Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Looking to buy a laptop. Any reason to buy a rotten Apple?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2017, 03:48 PM   #1
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Looking to buy a laptop. Any reason to buy a rotten Apple?

Please advise, Windows newbie. All my previous computers were Mac's, not only to be compatible with the recording studio I worked at but because they were better computers. The last one I bought was around 8 years ago when Apple was still a computer maker. Afaic they are now a telephone maker and a music thief, err distributer. That is where they make there profits. Speaking of there phones, I read that half the phones they sell come back with broken screens. With any other product this would be a defect and a recall would be ordered. With rotten Apple it's a feature... for them. I diverge. I will use it as multimedia machine ( a 4K monitor and multichannel surround) where Macs used to shine, Internet stuff, LTspice, and for testing audio gear. (will I need to buy an external sound card?) So is there any reason to buy one?

Can anybody who has switched to PC from a Mac warn me of pitfalls or surprises? Thanks in advance.
Old 8th November 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have both, and love the Mac Powerbook. However, I use my Dell Windows 10 machine much, much more for audio simply because of software. It's much easier to find the software I want for testing and even good playback on Windoze. Some, of course, are cross-platform OSX, Win, Linux, but many are not.

With a reasonably priced Dell or similar, you can do so many things and have money left over for software and hardware. Of course most good USB soundcards will do Windows or OSX, so that's not a real hurtle.
Old 8th November 2017, 04:10 PM   #3
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

So what do you still use the Mac for?
Old 8th November 2017, 04:23 PM   #4
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A PC is asking for trouble. I haven't switched my Dell 17" laptop on since I purchased my iMac. Totally different world.
Free upgrades to newer OSX and most software is free from the App Store.
I don't know why I put up with the everlasting messages; "Do not switch off, Windows is updating". Updating what? More rubbish to slow the drive down no doubt.
Disconnect your PC and spend hours resurrecting your OS. Disconnect a Mac, it starts up as you left off and no complaints. Automatic backup with Time Machine, no defrag required on a RAW system and you don't have to click the on tab to switch it off!
Old 8th November 2017, 04:25 PM   #5
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can install Windows OS on a Mac if you want to using Boot Camp, a free set up application.
Old 8th November 2017, 04:38 PM   #6
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
You can install Windows OS on a Mac if you want to using Boot Camp, a free set up application.
Does it allow .net programs ?
What about redist for c++ programs ?
Old 8th November 2017, 04:51 PM   #7
Pars is offline Pars  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking to buy a laptop. Any reason to buy a rotten Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post

Wine and Winebottler can also go a long way towards running windoze stuff on a mac. That is how I use the win version of LTSpice on my mac, for example (mac version is kinda crippled). And it's free. Most of the windoze stuff (utilities, the like) is $.
Old 8th November 2017, 04:53 PM   #8
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I switched to Windows for about 4 years. Yeah, it was easier to find software, but in the end I couldn't take it and switched back.

The UI was awful. (I was a UI designer, so that might bother me more than others.) I also couldn't stand all the hacks such as libcurl, MKS toolkit, etc. to try and get unix-descended stuff to (sometimes) work.

But my wife (who was also a unix user back in the day) hates Apple and sticks to Windows, so YMMV....
Old 8th November 2017, 04:55 PM   #9
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Wine and Winebottler can also go a long way towards running windoze stuff on a mac. That is how I use the win version of LTSpice on my mac, for example (mac version is kinda crippled). And it's free. Most of the windoze stuff (utilities, the like) is $.
I've been struggling along with Mac LTSpice. Is Win LTSpice + Wine better? (I do use Wine for PSUD2, so I already have it installed.)
Old 8th November 2017, 10:03 PM   #10
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Do yourself a favor and look at the Lenovo Thinkpads. Best laptops out there though they do have their own faults like build quality in the keyboard isn't what it used to be when the Thinkpad range was owned by IBM, there is a tiny bit of flex and the delete key is now a Function key thats about it. Still all in all if I were to buy a new laptop I would go with a Thinkpad, a large one.

The best laptop ever made would have to be the IBM Thinkpad X61. A laptop that you can speed type on, not even kidding.

Last edited by VenusFly; 8th November 2017 at 10:16 PM.

Looking to buy a laptop. Any reason to buy a rotten Apple?Hide this!Advertise here!