Please Don't Feed The Deer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have noticed a new hazards on the interstates, "pacers." This is a texter who will ignore everything but the phone, but will keep you in the corner of her eye and pace herself to keep you there while focusing her attention on the phone. Usually she will be in the left lane while you are in the right. Invariably you will come up on a slower car in the right lane and be forced to slow down. She will often not notice and slow to continue pacing, leading to a back up behind and angry drivers doing stupid things.
I think that we will see this type of behavior with self-driving cars. The cars won't anticipate upcoming situations when the self-driving car's lack of action will make it difficult for other cars to change speed or lane. For instance boxing another car in or making it difficult for a car on an entrance ramp to merge.

There is something majestic and free about seeing a wild rabbit running like a smooth criminal across four lanes of deserted highway without any traffic. Almost like he owns the place.

I, Tonya -- about Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan 1994 Winter Olympics -- asked her father for a "fur coat" -- and it took a lot of rabbits.

I, Tonya (2017) - IMDb

Now playing at a theatre near you!

We have a lot of red fox around here; not uncommon to run into them in the yard at night. They talk to each other at night, not in a good way when there are territory issues involved.

Being on a big lake, bald eagle are a really common sight here in fall and winter. One gave me an overflight last weekend while I was putting up Christmas lights. They do not seem to consume deer, unfortunately.

I hear screech owls here at night, but have not seen or heard any large owls.

Win W5JAG

I live near the center of a city of about 100K population. There's a Barred Owl sitting up in a tree on our property many nights when I come home. I've never seen him, but I sure can hear him!

I imagine he's finding plenty of mice to eat around here with the mild weather we've been having.

As I drove around a bend on a county highway the other day, there was a huge bald eagle, standing on the shoulder, tugging away on some road kill like a crow! I've never seen that before. I was awestruck by the sudden close-up view, but also alarmed - what if he'd decided to take flight right in front of me? Not only would I feel horrible for hitting him, but there are pretty strict laws regarding harm to these birds...

Up all night with a sick child, and went outside a little after dawn to get some fresh air - six of them loitering in the front yard looking for trouble. Four adults and a couple of yearlings.

One had the nerve to stomp her hoof and snort at me.

Win W5JAG

There are no deer where i live... so please pardon the ignorance.
If you dont "claim your territory" (with a gun ?) do they get more aggressive ?

I draw the line at stomping and snorting.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Deer are large rabbits. (You must know rabbits.) Pure herbivores, not built to rip you apart. But 200+ pounds and stupid.

Mostly they will spook away from people. In the wild they must avoid wolves, but most places killed all the wolves a century ago. Most of the deer too, but deer populations re-grow very fast. In suburban NJ, and a few places in Maine, NY, etc, deer are pests.

Some places they get acclimated and will stand around as long as the people stay in their place (porch), but move away if the people act unusual.

But they are unpredictable. Also semi-arrogant about guarding their children and establishing mating partners. Mother with kids may well snort, both to try to scare you off and to alert the kids they need to pay attention and be ready to flee. Horny buck will fight anything he can't mount.

I have not seen a deer stand-up to a person who walked toward the deer shouting and waving. If a few snorts doesn't deter approach, turn-and-run is easy enough. There ARE many cases of deer who attacked a human, generally provoked, sometimes stupidly (on both sides).

Moose are the same only bigger and rarer.

For most people, the big danger from deer and moose is highway accidents. A deer can do serious damage to car and occupants. A moose can decapitate the car and passengers, and sometimes walk away.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.