Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The car thread
The car thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2017, 04:56 AM   #81
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
I did something I haven't done before. Because the Escape has an inverter, I lined the roof rack with 50 LED Christmas lights.
Old 28th December 2017, 05:13 AM   #82
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
I had a friend who used to put a wreath on the front of his car and it had a bunch of Christmas lights that he rewired to work on 12V. He had an accident one year when it fell off and he ran over it.

For some reason thinking about it still makes me laugh, perhaps because I asked him what would happen if it fell off, and he claimed it couldn't.
Old 29th December 2017, 08:41 AM   #83
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

The car thread
my car stereo is being held in my ford by hopes and dreams.

The din mount space for it has no metal bracketing for it to grab onto so a dual din combination is just sitting in there with the aid of gravity and a slight tilt towards the back.

Only the factory head unit is capable of gripping onto the front plastic fascia and allowing any sort of mounting to go on.

But at least I have what I need, a 100% analog am/fm car radio cassette deck (Fujitsu Ten) and my analog single din plastic bracket with an alps pot and two stereo RCA cables going in and out of it.

The rca/alps pot will control volume coming from an AV switch located in the glove compartment, the AV switch is then connected to up-to 4x inputs, a bluetooth module and DAC, the audio coming from the Fujitsu Ten with a speaker to RCA stepdown transformer and whatever I want to add to it later on, all I need to do is add additional cables going into the glove compartment.

Then a single set of stereo RCA cables come out of the glove compartment and go to the rear of the car where I will mount two Pioneer amplifiers, one 2ch Class AB for the front speakers and one Pioneer 1,000w Monoblock for the sub.

So everything passes through that single alps pot with a gorgeous brushed aluminium rose gold volume control, just what you want in a car.

Then once the audio is done being amplified at the rear of the car it comes back up to the front for the speakers in the doors through an ISO DIN connector. Figured this was easiest for the midranges rather than running new cable to the speakers in the doors manually. There isnt much power there, only 60 watts rms at most, so its not like I need heavy duty wire.

Last edited by VenusFly; 29th December 2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:55 AM   #84
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Yes dipping the lights is changing from high beam to low beam. Maybe it is an Aussie/British term

Tony.
They are called 'dipped beam' in the UK because very early cars (RR Silver Ghost for example) had a mechanical device which literally dipped the headlights to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

The last car I know of which used a mechanical dipper rather than different lights/bulbs was the '50s 2CV. A curiosity like the old Beetle 'powering' the
the window wash with the pressure of the spare wheel and running a hose into the dashboard to the switch/valve but less dangerous.

In German dipped beam is called 'Abblendlicht' which roughly means 'non-blinding light'. I kinda like it because the very term makes you think of other road users.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 29th December 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 29th December 2017, 09:24 PM   #85
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
^Nice to know the origin! Thanks Charles.

Tony.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:32 AM   #86
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

The car thread
finally some test data on engine oil brands and their performance: MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA | 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:16 PM   #87
just another
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
I would have like to have seen how my oil faired (ELF excellium) but he hasn't tested it.

Just before Christmas I was out for a drive on a hot day (around 36deg c ) hadn't got very far and the car started to splutter a bit, and stalled at idle. After a short while I smelt the smell of burning bakelite. I headed home and after a little poking around thought that my Alternator may have fried.

I charged the battery and went to an autoelec. He said it was charging but something was wrong, there was a voltage drop from alternator to battery and even the voltage at the alternator was low (around 13V). As the burning smell had stopped and it was charging he said provided it stayed that way it would be ok for me to drive, as the chances he could fix it before new year were low.

After Christmas I decided to take a look at what was causing the voltage drop.

I took off all of the battery connections and cleaned them with a wire brush, also took off at the alternator end and did the same. Put it back together and I was getting 13.3V at the battery with no load. Which is better than I was getting before (about 12.8V)

However there was still a drop of around 0.5V unloaded from Alternator to the battery and around 0.9V when fully loaded (everything electrical turned on).

I realised that the size of the wire on the alternator didn't match the size on the battery, and figured they alternator wire must have been running to the starter motor. So off came the inlet manifold to get to the starter (not a small job).

The alternator cable was unfortunately crimped into the main starter cable on the same eye connector, not with it's own eye. So I went to Jaycar, got some 8ga wire and some heavy duty eye connectors and made up a short (probably about 300mm) auxilary cable from the alternator to the starter motor.

What a difference!

Now at idle (unloaded) I'm getting 13.9V at the battery and 0.01V drop from alternator to battery.

Fully loaded I'm getting around 12.9V at the battery and about 0.15V drop alternator to battery. That is a substantial improvement!

Attached are picks of my fancy new alternator cable. Do you think the OFC wire will improve my stock sound system

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-31 20.10.53.jpg (770.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-31 20.13.23.jpg (365.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:20 PM   #88
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
finally some test data on engine oil brands and their performance: MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA | 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths
Thanks for that.. Interesting blog.. Shame that the oil brands tested are mostly North American, though of course highly understandable. And, a little surprising to see the total lac of SI units used! Again, I guess no surprise....
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 4th January 2018, 08:43 AM   #89
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Something about that page reminds me of certain mental states with symptoms of grandiose ideation. Perhaps just simple mania.

Something like Gene Ray's Time Cube, but slightly less nutters.
Time Cube
Old 4th January 2018, 10:11 AM   #90
just another
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
^ Yes the rant at the beginning doesn't do him any favours!

Tony.

The car threadHide this!Advertise here!