win xp antivirus progs dont work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all
my PC was attacked by bilion viruses so i had to install win xp pro all over again.
i got the old ver without SP1 so after installing it i tried to update it to SP1 .
guess what happened , the stupid worm 32 blablabla virus attacked my system couple of secunds after i accessed the microsoft windows update website
anyways i've managed to fix it (it took me couple of hours though)
i got a different problem now :
i have installed norton antivirus 2004 and ran all sys scan and after cleaning all the viruses and restarting the PC the program (norton antivirus) stopped working , i'm double clicking the icon and it appears for a secund and dissappears again
i tried to reinstall the antivirus -its not helping ,so i tried different antivirus called panda antivirus platinum and the problem remains !!!
the program is closing by itself , what is going on ???
maybe i got some virus that kills my antivirus progs???
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
In the last weeks several ( at least 6 or 7 ) people I know that use a legally bought Norton AV 2004 had their pc's infected with the Netsky, Bagle and Nachi variants. To be honest, Norton Antivirus is not a good virusscanner anymore. Please try the free virusscanner Antivir for comparison ( www.free-av.com ). Please take some time to set the config pages so that the program actually wipes the virusses.

Since Norton has become one of the biggest companies in virusscanners they suffer from the Microsoft syndrome. They are the biggest so people that create virusses try to switch off Norton AV with their creations. They succeed in this as I've seen quite some infected pc's that had Norton on it updated till that day while Norton did not give any warning of an infection !!!!!! A second point is that while installing NAV 2004 on XP machines errors messages turn up.

Other good scanners are Sophos and the free Avast scanner. Don't even think of trying Norman, it detects less virusses than Norton AV 2004. I used to use McAfee in the past but I haven't got a clue what the quality of their product is nowadays.

For a quick disinfection ( but not protection ! ) you can use these tools:

http://www.sophos.com/support/cleaners/baglegui.com

http://www.sophos.com/support/cleaners/ntskygui.com

http://www.sophos.com/support/cleaners/nachigui.com

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Some virusses switch off NAV indeed. Even with NAV installed new infections will try to switch it off. Switching to a Mac or Linux won't solve your problem right now. Download those tools en try another virusscanner as suggested.

I am sure when Linux becomes more mainstream the virusmakers will pay attention to that. For the Linux platform the amount of virus/worm-variations grows rapidly. Whatever platform you use, you should protect your machine adequately. Certainly when you've got a broadband connection ( and P2P filesharing ).

Hi again

jean-paul is right ,
switching operative system
will not solve anything in the long run,
thank fully (!) linux is still so small that it's
still relatively problem free.

Personally I'll probably end up with Windows and linux parallell
because i like linux better, but still need windows for some programs.

Don't have any longterm solution for the virus problem , tho :scratch:

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.