Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please Don't Feed The Deer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2017, 08:36 AM   #1
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Please Don't Feed The Deer

The deer population is growing around is this area. Local news reports say are now in the streets of Wash DC.

They swing buy here a couple of times a day. One afternoon when I was up on the hill, they walked right by me. One likes to snort and stomp his hoof, which is what they do to warn the others.

It is tempting to leave goodies out for them, but they say it is best to cut down branches for them to eat.

btw the fence is being removed, not installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dont Feed Them.jpg (415.7 KB, 375 views)

Last edited by ODougbo; 8th December 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:01 AM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Deer are tasty. Lyme disease is a problem tho...
Old 8th December 2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

It's high stakes on deer feeding here in MN. The shooter claimed the neighbor who was feeding deer gave his father Lyme disease and things escalated between them for a while until this happened. I know someone who lives not far from there and they don't feed deer and constantly have deer in their backyard anyway.
Neal Zumberge says he lied, gets life in prison for New Brighton killing – Twin Cities

Last edited by Ron E; 8th December 2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:23 AM   #4
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In my last house there were deer that had escaped (some 60 years ago) from the deer park at the local stately home. I would get 14 or more in the garden at night, which could be a shock if you needed to go out to the car. Ate all the roses and all the tulips!

Lyme is on the rise here in UK now, but not at the levels you get.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:26 AM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Regards one species feeding another, I saw a blackbird feeding worms to a fish in a local pond. I didn't see how it started, that would possibly answer the question: what was that all about??
Old 8th December 2017, 11:16 AM   #6
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

A couple of years I planted a small garden. From 12 okra plants and 12 tomato plants I got to harvest 1 pod of okra and 2 tomatos damn the deer !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of george.jpg (28.8 KB, 338 views)
Old 8th December 2017, 11:41 AM   #7
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Regards one species feeding another, I saw a blackbird feeding worms to a fish in a local pond. I didn't see how it started, that would possibly answer the question: what was that all about??
May be this:
Smart Birds fishing using bread - YouTube
Old 8th December 2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

When I lived in Florida I was awakened several days in a row by a metallic pounding sound. After a few days I went outside to investigate and saw a woodpecker pecking away at the aluminum shield around a street light. I thought the woodpecker had developed brain damage from the repeated pounding and went back to bed. Later on I discovered that the woodpecker wasn't so stupid after all. He would whack away at that light for a minute or so, then hop down to the ground below and eat all the tasty crispy baked bugs that he just knocked out of the light.....then he would move down the street to the next light pole and repeat the process.

Quote:
Deer are tasty.....So go on, buy a gun, shoot the dear and enjoy it's meat.
We have a lot of deer here. This year the apple tree I planted 2 years ago developed 11 apples. I got to eat zero. The deer and birds beat me to them, since they didn't care if they weren't ripe. One of my neighbor's garden gets trashed by the deer since he refuses to use an electric fence (grandkids). I have a gun, I don't shoot the deer, but I must admit to eating some of the meat from the deer he shot in my back yard. Yep, tasty!
Old 9th December 2017, 03:34 AM   #9
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Maine has a reputation for deer hunting, and we do bag quite a few.

But Maine does not have deer like we had back in New Jersey. Maine used to, when land cleared for fields was allowed to go wild again (when trucks and supermarkets replaced local farms). That in-between stage is deer heaven; Maine is growing past that. Next best is Suburbia.

I advise heavy pickup trucks with grille guards. You can't shoot deer around houses. But that's where they are! I once attempted a deer with a 1979 Thunderbird, inadvertently (they really do jump right out), but this did not go well (he got away-- 2 tons was not enough impact).

After living with deer in NJ, I consider them the same as rats or spruce trees. I don't presently have a rat or deer problem, but I have spent the last few weeks taking out 80 foot spruce weeds before any more fall on my power wire.
Old 9th December 2017, 04:02 AM   #10
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Every so often I see deer while cycling the Don Valley trail in mid-town Toronto. Unexpected.

Please Don't Feed The DeerHide this!Advertise here!