Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Dude111 is offline Dude111
diyAudio Member

I last repaired one of my 8 track tapes

I got volume 2 of "1950s rock and roll collection" and the pad was no good so I went out to find a good pad...... I found one and last night I went about fixing it....

When I opened the cartridge the tape came off the spool a little and I thought I lost the tape but I managed to get it wound back on the spool and into the cartridge and she plays fine

Now to get volume 3 of this amazing set.... Its a 4 record set,3 8 track set (Im not sure how many cassettes or CDs in the set)
Old 21st October 2017, 12:59 AM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Non-Audio.....

Ryobi ships chain-saws with the bar sticking out of the box. Shockingly, it got bent in shipping, about 9 degrees or tip about 1.5" off from straight. Chain did not like the bend, it bound. When slacked, it skipped out of the groove.

I pitched a complaint and they are sending another (the same way??). But meantime I put it on my bench with pads, pipes, clamps, and got it down to a small S bend, enough to get some work done. I expect the chain and bar will wear quickly.

It's Ryobi-fix week here. I have two yard-sale Ryobi reciprocating saws, useful things. But the first one had a shattered case bound with duct-tape. The second had a horribly worn front guide.

The front guide is *apparently* readily available, so I put one in the e-cart. I saw that the price of a whole (?) new body for the other was very reasonable, so I e-carted that also.

Turns out the front bushing was NOT the right part, and the fault is in Ryobi's documentation so I could not blame the vendor. I went to swap the back bushing to the front, and Ryobi made it just enough different it won't go. I made it go but it is not a prime saw.

I figured a case swap would be easier. I got it apart, 15 screws, noted the motor pads were not included and swapped them over, went all together again. Last step is to put the Allen wrench in its holder... would not hold! Squinted at the old housing: there was a small clear bit of soft plastic to grip the wrench. All 15 screws out again, try not to lose any parts while I slipped the bit in place. That saw is now like-new.

Last edited by PRR; 21st October 2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 21st October 2017, 02:01 AM   #3
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

My wife's shoes. Methyl hydrate to clean and a hot glue gun saved me $100.
Old 21st October 2017, 02:50 AM   #4
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

I finally put an extra spacer on the free hub on my CAAD 10. Tired of listening to the cassette rattle. That and put a new tire on the same wheel - I've been running with a dollar bill for a boot in the old tire (with a cut in it) for about 2 months.
Old 21st October 2017, 03:16 AM   #5
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had a new power amp module not work.
As I probed around the circuit it burst into life.
I had missed a soldered joint completely.
The resistor leg was waggling around inside the pcb hole.
Red face, soldered it and been fine since.

Previous to that had a new build valve amp output valve red plate.
Had completely missed fitting a grid stopper resistor on that valve.

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 21st October 2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:48 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

LED bike light. The cable from the battery pack needed splicing again, thanks to unusually brittle insulation on the inner wires. I'm going to replace it next time with the cable from an IBM ThinkPad charger, which is heavier gauge and more flexible.
Old 21st October 2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A ' faulty ' sold as seen Pioneer 6 disc multi cd player .
Guy in the junk shop said it turns on but won't load discs , paid GBP 2.50 and when i got it home and removed the cartridge there was a cd in one of the slots label side up.
I flipped the cd over loaded 5 more and turned on , works perfectly.
Easiest ' repair ' ever and looking at ebay etc they sell for around GBP 180 - 200 so a pretty good investment.
Old 21st October 2017, 10:08 AM   #8
tikiroo is offline tikiroo  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

An Eico 377 Audio signal generator. Found it in my grandmothers garage last week, my grandfather would have bought it in the fifties, and last used it about 1970 before I was born. No output on start-up. One of those horrible waxed paper capacitors turned out to be leaky. Replaced with a high voltage polypropylene, now as good as new.
Old 21st October 2017, 02:17 PM   #9
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Non-audio, a very bright LED worklight. Found at scrapyard, broken power switch. Replaced switch w/ one from other salvaged e-scrap item.
Old 21st October 2017, 02:20 PM   #10
kaputt is offline kaputt  Germany
diyAudio Member

My espresso machine. A teflon pipe developed a small hole and got replaced by copper.
Still working on repairing my marriage...

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!