Professional career - US vs. Canada vs. Australia - what would you do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am currently getting my masters in mechanical engineering in Germany and want to write my master thesis abroad, preferably in an English speaking country. Since I am seriously considering to move to either country after I have written my thesis, I am not taking this decision lightly. I am currently undecided between the US, Canada and Australia. What is important to me is the climate, it shouldn't be too cold/hot and I would like to live near a salt lake or the ocean (salty air).

My impressions so far:

US (only CA seems liberal enough for me): +welcoming atmosphere (at least in CA), + engineers seem to be able to get work, - gun violence, - health care/social system, - very hot (I don't mind the sun, but I don't like being cooked without AC)

Canada: + welcoming atmosphere, +mild climate, + health care, + less/no gun violence

Australia: + welcoming atmosphere, - very hot, - water supply seems to get less every year,

Since a lot of you are from the countries in question I would like to hear your opinion on the matter (in regard to health care, the climate and economical futre-proof - the last word seems wrong, but I don't know how else to express it) :)

If any one of you happens to know an engineering firm that is looking for a student who wants to write his master thesis on either mechanical design or FEM please let me know :wave:

Greetings,

Michael

Australia is a big place, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a location with a climate to suit your needs. The issue is finding a location that fits career and climate. Sydney and Melbourne do have a few hot days a year but it isn't too bad if you choose your house well to avoid afternoon sun on living areas especially.

I was born ~1500km north of Sydney, and currently live in Brisbane that is about 1000km from Syd (a lot of people underestimate the size of the country).

I have worked with people who have recently migrated from UK and Germany. The biggest challenge (in Brisbane) is that the humidity and heat in the first summer is a big adjustment. One bloke, from northern England particularly struggled with the heat in the Brisbane CBD and lunch in summer. So I'm under no illusions, the acclimatisation is a challenge. He's been here 10years now, so it obviously hasn't scared him off!

To another of the points you mentioned about USA/Canada ... Gun crime is also largely a non-issue in Australia.

In terms of careers, could you elaborate on what industries you have in mind longer term. Some areas are relatively secure financially in Australia, other industries aren't so much. Like many governments around the world at the moment there is some very conservative groups getting an opportunity to be vocal about often what I see as baseless fear campaigns. Australia is embarrassingly behind on many climate change actions and this is largely down to a lack of political stability around those policies (we'd call it bipartisan support ( I'm not sure how well that translates to German though?).

Hi,

thanks for the answer :)

How would you describe your social system/health care?

In regard to the industry: I am currently working (intern) in the automotive industry but I am flexible (Automotive, machines of all kind, stuff like that).

At the moment my area of expertise is 3D design, but like I said FEM would also be of interest (and FEM is used in a lot of areas). My university gave/is giving me a lot of knowledge but (so I am flexible) but of course I lack the experience.

Greetings,

Michael

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Social/Health care in Australia is pretty good. Though you need to be a permanent resident / citizen to qualify.

The public health system is completely free, although you may have to wait a long time for treatment, for non life threatening things. The private health system sucks. There are huge (monetary) gaps, and you cannot get insurance to cover them. If the gov sets the standard fee for a service such as anesthesia at $500, but your private health provider charges $1500, then the government health care will pay 85% of the $500 ie $425 and your private health insurance will pay $75. That's right, you pay the other $1000! The private health only covers the %15 of the schedule fee that the medicare doesn't.

Superannuation/pensions is an area where Australia is way behind Germany or other European nations. 9.5% of your salary goes into compulsory superannuation. You can choose to add more, but that's all that is compulsory. It is said you need to be putting 15% away for pretty much all of your working life, for it to be enough to live comfortably on (assuming you have no other investments).

Australia has been losing manufacturers for years, Ford, Holden (GMH) and Toyota have withdrawn from manufacturing in Aus. Mitsubishi did quite a few years ago.

I used to work in the Railway industry, we had engineers designing locomotives and passenger cars using FEM. I'm not sure how much design work is still done here, with manufacturing offshored. Australia does have a history of innovation, but all too often getting support for turning that into industry results in the ideas being sold to overseas countries. I believe personally that Australia needs to do more manufacturing, but it does not seem that the economic climate is geared for it to happen. We have become a nation which is too heavily dependent on others for my liking.

