Riding the ghost city

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
millwood said:

I am not going to dignify you by responding to this type of language.
That's because you are in impasse, not because of my language which was perfectly adequate regarding you're position.
BS is a word every US or UK citizen has in his language and it's perfect match for describing something which is hard to believe(like what you said).
Of course, I assumed you are a US citizen. I might be wrong tho.

This is just beautiful how you guys polluted a for a huge part of you, very informative thread.

I have lived in the EX USSR for 3 years and been a frequent visitor of EX USSR for almost 15 years. I have seen the development the natives described here, and gotten a taste of the system and so forth.

You could broaden you horizon by a magnitude if you actually learned a bit about the EX USSR besides the usual generalisation of that part of the world being 3rd class and generally useless....Ive heard so much of that !!!

You guys should take the oppertunity to get a little education about something very few of you actually know anything about, instead of the usual mindless agument about USA VS the world VS terrorism VS war.

Magura

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

You guys should take the oppertunity to get a little education about something very few of you actually know anything about, instead of the usual mindless agument about USA VS the world VS terrorism VS war.

Totally agree with you here, Magura.

Just for the anecdote; as a little kid I was fortunate enough to have access to my parents' library...
By the age of twelve I'd finished reading Dostoievsky, Tolkien to name just the better known writers and was at awe with that big Russian heart.

A few years later we spent our Summer holidays in Spain, in those days still ruled by general Franco...
People were not allowed to speak Catalan in public but on the other hand, nobody had to lock the front door and everyone seemed quite happy and friendly.

I'm not defending dictatorship of any kind, after all I heard my grandparents tell the same stories about when they were young and those were relatively democratic days.

However, I can really see the resemblance of how things were during the communistic regime in Russia.
No extreme system is good but the way things are evolving, capatalism certainly isn't all bliss either.

I secretly wish Europe is going to realise that cultural values are worth keeping BEFORE the continent veers to one or the other extreme again and, god forbid, another war breaks out.

It seems the human race is the hardest learning of all species, no animal would survive it all.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
roibm said:
BTW, I wonder if you describe the invaders using any other words.

It was before my time, but I seem to recall the french called the american forces during WW2 "liberators" when they marched through paris.

Of course, if you were the Nazi Germans or French colaborators with the Nazi Germans, you would call those american soldiers "invaders".

will you still insisting on calling them "invaders"?

roibm said:
And if you do, how would you call an international force that invades your country without UN approval?

I would call them "an international force that invades your country without UN approval", as you had correctly suggested.

roibm said:
The reasons for these would be many: you have the most WoMD in the entire world,

so what?

roibm said:
you are the biggest pollutant in the entire world(thus damaging more than any other country the world,

I guess you don't measure pollution on per GDP basis, do you? does the word efficiency mean anything to you?

roibm said:
and you also refuse signing Kyoto).

what is Kyoto? some kind of moral standards by which everyone of us will be judged?

:)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
:cop: /

Can we get back to the topic please ;)

/ :cop:

I haven't checked out this link so far, but I well remember watching a science programme here in the UK called Horizon, that was released on the 10th anniversary of Chernobyl. It was a stunning documentary on the scientists who were actually putting their lives at risk by searching for the core meltdown material, as well as doing a scientific analysis of the wreckage.

They struck me as being some of the bravest people I have ever seen...

Considering that Millwood is the kind of a person no one can rationalize with(see what he posted above and in many other threads) I am just going to ignore him.
So Millwood, please don't pollute this thread anymore because I am not going to give you satisfaction by answering :D

The one that is wrong to the one that is always right. :smash:

Magura said:
The interestig fact is that a lot of "westerners" actually believe that they know everything about what was going on in the communist block. And they believe so hard this, that they just won't read anything related, and even worst they don't believe(at first) what others are telling them.

It is only when you discuss with them that they realize they know almost nothing(they know mainly propaganda facts).

So Magura, that's a very good advice you gave them.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
:cop:
Roibm,

Everyone has been asked to get back on topic. Please do so with no more explanations.
:cop:

pinkmouse said:
I haven't checked out this link so far, but I well remember watching a science programme here in the UK called Horizon, that was released on the 10th anniversary of Chernobyl. It was a stunning documentary on the scientists who were actually putting their lives at risk by searching for the core meltdown material, as well as doing a scientific analysis of the wreckage.

They struck me as being some of the bravest people I have ever seen...
PM,

You owe it to yourself to go through the link. I found it very moving.

Great article, though it requires some time budget. Frederick Pohl's "Chernobyl" can provide some insights, too, for those willing to suffer through a novelization of the tragedy.

It's worth contemplating why Chernobyl took the toll it did, while Three Mile Island, much closer to major population areas, was contained quite well. The latter, of course, gave rise to the popular bumper stickers, "More people died in Teddy Kennedy's car than at Three Mile Island."

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
SY said:
It's worth contemplating why Chernobyl took the toll it did, while Three Mile Island, much closer to major population areas, was contained quite well.

what makes the difference betweent he two is in their construction: the USSR one used graphite moderators and the tmi reactor has a negative void coefficient (similar to negative feedback in electronics). In comparison, the "positive feedback" existed in the ussr reactor caused massive and sudden power surge and when hot fuel rods met cooling water, it generated tremendous amount of vapor and caused the explosions.

so rather than stopping at the melt-down of the TMI, the graphite at chernobyl started and that caused the massive spread of radiation (which is actually rarely mentioned in popular media. and you will also read about "melt-down" of the chernobyl reactor, when in fact it was two explosion - had not for the graphite caught fire, it would have been much better contained, like the tmi reactor).

I think there were some small output graphite moderated reactors in Canada (for reasearch purposes I think) but those the only known graphite moderated reactors outside of the ussr.

one thing that was never true but you will hear a lot about is that nuclear power plants can explode like bombs. that's pure fiction, :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.