get online too... Even the B&Q had a good selection. The ban seems to have had little effect yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.