I live in Sydney, and I would say the climate is pretty mild. A cold winter would see occasional frosts, and I hardly ever see a temp below about 9 deg C by 7:30AM.

Autumn and spring the weather is beautiful. Summer we do get some hot days, high 30's and even occasional 40's. Usually a cool change will come though in the evening, but not always (it can still be 35 deg at Midnight!). According to a few sites Sydney average summer temperature is 26 deg C.

I've not been to the US or Canada, but I'd say do careful research about the employment prospects for your chosen area in each of the countries. Australia does have a skilled workers immigration program, but I'm not sure which skills they are currently looking for (used to be primarily accounting and IT) if your chosen profession is or is not on the list then this would be a make or break item I would think.

Tony.

Last edited:
The UN releases a list of the best places to live taking everything into account: Climate, social mobility, career prospects, health care and so on.

For the last 12 years Norway came out on top but Australia is the perennial second.
This year Canada is tied for 8th with New Zealand.

Some 20 years ago when my sister moved to Australia I had a look at their immigration visa form. You got points removed if you intended to live in Sydney and some added if you chose anything other than a city. At the time they did not want medical personnel so if you were a doctor or nurse you had to half your points total.

As a mechanical engineer your best bet is probably Western Australia, they do a lot of industrial digging there.
My niece works for Schlumberger in Perth and she seems quite happy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Massachusetts would be the one place on the East Coast of the U.S. you might consider. About as liberal as California, and we do have a lot of sea coast. The climate might be a problem at least in the winter.

Boston is a vibrant, rapidly growing city. We have extensive if problematic mass transit. (Substantial investments are being made, but it will be a few years before it is sorted out)

MA probably has the strictest gun control in the country since the issue was mentioned.

Countless universities, GE is based here. Lots of R&D is done in Boston and the surrounding areas. Lots of employers in high tech.

The health care system here is excellent, but our dependence on employers for affordable health insurance is something you will find disconcerting coming from Germany. (This is true anywhere in the U.S.)

Lots of microbreweries = mostly good beer.

Both Australia and Canada also offer excellent opportunity, and things like single payer health care that we don't.

If you're accustomed to European / Social Democratic countries as far as healthcare provision and social safety-net then yes, the US will likely come as something of a shock. On an individual level, I would do serious investigation before moving to the US with a pre-existing or chronic health condition (but that probably applies to other countries on your list too, at least until you qualify as a resident / citizen - the difference in the US is that it could continue to be a problem long after that).

I am a little surprised to see "gun crime" as a "top three" consideration. Obviously mass shootings are tragedies that receive a tremendous amount of media attention but you are extremely unlikely to be caught up in one. The same goes for "ordinary" gun crime in most parts of the country, and even many parts of cities that record very high gun crime rates.

If you fully assimilate in the US, the diet is rather more likely to kill you, statistically speaking...

many years ago a co-worker went on a company paid course in the USA. She met a man fell in love got married and moved from Canada to Atlanta, USA. She worked for a large multinational corporation and could not afford to go to an obstetrician more than once when she got pregnant.

She didnt like living in a home with bars on the doors and windows and she didnt like not feeling safe going out at night. After a few years in the USA, she divorced and moved back to Canada. The health care system in the USA is the best in the world if you can pay for it.

I have 2 different types of cancer. The most I spent on treatments was the parking lot fees visiting doctors and hospitals.

With the government pension and company pension and my investments I now earn more than when I was working. When I was working 16 years ago my salary was $60k

I was a service technician for a large multinational.

Housing can be very expensive or very affordable depending on the area in Canada you decide to live in. An average single family home can be anywhere from $200K to $1,000,000.

My son lives in Kitchner, Ontario he has a 1100 sq ft (100sq meter) apartment. Heat, hydo and parking included cost him $1100 a month. My daughter lives in Ottawa and her 500 sq ft (50 sq meter) apartment costs the same as my sons.

Oh yeah we have speed limits on the highways. 100k to 110kph

Gun crime in the US is a non issue for professional, middle class types. Healthcare is covered well ONLY if you get it with your job - and most professionals will. Much of USA is too hot or too cold. Best quality of life is usually quoted in the Carolinas, areas around Raleigh are good - and great coastline nearby. As someone else has said, eating a good diet is hard. Many aspects of living are relatively cheap though - food, cars, fuel, travel, beer, property outside of major urban areas looks very cheap.

