HELP me stop smoking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You smoke because you wan't to.

If you really want't to quit than just do it and don't make excuses to continue to smoke.

Then take the money you would normally waste on smoking and put it in a jar and watch it grow.
Then when you feel the desire leave go blow the money on a toy for yourself for not giving in.

BTW I was a two pack a day smoker, and now I have absolutely zero desire
to ever smoke again (in truth I can't even stand the smell anymore).

I've never really ever smoked, except for a few Cuban cigars.

My dad was a hard smoker for who knows how many decades. It was very much a part of his cultural norm. We thought he would never quit. Then he quit cold turkey one day, unprompted from us.

He later said the reason was he walking down the street where we lived in Montreal, and had a dry hacking coughing fit. A paesano was walking by, and said in Italian "Can't you see that you're killing yourself, you fool?" and that was it, he stopped then cold turkey.

The best way to give up smoking is to never start.
My mother gave up smoking when she got cancer.
My dad gave up at the same time.
Then when she became bed bound he started again.

It saddens me greatly in this day and age that kids still start smoking very young.
My parents generation didn't know smoking was harmful so had an excuse.

I started watching UK TV over the internet and was amazed at how much deep draw cigarette smoking was part of the plot.
Is smoking trendy again in the UK?

Cigarette, even if easy to smoke is very toxic and bad for health.

Try smoking pipe with nice tobacco. You don't get it in your lungs, it is more relaxing and there is not as much bad smelling tar/toxic treatments to age the tobacco like in cigarette processing.

It is much trouble and harder to smoke, stronger, hotter.

Also small cigars from Cuba are healthier if you don't inhale.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am a cigarette smoker since the age of 14.
I enjoy smoking. I would never stop smoking if I could limit myself to five cigarettes per day or about.
But I can’t and only drastic measures have an effect on me.

First time I quit smoking for two years.
Second time for four years.
Third time for nine years.
Now it is the fifth time and I hope it will last for 18 years (already in the second year, sixteen to go :D)

I feel I have to stop smoking because I am fed-up of allowing myself to smoke too much.
I haven’t felt bad in physical exercise while smoking the cigarettes that I was rolling myself. I was running 20km twice a week. I felt it in my lugs though if I smoked ready made cigarettes.

To stop smoking I follow no special method, I use no substitutes and no gradual smoking reduction.

George

Hi...

I feel i had to tell here, how things are going now :)

Case is i stop smoking, and after 2-3 day's see myself start again :eek:... Over and over again...
I really have to kick my own *Butt now for keep trying

But hey, i actually quit the smokes for few day's so its a start i guess.

Will chime in again here when (if) i got further than stopping for few days :)

Anyway thanks all for good advices.

Jesper,

A smoking habit is usually several different habits combined: (1) nicotine addiction, (2) addiction to other chemicals, (3) phyisical act of smoking & (4) taking regular “time outs”. As I understand it (2) & (3) are the main health risks (nicotine itself in typical doses isn’t a big issue). Stop (2) & (3) by vaping or using gum. Once you get used to that, phase out (1) by reducing vaping/gum usage at a pace that works for you (even if you take months, it’s much less of a health risk than smoking). No need to stop (4) :)

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I went from over a pack a day to nothing in 4 weeks. And that was with a roommate who smoked too.

Just ask your doctor for a prescription, I forget the name maybe wellbutrin? It's an antidepressant but works for smoking as an off-label use. Do not drink alcohol, it negates the drugs affect.

You don't need to stop smoking while taking it. You don't follow a regiment. You decrease at your own pace. And then one day you realize the physical addiction is gone, the psychological part is up to you and your willpower (ie always having a cigarette with your coffee)

I haven't had a cigarette or desire to have one in almost 18 years.

Best of luck! It can be done, you must need to want to, and support from those around you can help.

I smoked roll ups for many many years and a fair bit of pot as well but gave up on the spot and with no issue when I met my future wife. She did not smoke and I empathised with what it must be like to kiss an ash tray mouth.......!
I stayed clean for about 6 years and then a friend was smoking ‘Old Holbourn’ at work one day and I asked for a roll up from him.......aaaaah! So nice, so nice smelling! That was it, off again with the demon weed. Buy some, regret it, throw it away, go clean, buy more blah, blah, blah etc.
Then after a few years three friends died of cancer, one from lung cancer, and that had a profound effect.
But the thought that really took hold was that whilst smoking you are not in control of your mind.......the tabacco is! I mean what lengths do you go to in order to buy some tobacco? How do you feel when you run out, and the shops are shut?
When you take back control of your life from tobacco, giving up is easy, you just have to realise who is the boss! You do not need ‘vaping’ (avoid this like the plague) it just maintains the nicotine mind control over you.

Anyway I’ve been 100% clean for 5 years and will never smoke again. Never felt healthier.

I can´t understand all the negativity about E cigarrettes.

The forums are full of THOUSANDS of reports from people who had smoked their whole life, and never thought they would be able to quit.

Many had tried nicotine patches, gum and whatever, and just couldn´t stop.

Then they bought an E Cig, and just STOPPED smoking.

Many start with high nicotine content and reduce it slowly over time, untill they are at 0 % nicotine.

My wife (40 year smoker) quit from one day to the next with an E Cig; she went with 0% nicotine right from the start. She only "vapes" (there is no smoke) glycerin liquid with water. NO additives, NO flavors which might be harmful.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yeah I don't understand it either. Very negative. I got the same attitude from my counsellor "But they cause cancer!"... Not unless you are sucking on a dead burnt out coil made from asbestos... "But what about the nicotine" nuh uh... Caffeine is a stimulant too and you don't see anyone giving caffeine such a bad wrap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.