Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please Don't Feed The Deer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2017, 07:26 AM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

"Please don't feed the deer"...... to wolves
Old 9th December 2017, 08:44 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lots of deer around here (columbia black tails). They are quite tme. In the grassy are on the other side of the garden, in the driveway, all over.

They are a problem in the city. With the nice weather around here they don’t lack for food. They eat the low hanging fruit outside the fence. The bears & squirrels get at those. If the bears do there is usually none left.

The only legal way to kill them is with the car, something you don’t want to do as it can mess up the car. I did get some nice bambi steaks from one of those road-kills. My brother struck it with the Rover, him and the passeger loaded it into the truck, and a friend did all the proper prework and butched it. I hit one with the truck… it was a green mess when i hauled it off the road.

dave
Old 9th December 2017, 09:16 AM   #13
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

rdf, you need to be careful while cycling. A year ago I saw a guy out on his bicycle when a faun contested his right of way ! It wouldn't have been right to say he hit the deer as the fawn broadsided him ! Neither was hurt.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:15 AM   #14
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
A year ago I saw a guy out on his bicycle when a faun contested his right of way !
Both types of Faun are a scary thing to meet in traffic so I yield to either. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Faun_HK_100-05.jpg (199.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpeg faun.jpeg (15.8 KB, 167 views)
Old 9th December 2017, 11:52 AM   #15
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Deer hunting is popular here in rural West Virginia. However, more deer are killed each year by vehicles than bullets or arrows. Unfortunately the deer kill people too as they crash their vehicles trying to avoid the deer. We have roads with 100 foot drop-offs and no guard rails. Zero room for error.
Old 9th December 2017, 01:51 PM   #16
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Hitting a deer with a small car can be quite dangerous. The low front end can flip them up into the windshield. A deer hitting a front seat occupant can lead to serious injury or worse.

I have only hit one deer so far. It was in a small town right just outside the main city. Jumped out and hitting the brakes just tapped it in the left hind leg. It fell over got back up and then continued to cross the interstate. No car damage.

However due to the common attitude of hunters during deer season my coat is bright red.

There was a jogger who was killed jogging in the woods wearing tan clothing. Jury found the shooter not guilty.

Of course my tulips are just a snack for local wildlife.

One local township does allow bow hunting. Badly aimed arrows don't go through the walls of houses. Out past the suburbs I know folks who sit on their porch to successfully hunt deer.

Way out folks really hunt to supplement their food budget.
Old 9th December 2017, 02:18 PM   #17
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Our second house on Beaver Lake, is an area where Deer are protected. So, they outnumber everyone and run the place with absolute impunity.

Big, well fed, deer. An Oak tree in our front yard puts out acorns the size of my thumb.

They block the roads. They eat everything, except the grass. Our "backyard" runs steeply down to the lake edge, and from the deck on the street level floor, I could easily bag these rascals all evening long. But you can't, and they know it.

A few places have allowed special hunts within city limits to try to thin them out. Mountain Lion sightings ( and kills ) are occurring again, no doubt in response to the big deer and wild hog population. It's unclear whether a breeding population of these predators has re established. Game and Fish says no. People that are in the woods a lot are less certain.

Win W5JAG
Old 9th December 2017, 03:16 PM   #18
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
rdf, you need to be careful while cycling.
Hi woody. I accidentally came within feet of a faun this year. It can be a very busy trail so they seem acclimated to the whizzing traffic and just stroll away. The one time it became a concern was riding through snow late one evening and realizing a 10-12 point buck was a dozen feet off the trail staring at my handlebar light. It happened right around the red dot.
Riding these trails for over twenty five years and at most seeing a rabbit or raccoon, for me the memory well outweighs the risk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torontodeer.jpg (576.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 9th December 2017, 04:18 PM   #19
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Hitting a deer with a small car can be quite dangerous. The low front end can flip them up into the windshield. A deer hitting a front seat occupant can lead to serious injury or worse.
My uncle hit a moose and just barely missed getting killed.

Quote:
I know folks who sit on their porch to successfully hunt deer.
It would be illegal, but i could put a salt-lick just outside me back fence and sit on the deck with a cross-bow and easily pick them off.

dave
Old 9th December 2017, 04:32 PM   #20
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

I live in a high density suburb, with about 9500 people per square mile. Home lots range from 50 by 125 to 200 be 400 feet with no undeveloped land. Yet seeing deer is more and more common. There have been a few reports of coyote sightings.

Please Don't Feed The DeerHide this!Advertise here!