Riding the ghost city

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I agree, highly recommended reading and viewing (of the
photos). Not only does she have interesting and important
things to tell about Chernobyl, both now and then, but she
is also a very good writer, I think, combining a cynical view
on past events with a still optimistic view of the future of the
area. Incidentally, I think there was a program about this
on swedish television just a few days ago but I missed it,
or didin't quite realize what it was about, which I now regret.

I can hardly believe it is already almost 20 years since this
happened. Since Sweden was probably the first western
country to detect something was happening and it took
quite some time until we know exactly what has happened
it was a somewhat scary time until the thruth got out and
the situation was under control. Incidentally, it was first
discovered here by measuring increased levels of radiation
outside a swedish nuclear plant, and they started looking
for leaks, but found that the radiation inside the plant was
much lower than outside. As far as I know, some areas in
the north of Sweden are still rather contaminated so it is
recommended to minimize the intake of berries and reindeer
meat from those area.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I think, combining a cynical view on past events with a still optimistic view of the future of the area.

To my mind this picture strikes me as a good example:

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• image14.3_r.jpg
    image14.3_r.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 164
Hi Frank,

Yes, there are many good photos, both as documents and
from an a more artistic point of view, however, I think most
of the strongest things are still in what she tells and in how
she tells it. She has quite a talent for writing, I think. Like
the story of how the inhabitants of a residential house went
up on the roof to get a better view of the spectacular "light
show" over the plant, and then they were all dead within
a few days. It is also interesting to read about how aware
she is of the risks she are taking and how careful she is to
minimize them. Sha takes a risk, but she has a respect for
and understanding of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I find the pictures interesting and write-up well organized.

As someone in the industry back then, I think the incident and the 3-mile island incident have long-lasting impact on our energy policy, for decades to come.

As one of the cleanest sources of energy, nuclear power plants never regained their glory after the double blow. i read somewhere that for like 20 years the US has not built a single nuclear power plant.

Instead, we concentrated on oil and natural gas (later). and kind of put us in a position we are in today.

people never understood what nuclear reactors meant, not to mention how they differ from a nuclear bomb. after those incidents, the general public set their eyes on gettind rid of nuclear power at any cost.

Well, they got more than they bargained for.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Christer,

Sha takes a risk, but she has a respect for and understanding of it.

Certainly. I wouldn't have a clue about how dangerous such a trip would actually be.
However, she respectfully thanks her father, a nuclear physicist, for the information he passed on to her so she could safely undertake the trips.

I can't even begin to understand how hard it must be for someone like herself to be confronted with what to my mind is the pinnacle of human failure.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

Certainly. I wouldn't have a clue about how dangerous such a trip would actually be.
However, she respectfully thanks her father, a nuclear physicist, for the information he passed on to her so she could safely undertake the trips.

I can't even begin to understand how hard it must be for someone like herself to be confronted with what to my mind is the pinnacle of human failure.

She seems to keep an eye on her dosimeter all the time and
calculate with the risks, but I would personally hesitate to
expose myself voluntarily to any such unnecessary risks.

Interestingly, she does seem to have a very mixed view on
all this. On the one hand she does heavily critisize what
happened back in 86 and how it was handled by authorities.
On the other hand, she also seems to enjoy the very special
environment this has created in the zone, and I think I can
understand that fascination. It would be tempting to follow
her on a tour there if given the chance, but on the other hand,
I would probably be so worried about the radiation that I
wouldn't enjoy it. (Please note, that when I say "enjoy" I
do not mean I would consider it like a fun park or something,
but just that I think it must be a very special feeling to
experierience such a place).

fdegrove said:
Hi,
To my mind this picture strikes me as a good example:

Cheers,;)

As my first 10 years on this world I lived under communism, I would say that communism had some advantages over the so called democracy that rules these days in my country.
If there is one advantage, that must be the fact that the people were united, helped each other much more than they help each other these days. These days they are more like the std capitalist person: MONEY, work, sleep, impassibility about the others, envy etc. I dearly remember some parties we had, parties which the std western guy will never understand, parties @ which everybody invited brought the very little they had, but the soul was there and that was the magic bit. It's hard to explain.

But then again, communism had it's horrors: the so called security which had informers anywhere and everywhere would be the worst in my opinion. And one more very strange thing in communism: one had the money to buy different products, but the products were missing(oranges, cola etc.) I remember I had to stay once in the que like 4 hours for 1kg oranges. And that was still very good for me, because normally you couln't get such products(is was a Christmas special)

roibm said:
If there is one advantage, that must be the fact that the people were united, helped each other much more than they help each other these days.

I was born in 1946 and raised in the Southeastern US.

Interestingly enough, that comment is one I have made about where I live.

We had a simpler and less prosperous life. Yet there was much more of a sense of helping others and a sense of community and friendliness in those days. Or so is my recollection.

Really interesting link

nothing less than stunning

Regards

Ken L

Ken L said:

We had a simpler and less prosperous life. Yet there was much more of a sense of helping others and a sense of community and friendliness in those days. Or so is my recollection.
It is the same everywhere. It was the same in East Germany, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria. I spoke with people from all those places and they all agree that the people were really nice compared to how they are these days(greedy many would say).

fcel said:

You & another member here has the same profile signature. Is that coincidental or intentional?
A third option: It is because I like those words a lot.
For me they represent the truth(don't tell me that you consider the soldiers that kill civilians - many, btw - anything else but terrorists). Of course, to indulge yourself into believing whatever you want to believe is still an open option.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
roibm said:
For me they represent the truth(don't tell me that you consider the soldiers that kill civilians - many, btw - anything else but terrorists).

is intent a factor here?

People do get hurt once in a while, in accidents for example. We wouldn't call them terrorists. or do we?

To me, a terrorist is someone who act with the intent to terrorize. A pilot accidentally dropping a bomb in a village isn't a terrorist. A suicide bomber walking into the crowded cafe has the intent to kill civilians. Thus a terrorist.

millwood said:
is intent a factor here?

People do get hurt once in a while, in accidents for example. We wouldn't call them terrorists. or do we?
This accidents are not self caused. It's easy to call them accidents as there are not your people that get killed in these so called accidents. How would you call them when your people would get killed? How? I bet you won't call them collateral damage. Or would you?

To me, a terrorist is someone who act with the intent to terrorize. A pilot accidentally dropping a bomb in a village isn't a terrorist. A suicide bomber walking into the crowded cafe has the intent to kill civilians. Thus a terrorist.
To me the act of terrorism is the act of inflicting terror among others. The terrorists are the parties that cause the terrorism.
Now don't tell me that the people in the cities bombarder night after night by the invaders fell anything else but terrorized. Or during their search from house to house. Have you seen that on tv? They looked very happy being searched? To me they looked more like terrorized. How many examples do you want?
BTW, I wonder if you describe the invaders using any other words... And if you do, how would you call an international force that invades your country without UN approval? The reasons for these would be many: you have the most WoMD in the entire world, you are the biggest pollutant in the entire world(thus damaging more than any other country the world, and you also refuse signing Kyoto).
For a somewhat detailed list of US internation involvments see:
http://worldwildwest.dse.nl/usinterventionsnav.htm

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
roibm said:

This accidents are not self caused. It's easy to call them accidents as there are not your people that get killed in these so called accidents. How would you call them when your people would get killed? How? I bet you won't call them collateral damage. Or would you?

if my people were killed in an accident, i would call them killed in an accident.

a tip for you: you don't want to ask a question until you know how the other party is going to answer that question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.