HELP me stop smoking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:) Help me stop smoking!

I am tired of this bad habit. But it's kindoff hard to stop (I think)... Been years since i last tried quitting btw.

I am not going the cigarette substitute way like those battery-powered electronic cigarette - No way :)

Whats a good solution ? Any trick's ?
Howto do this ?

Really need a carrot for doing this...

Thanx all!

Jesper.,

The Doctor showing me the CT scan of the tumours in my lung and throat did it for me!
Treatment meant I was off work for 11 months and 2 weeks. Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy and a total of 5 operations. That was near 2 yrs ago. So far still in remission as they say. :)
Good luck

There are several things you have to consider before making an attempt to starve yourself from the intake of cigarette smoke nutrients...

1) Nutrient intake.
When stopping smoking your body needs to substitute for the nutrients that it gets from cigarettes. You must change to a more nutritious diet i.e. lots of green leaf vegetables, and well balanced cooked meals.

2) Associative habits: Coffee, sweets, fatty foods....
These habits will always lead to a cigarette craving. get rid of all those habits that pull you into a desire to light up another one. Go for a cup of tea for a change.. Skip sweets.. eat salads with lemon sauce for a change in your metabolism, it will confuse the system and will weaken the desire for a cigarette.

3) As soon as you make a decision to stop smoking you must make these changes that will steer you away from the craving for smoke..
And... It will be helpful to stay away from smokers for the first week.

Remember, Cigarette smoke contains good minerals as well as very bad ones...
You must support your body needs for nutrient intake while making the transition..
Good luck.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The way I quit tobacco was that I found the whimpiest cigarettes available. And those turned out to be Alpine Blue's with Menthol. I was able to quit sucessfully but it wasn't easy on those. There was one day when I had my last smoke that I decided to stop smoking on when the cravings were both strong but not entirely uncontrollable. Important thing to do is to simply don't pick up another one. If you can manage to do that you'll brake the cycle and once you've broken the cycle within a 24 hour period you won't want another one.

Unfortunately cigarette manufacturers do not post the nicotine content online.

I would really recommend you rethink getting into vaping, it can help you quit. I've got a iStick Pico and I buy Vegetable Glycerine and Nicotine in bulk online. I couldn't be happier. Its much more healthier than cigarettes and it helps with my depression.

I'm currently on 2mg/100mL of nicotine/vg which is practically nothing, the best thing is I can add more vegetable glycerine and quit any time I want to by slowly tapering off the amount of nicotine until there is none left. With 1mg/100mL you can barely feel anything and because I do the mixing at home (with a spoon and syringe) I can go all the way down to 0.1mg/100mL

I'll quit vaping someday but its pretty hard to want to quit something that is pretty much harmless. The weirdoes will tell you that vaping is just as dangerous as cigarettes, shows how much they know about vaping, with vaping you are boiling quite literally two ingredients, vegetable glycerine and nicotine with a ceramic/pure cotton fabric vaporiser, and no ceramic dust is not inhaled when you vape even with the cheapest cartridges that I use. That is just more scareware.

Besides if it wasn't for vaping I would probably be doing caffeine and sugar and we both know how dangerous those are.

Last edited:
Look's like i got something for a start, and thanks all for the very usefull answers until now.

As i "speak" i am also starting to read the book suggested in post #2; interessting read i must say, but as the writer mention it's kind off hard to understand at the beginning of the book... Let's see how it turns out.

I should have been writing (but didn't dare!) that i will as much as possible (not 100% convinced) that i will NOT use any pills, drugs or like to stop this smoking thing :eek: -Case is that allmost every pill or chewinggum or like, allmost all of them have some bad side effects, but then again smoking have a lot of side effects! Hmmm... it's hard to decide what to belive sometimes...

Maybee i quit this evening? -Let's see how it goes ???

Jesper.

I tried many times and just couldn't quit. Then about 17 years ago I tried the patch and the antidepresent Zyban. Well I would go a week and then pick them back up . Then I started walking about an hour every morning andt that helped me get stick with it . About a month later I gave up using the patch and zyban but kept up th ewalking. Two months later I was still nicotine free and had actualy lost a few pounds. Then a few months later I read a little article about wemen who start3ed an exercise program when they tried to quit smoking. Those who started exercising had a sucess rate twice as high as those who didn't adapt an exercise program and gained far less weight.

