Looking to buy a laptop. Any reason to buy a rotten Apple?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Careful not to draw conclusions too quickly though. What might be true for big business isn't necessarily true for private use.

Even then, comparable hardware in both built quality and performances in PCs doesn't come much cheaper than in Macs. I'd rather have a thinkpad from the T serie than a macbook for quite a few reasons but they're not exactly cheap either.

Btw, a big selling point for thinkpads in my experience is the ability to get warranties such as 3 years nbd onsite as a private person. And access to an helpdesk that doesn't assume you're clueless.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm on my Mac right now. Great for browsing, photos, email, calendars, syncing with my iPhone - but I do my serious audio work on the Dell. Probably always will. That's mostly software driven, but I do like having normal size USB ports and an actual HDMI port. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll second the recommendation for Lenovo equipment. By far and away the most solid equipment. As for speed booting, buy a solid state drive. I use one for my system (boot) drive and a few TB one for the programs and data. Damn - it's fast.

-Chris

my IT department at work keeps my PC running

I am my IT department......Windows 7 machines just work......8 well that was a different story. Win 10, well that is on the other end of the spectrum from the "Rotten Apple." 10 isn't ripe yet so it goes through quarterly beta testing by us the users......I have one 10 machine. I don't use it much.

I do not have an Apple computer, but I do have an iPAD for the music making apps. When Apple upgraded it to IOS 10, it died. Within 2 hours Apple released 10.something that fixed it.

I built a couple of my own Win 10 tablets, they both worked until an update around July. The touch pads stopped responding in each of them once that forced update took place. Aparently the same thing happened to several brand name laptops. M$ claims that all these laptops just broke, and denies there is a problem. Installing W7 on my tablets fixed the "broken hardware" just fine.

BTW, all modern Apple desktops use Intel based hardware, and it is relatively easy to take a generic Intel based PC motherboard and build an OSX machine around it. I have seen machines that are dual boot, but this requires dual hard drives with incompatible file systems.

Last edited:
As a DIY guy I cant stand Apple. Look at their IfixIt scores, gone from terrible to horrible in less than 5 years. Apple wants you to take it their 'Genius's for warrantee service , upgrades and look you get to choose from their menus just like MacD's. Battery is toast? Time for a new laptop comes their reply. . Windows isn't much better their dream is to get everyone on the cloud and then to yearly / monthly charges for OS and/or MS Office 365 . This is attractive to big Corp accounts that way they can trim their IT staff down to 1/4. Corporate work their own deals, you and me are on our own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.