Please Don't Feed The Deer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dad hit a deer once, he was OK but it was the end of his Alfa Romeo Berlina. The car stoppen in a straight line even though the front end was destroyed. He couldn't see anything after the impact because the windshield was covered in blood and battery acid.

My dad hit a deer once, he was OK but it was the end of his Alfa Romeo Berlina. The car stoppen in a straight line even though the front end was destroyed. He couldn't see anything after the impact because the windshield was covered in blood and battery acid.

My wife was taking the 2 older boys to Scouts one evening. She struck a pretty hefty glancing blow at one down near the municipal pool. The thing was lying on the ground and a cop came and put it out of his misery.

The 2 young men announced at the Scout meeting "My mom killed Bambi!"

We have pheasant shoots in our area.
Once you have worked out how stupid they are it is possible to avoid them. You see loads of flat ones on the roads.
They stick there heads out from the side of the road just before they jump out. You can save the radiator and intercooler only if you keep the brakes in good condition. They go between grille guards or bull bars and do the damage anyway.
There are quite a lot of deer further south. When I lived in the south I hit one that was already down. It came up under the fuel tank causing a leak. Diesel fuel really stinks when it is on the garage floor.

Diesel fuel really stinks when it is on the garage floor.

And diesel fuel on wet concrete is some slippery stuff.

Deer in the park where I walk and jog are pretty common. So are large populations of Canadian Geese this time of year. Best not spook them if their flight path takes them overhead. The exhaust droppings are rather nasty.
with no undeveloped land. Yet seeing deer is more and more common.

Deer can be seen here most every morning, but we live about 2 miles out of town. Deer do wander through town sometimes when food is scarce. I was visiting some relatives a few years ago when everyone except me went shopping. The homeowner told me to shoot any deer I saw in or near his garden. I replied that it is illegal to shoot deer from your house, or discharge a firearm in town. He then handed me a paint ball gun. It does motivate the deer to leave.....but they have short memories.

would repeatedly and unsuccessfully attempt to “pet” him.

There were a couple of young doe that hung around here two winters ago. I never could touch them, but one would take an apple from my hand. That one was last seen on the side of the main road dead later that year, and the other one disappeared about a month later.

I tend to think the local game warden should determine how many dear the want to reduce the
population by. Then have a system were they issue that many tags. Then for the e hunters who
do not get a dear can turn their tag in for a partial refund or give it to another hunter.

Some people depend on hunting to feed their family so it would be a benifit to them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We had a deer jump through the pub window from the street a couple years back. They aren't that uncommon around here. We have wild Turkey as well.

The deer that went through the window? Can't remember, but I do think he jumped back out. They may have had to put him down.

Moose are dangerous to hit. They nearly always kill the auto or light truck.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I saw a wild rabbit running across the street as I drove up into town to get mcdonalds just now.

There is something majestic and free about seeing a wild rabbit running like a smooth criminal across four lanes of deserted highway without any traffic. Almost like he owns the place.

The area he was in was a really bad neighbourhood too so its almost like he was a pimp, the pimp of rabbits.

I own one pet rabbit and I wouldn't mind having a few more. Like hundreds of rabbits hopping to and fro in my back yard. Digging tunnels under the back fences and creating even more rabbits in underground lairs.

You can call me the rabbit guy. The one who lost all his marbles. Like the cat lady.

I can then sell rabbit poop for $2 a bag and buy a Yacht and retire in Rabbit island.

Last edited:
determine how many dear the want to reduce the population by......they issue that many tags......partial refund or give it to another hunter.

Since the popularity of alligator shoes and purses in the 1950's and early 60's, gator became a protected species in Florida. Several times during my teen years of camping out in the everglades, we would be visited by the game wardens checking for gator poaching. They didn't seem to care about the other obvious violations and acts of stupidity like underage drinking, a dozen kids with at least that many guns including fully automatic rifles, with several dead rats and snakes scattered in bits on the ground......just gator.

About 10? years or so ago the gator population grew to the nuisance level in several areas, so controlled hunts were allowed with the tag system you discussed, with tags being given, one per person by lottery since there were more applicants than tags. Of course, this led to a black market in gator tags, so they are now serialized and issued by name.