I waited for a less stressful time of the year and planning my approach before-hand - noting times when I would be desperate for a fag like first thing in the morning and after sex:D

Then it was will power and 4mg nicotine gum for those periods when the craving started to gnaw at me.

Good Luck

I tried many times and just couldn't quit. Then about 17 years ago I tried the patch and the antidepresent Zyban. Well I would go a week and then pick them back up . Then I started walking about an hour every morning andt that helped me get stick with it . About a month later I gave up using the patch and zyban but kept up th ewalking. Two months later I was still nicotine free and had actualy lost a few pounds. Then a few months later I read a little article about wemen who start3ed an exercise program when they tried to quit smoking. Those who started exercising had a sucess rate twice as high as those who didn't adapt an exercise program and gained far less weight.

Glad you wrote this, very good reading.

I am also very afraid gaining weight (i guess i am a little vain at that point!)... So having such proposals is nice :)...

Jesper.

These things worked for me......eventually

1) I asked doctor if he could help, he said "why do you want to stop?"

2) I thought to myself, I can do one of the most positive things in my life by doing nothing at all.

3) Don't give up giving up, have a cigarette if you want, don't think that means you've failed

There are several things you have to consider before making an attempt to starve yourself from the intake of cigarette smoke nutrients...

1) Nutrient intake.
When stopping smoking your body needs to substitute for the nutrients that it gets from cigarettes. You must change to a more nutritious diet i.e. lots of green leaf vegetables, and well balanced cooked meals.

2) Associative habits: Coffee, sweets, fatty foods....
These habits will always lead to a cigarette craving. get rid of all those habits that pull you into a desire to light up another one. Go for a cup of tea for a change.. Skip sweets.. eat salads with lemon sauce for a change in your metabolism, it will confuse the system and will weaken the desire for a cigarette.

3) As soon as you make a decision to stop smoking you must make these changes that will steer you away from the craving for smoke..
And... It will be helpful to stay away from smokers for the first week.

Remember, Cigarette smoke contains good minerals as well as very bad ones...
You must support your body needs for nutrient intake while making the transition..
Good luck.

Agree :worship: indeed!

Will is very important.
But the will in itself is not sufficient, You also need to know how to overcome the problems and difficulties you are going to face in this situation...

Please add to my list of recommendations: Exercise..
You must do some physical activity, to get the blood flowing and lungs opening up. Start slowly and work your way up to what you can, don`t over push your limits at once. You will improve with time.

First I think you need to understand that it is not a matter of "will" people have different reactions to addictive substances. It is more physical handicap than moral failing. That being said, exercise is the only thing that ever worked for me. I've tried at various times nicotine replacement, antidepressants, cold turkey and acupuncture. 40 miles a day on a bicycle worked great until I crashed. Over the course of many attempts I learned a couple of things. When a craving is really bad just stop breathing. Don't take a deep breath, don't prepare. Just stop breathing until your mind refocuses on the fact that you really need to take a breath. Have plenty of healthy snacks at hand, not sure how it is related but I know I ate like crazy. Once you quit no matter for how long don't ever take even one a drag of a cigarette. They will start to smell good again, you will think you got the habit licked so what is the harm. Take it from me, you can go from one drag to a pack a day in a week.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I quit smoking 12 years ago. My wife still smokes around me. She is not ready to give up the habit yet. The nicotine part is easy to get over, as your body adapts to that part fast. The real hard part is having your mind get used to the fact that you are not smoking anymore. This is what I did:

I weaned myself off cigarettes by smoking 1/2 a pack a day to start with for a month. I then cut this half for the next month, then cut in half for the next month. Pretty soon I was down to 2 smokes a day, and I had to choose when I wanted them. I then went to a non-smoking seminar at the hospital, and I received a great amount of support and advice along with one important piece of paper. This piece of paper had a figure of a cigarette and all of the toxic chemicals contained in the cigarette (ie: toluenes, benzenes, fiberglass, etc). This has been on my fridge door for years, as a source of motivation. I am surrounded by people that smoke, and yet I do not miss it one bit.

I hope this helps you,

Myles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.