Canada is very civilised, just about everywhere. The best coast is west - but getting stupid expensive. Great lakes has good inland coast - Toronto as high quality of life - but a lot of the centre of the city is underground to avoid winter cold.

Australia can be great - but it is a terrifically long way from the rest the world. That can be good or bad. The male and beer dominated lifestyle is still prevalent - many wives and girlfriends who emigrate there end up regretting it and coming back. It is crazy expensive for everything.

Since a lot of you are from the countries in question I would like to hear your opinion on the matter (in regard to health care, the climate and economical futre-proof - the last word seems wrong, but I don't know how else to express it) :)

If any one of you happens to know an engineering firm that is looking for a student who wants to write his master thesis on either mechanical design or FEM please let me know

Just thought I would drop a note, if only because I am a Canadian engineer.

Some of the biases in previous posts have given me a chuckle, but of course if we didn't see our home in a positive light we wouldn't live there, would we? :D

I'm no expert, but even finding what you are looking for, getting your degree at a German university but finding a corporate sponsor to do your thesis abroad, doesn't work on practical terms for the countries you mentioned. At least in Canada I have never heard of a corporate sponsor dealing directly with a student and not the university. You will want to come on a student visa, and only an educational institution can do the paperwork for that.

However, you didn't really ask that, you asked about health care, climate, and economic growth. I think the 3 countries will score very similarly on those 3, at least in what you are asking for. I actually think it is more important to choose a best location within those 3 countries. For example, in Canada, for a student, I think it might be wiser to target a city like Vancouver or Toronto. They might score poorly in cost of living, but that won't affect you as much being a student, and when you are working you can better deal with the issue.

Excellent data shown above, thanks.
Just curious: what about staying in Germany?
Can´t imagine a better Country in the whole World strictly from an Industrial/Career/**Health**/Safety viewpoint.
And given the Asian onslaught on Industry all over the place, losing major car industries was mentioned for Australia, but also applies to USA and I guess Canada too, while Germany can hold its own, not based on throat cutting price competition but on sheer product quality.

I have worked in Atlanta several times and so have many co-workers. We have no fear of going out at night. Although there are areas of every major city in the USA where I would not go at night, as I understand it there are such areas in major cities in other countries as well.

I grew up in Miami Florida. I was robbed at gunpoint in 1970 at age 17. It hasn't gotten any better.

I moved to a suburb west of Ft. Lauderdale in 1973 and it was OK, but started changing as my 41 year career was winding down. I would hear gunshots from somewhere in the neighborhood almost weekly and houses were getting burglarized often. This could apply to some areas in any big city. Any area where there are large economic gaps between groups of people will breed crime. Avoid living near either extremes.

I packed up and moved to the middle of nowhere. Gunshots, yes we hear them often here, but the guns are not pointed at people. The major crimes here are related to illegal drugs.

OMG, Florida. Florida is... Florida. Went to DisneyWorld last year and there was a giant billboard about a mile or so from the entrance of a brunette with big boobs and a chain of ammo wrapped around her with a sign beneath that said: Machine Gun America.

As for the OP: I say Canada. Just bein' real.

Gun crime in the US is a non issue for professional, middle class types.

Sorry but this is a silly statement, maybe even a dangerously misleading one. I live in the Midwest, surrounded by 'professional, middle class types'. They are at risk, too. Some guy in the suburbs near me took out his whole family and himself, too. His house cost more than I'll afford any time soon.

Not making a stance for or against, I just think that was a misleading comment.

You will have a difficult time emigrating to Canada, at least without some serious planning.

Immigration is based on a "points system"; having a degree will work in your favour. However apply early in the year, as space from each country is limited and on a first-come-first-served basis.* New Year's Day is hardly too early, and hardly guaranteed of making the cutoff. Current processing time is 12 months, and that's only to view your application for the first time.

Temporary work permits might be easier, but whomever hires you has to prove they tried honestly to hire a Canadian for the position and failed.

