Please Don't Feed The Deer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This reminds me of Miyajima, an island near Hiroshima, Japan. Lots of deer roaming among the tourists as if it was completely normal.

Don't leave any loose paper around. They'll eat it!

Attachments

• S1270008_sm.JPG
    S1270008_sm.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 118
  • S1270010_sm.JPG
    S1270010_sm.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 112
  • S1270011_sm.JPG
    S1270011_sm.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 105
  • S1270013a_sm.JPG
    S1270013a_sm.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 112
  • S1270072a_sm.JPG
    S1270072a_sm.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 105
They say deer adapt quickly, and that said they do seem smarter then previous years, backing away from the road/cars [but not too fast]

Deer around here are about as sharp as a plank.:D They are hit by cars frequently, and sometimes killed outright. I see lots of them limping. A few weeks ago there was a dead fawn with a rather large buzzard standing beside it in a neighbors yard.

jeff

We had a cabin in a gated development where there were many deer without any predators to keep them in check. As a result, many were stumbling around, infested, likely horribly inbred.

I think they made some of the softer residents comfortable, and that somehow thought they were helping or something.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A lot of people in Maine eat deer routinely. You have to get your kill tagged (whether shot or hit) and there's a limit, and a season for hunting, but it isn't hard to feed a family.

When I bought this house, a large stuffed deer head was on the wall. Glenn did not hunt regularly, but one day he came over the hill and saw a perfect buck, was able to bag it legally.

When deer are hit on the highway, and the hitter does not want it, the police know which family nearby needs the meat.

Wild deer meat can not be sold.

Tagging includes weighing and taking a tooth for deer studies.

The bonus prize is Moose. Permits are limited, but if you win one and get your moose, you got MEAT.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There's a real difference here between Australia and the US. Here in some places we have an absolute plague of Kangaroo's - and they're an excellent (if non traditional) source of lean and tasty protein. And when I say plague, I'd drive at about 20kph down the road at dawn in one place I lived as several hundred homicidal kangaroos crossed the road in front of me.

Culling occurs, but it's pretty tightly managed, and the meat more often than not ends up in petfood. Whilst the hunting culture in the US isn't something I 'get' as such, I do wish we'd use some of this natural bounty we have in the way you all have been describing. :)

K-ROO Kangaroo Recipes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.