Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
What did you last repair??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2017, 01:33 PM   #11
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

This
Old 21st October 2017, 01:50 PM   #12
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

My Fritzbox 7270 was stuck in a permanent reboot loop, ending with all LEDs flashing each time. Accordingly, the scope indicated a periodic supply voltage dip at the 13V input.
The reason was a totally deaf 330uF/16V cap inside the AC-Adapter made by Friwo/Germany. So I replaced it by some 2x100uF/25V polymer and everything is fine since.
Old 21st October 2017, 02:40 PM   #13
scott17 is offline scott17
diyAudio Member

A friends computer would shut down after 10 - 20 minutes. Heat sink had separated from the processor. Fresh silicon grease, new heat sink, easy.
Old 23rd October 2017, 03:28 AM   #14
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Neighbor brought home a DR trimmer, similar to this except in worse shape with the older engine. Probably made 1985.

Clutch was tied with a rag. Wrong belt. No rotor brake. Deadman bar was clearly wrong and a dubious hack.

It would start, but really didn't want to. Didn't run right either.

Really filthy. Took everything off the frame. Got to use my pressure washer, twice.

New starter clutch. New belt. New belt clutch springs. Adjust belt clutch mechanism. Clean belt clutch latch. Bent new deadman bar from brake line (DR wants too much for the part). New air cleaner (whole thing, can't buy that filter alone). New carburetor. New spark plug. Another new starter clutch (sad tale). New string. And different new string on order.

Arguably I am over half the cost of a new warranted trimmer with perhaps better features. Ah, but my neighbor let it to me free, and what can be better than free??

Now it starts every time with 1-1/2 yanks, and runs well. Really too much power (3.75HP!) for a string trimmer. Too easy to wrap the string around a woody weed and lose the string. New string and some technique refinement may help.

I have about an acre of 'weeds' that want clearing. I say weeds but some of it is Lupines, a very pretty spring roadside flower. However they are grown so close to the road that we can't see out from the side street to the busy main road. I have to cut them back for sight-line. I did some with a battery weed wacker but that was heavy work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summer_lupines.jpg (133.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by PRR; 23rd October 2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:15 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

tried repairing my marriage - but outside influences keep getting in the way
Old 27th October 2017, 06:25 PM   #16
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
tried repairing my marriage - but outside influences keep getting in the way
Women are too high maintenance.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:37 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I hate to generalize, but I think that's only when we don't listen / can't read their minds - they on the other hand can generally intuit what we're thinking
Old 27th October 2017, 06:38 PM   #18
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I like women, the problems only seem to start when you want one of your own
Old 27th October 2017, 06:41 PM   #19
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I hate to generalize, but I think that's only when we don't listen / can't read their minds - they on the other hand can generally intuit what we're thinking
Some women are very open about how they feel and that is good.
My ex wife kept her thoughts very much to herself and so was much harder to fathom out.
Going through the change, getting older and becoming fat destroyed her self esteem. This caused her to become very vulnerable to attention from other men and that's what destroyed the marriage.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:45 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

it could be the "of your own" - which implies ownership- that could be the genesis of the problems? I'd prefer to think "to share my interests and joys, in spite of my sundry and easily identified flaws" . I was blessed that it seemed to work for at least the first 25 yrs, but life is longer than that.

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!