Academic Visas are much easier ... get enrolled and that's about it, although again don't wait till the last minute regardless of how you want to enter. You cannot work on a Student Visa (and will be deported if they catch you working) but scholarships and bursaries are available. Getting academic awards should be considered your top priority. You can search and apply from Germany. Tuition for foreign students is typically 200% of tuition for Canadian students, but tuition is still low by North American standards (and Quebec has the lowest tuition costs in Canada). At my local University it's $C 10,000 /$US 8,000 /year for Foreign students registered full time.

Where you go to school is more about what is offered, who the faculty are, and the resources in your field. For example our U has the only particle beam accelerator in Canada. Others may have other advantages. I would not simply look to Toronto or Vancouver; it's approaching the problem backwards.

After you graduate from a program in Canada you will have better opportunities to stay, such as applying for Permanent Resident status (which is distinct from Citizenship) and will allow you to look for and accept employment.

* Canada accepts about 1,250 immigrants from Germany per year. When some people claimed that "if Trump wins I will move to Canada" ... well, the quota for US residents that year had been filled in February, 9 months before the election. Oh, and there's the roughly $C 5~10,000 in fees and lawyer bills; fees are non-refundable.

Last edited:
Oh, and there's the roughly $C 5~10,000 in fees and lawyer bills; fees are non-refundable.

I believe that part is misleading. Visa fees are relatively low, and the system is designed to be navigated without a lawyer. I think the only visa where it may be wise to get a lawyer is the entrepreneurship visa, although this may be because those applicants are wealthy enough that this is how they handle their affairs normally.

Just thought I would drop a note, if only because I am a Canadian engineer.
{snip}
I'm no expert, but even finding what you are looking for, getting your degree at a German university but finding a corporate sponsor to do your thesis abroad, doesn't work on practical terms for the countries you mentioned. At least in Canada I have never heard of a corporate sponsor dealing directly with a student and not the university.
{snip}

Probably illegal, may be construed as employment, might result in his deportation as you can't work on a student visa.

Any reason why you would not want to study in Europe? Much better Academic Support (cost of education) there than in North America or Oz for foreign students, if you want to leave Germany for some reason.

Personally, I can't think of any place I would rather live, but I'm not in any of the most populated provinces in Canada. I've worked and lived in the US, been to perhaps 30 states. I am essentially guaranteed US Citizenship (my father was born in MN) but never wanted to apply. From superbly tasting water from the municipal tap to a low Cost Of Living to fantastic outdoor opportunities, I feel lucky to have lived where I do. YMMV

We meet lost of Australians here and a few people I know have emigrated to Oz, and one to New Zealand (which is really hard to pull off). If you're 25 or under Canadians and Australians can pretty much travel to each other's country without restriction on extended work/tourist visas. All the Aussies work the ski slopes in Alberta and BC. But just Australia and Canada, nobody else has this special arrangement.

The people are great (as are pretty much most Americans, I should add) and if you choose to live in the city, it's as modern as any other. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't hit the highway every once in a while and explore your local surroundings, it doesn't matter where you live. I'm sure New York is a great city (in fact I know it is) but if you've never left NY your whole life, you don't truly know what it's like to have experienced America.

The same would go for any big city. They are all different, but they are all the same.

Last edited:
Sorry but this is a silly statement, maybe even a dangerously misleading one. I live in the Midwest, surrounded by 'professional, middle class types'. They are at risk, too. Some guy in the suburbs near me took out his whole family and himself, too. His house cost more than I'll afford any time soon.

Not making a stance for or against, I just think that was a misleading comment.
You're right that murder-suicides by gun (and domestic violence in general) know no class boundaries. But I suspect the OP is more worried about becoming the victim of a crime perpetrated by a stranger. Robbery at gunpoint, home invasion etc, which media coverage likely makes seem more prevalent than it is. And that really is very locale dependent.

I live in the Midwest too; a suburban Chicago town, not especially wealthy (mostly blue-collar). Gun crime is a concern to me in terms of the state of our society and the fate of my fellow citizens, but it is of no concern to me on a daily personal safety basis. Reported violent crime of all types for my town in the last year for which stats are available was zero.

FWIW, I'm also a European immigrant, and I am far more afraid of drunk drivers than guns. I love living here, but one thing that shocked me when I arrived was the relative social acceptance of driving after "several" drinks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.