• 61 - 70

Votes: 123 20.2%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • 81 onwards

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have handled lead (solder) nearly every day since I was about 7 years old. The plant where I worked for 41 years made NiCad battery cells until the mid 80's. It is still listed on the federal superfund cleanup site list. Lead + cadmium......tasty combination.

I thought that my migraines were caused by using 39/61 solder since I was a kid, but since nobody mentions migraines, it's not it. Otherwise I feel like I am 33. Well, except wearing glasses, obviously. I could see marking on any small parts back 15 years ago, but about 10 years ago I had to use magnifying glass time to time, now I wear glasses...

Turned 56 a few months back. I've had tinnitus since 2000 but otherwise my hearing isn't too bad. I use ear plugs when I go to the movies, and that has prevented major aural abuse. Tried to turn my father's speakers into ESLs at the age of 12. Put the wires into the mains plug. Lovely solid bass sound. I now own three sets of ESLs 2 stacked pairs and 1 standard - all Quad. Modified a Garrard TT at 17, built a Bailley amp, and have not looked backed. Still don't understand electronics terribly well, but can trouble shoot minor problems. Been told I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron, but don't agree. I am tone deaf, and refuse to sing (I squawk & crow) but absolutely love to listen to music - from Bach to Wagner, Black Sabbath to ZZ Top, Jazz, Blues, etc but not cRap, HipHop et al modern shite. Very slowly getting around to refurbishing 2 x Thorens TD124s, DM-101, Walker CJ55 and a few other TTs. My biggest lesson in life was learning to ask when I did not understand, and not being too proud to ask for help when out of my depth.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I believe all the medical problems mentioned in this thread are caused by the inhalation of lead fumes.

I thought that too but I've actually got the scientific data to prove it.

Been soldering since I was 10-12 years old and my blood lead levels are below measurable levels, below the levels that the test can measure, which is amazing. Lead does NOT evaporate when you heat it with a regular soldering iron. Wont be the case however with a 150w iron, those things can evaporate anything.

Flux however, that can cause asthma but that's about it.

I did a full on blood test a few years ago, filled up 6 vials of blood.

Last edited:
Hi guy's

Started playing with audio at the age of 10 and never stopped. That is now over 45 years ago.
Been in analog electronics all my life starting with tubes, but by now left the vacuum stage eara. designing and building my own stuff and love simple no-feedback designs.

my blood lead levels are below measurable levels

The accepted test for heavy metal (lead, cadmium, mercury, uranium...) contamination in the human body is a 24 hr urine collection. The heavy metals tend to concentrate in spongy organ tissue, liver, lungs, kidneys... A simple blood test will not usually detect heavy metal build up in these organs.

These metals are most easily absorbed into the body by handling, IE skin contact, or inhalation of metal powders and vapors. As stated, lead and most of the heavies do not propagate in liquid form, and they do not vaporize at the temperature they are usually worked at.

I worked in a place where solder was constantly in use, cadmium was used for 15 years or so, and several other metals were used in thin and thick film microelectronics manufacture for about 10 years. I was the Mr. Fixit for most of the machinery involved in these processes, including vapor deposition, sputtering, and laser cutting machines.

I went to the same doctor for most of the 41 years I worked there, as did a lot of other employees. I asked for that test every year, and it was refused. Other employees got the same treatment from this and other doctors.

The health insurance company I have been on for the last 4 years has also refused this test, but now that I'm on Medicare, I will try again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.