Deer are rare in the southern everglades, and there is no legal deer season. I have never seen a deer in the southern glades....plenty of wild hogs though. There is a unique deer species in the Florida Keys, called "Key Deer." A full grown male may reach 100 pounds and has no rack, maybe small nubs. They are an "endangered species" and less than 100 survive as of 20+ years ago, the last time I was in the keys. There are deer, and a deer hunting season in north central Florida.

Lately there has been a problem with certain species of snakes, pythons and some constrictors, which have bred from "pet snakes" released into the wild years ago. There is a tag system, and a state sponsored bounty for certain snakes that are disrupting the eco system by killing off some species of protected animals. This changes every year, since it seems that amateur snake hunters rarely kill one.

I saw a wild rabbit running across the street

We have plenty of rabbits here. Nobody bothers them except for the "attack cat" that hangs out under the vacant house trailer next door. She will occasionally kill one, eat the parts she wants, then bring me the rest as if it was a precious gift. Ducks, chickens, a few geese, and occasionally a turkey or two also visit.

Last edited:
Deer hunting is popular here in rural West Virginia. However, more deer are killed each year by vehicles than bullets or arrows. Unfortunately the deer kill people too as they crash their vehicles trying to avoid the deer. We have roads with 100 foot drop-offs and no guard rails. Zero room for error.

I was once ridding a motorcycle in rural West Virginia with 3 other guys. The first guy through woke and scared the deer that was sleeping in the ditch by the road. The deer jumped in front of the 2nd guy with the head smashing the fairing and headlight and the body of the deer swing around and leaving poop on the seat. That guy is a hell of a rider and kept the bike upright and rode it to a safe place. Other than a scratch on his boot, he was fine.

The deer lay there for a second, then got up and ran away.

When riding a motorcycle, it's hard to decide which is more dangerous, the driver with a cell phone or a deer. The safer bet is to go home and solder something.

Jac

the driver with a cell phone or a deer.

Deer are predictable......phone yackers, or worse texters are not.

I have noticed a new hazards on the interstates, "pacers." This is a texter who will ignore everything but the phone, but will keep you in the corner of her eye and pace herself to keep you there while focusing her attention on the phone. Usually she will be in the left lane while you are in the right. Invariably you will come up on a slower car in the right lane and be forced to slow down. She will often not notice and slow to continue pacing, leading to a back up behind and angry drivers doing stupid things.

The usual remedy is to slow down enough so that you can floor it and pass the slow moving car by shooting in front of her, but this doesn't work if you are driving a slow car.

friend gave me a Bambi

Young doe (there is a legal doe season here) have the least "gamey" taste. Either way my wife won't eat deer, and prefers that I not cook it when she is home. She doesn't like the smell. Deer meat has little fat, so some added coconut oil prevents burning and improved the taste.

We had a deer jump through the pub window from the street a couple years back.

A bear broke into my sister's house in Colorado -- broke the kitchen door (off its hinges) and tore the door off the refrigerator, tore off several cupboard doors as well!

Had a fellow in Sussex Cty NJ who shot a bear that was attempting to break into his house, he was arrested by the game warden! Black bears are a big problem in suburban NJ. (In NJ, if you shoot a burglar in your house, you are likely to be arrested.)

A couple hours north of where I live, you don't need to buy meat you just have to pick it up before someone runs over it again.

I can relate to what George is saying. The Canada Goose which heads south for the winter, like a lot of Canadians, can be noisy, messy and downright mean. They're a rather sturdy bird so when they give you or your pet a a wing beating or bill snapping, you feel it for days.

The geese show up here right after the softball season is over. November on, there is nobody on the ball fields and they are not mowed. There is often a hundred or so geese there.

There is a paved walking trail around the perimeter of the park. I was about halfway around the trail at the far end of the park when some redneck in the neighboring trailer park turns his large dog loose chasing the geese, which all took off flying toward the hills beyond me. I found myself covered in greenish brown goose crap. I had to wash off in the rather cold creek water, then drip dry for a while before heading back to my car.

we had a bobcat move in

Haven't seen bobcats, but we do get coyotes sometimes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.