Who killed Mr. fixit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made the mistake of buying a brand new Hyundai, thinking that if I keep up the maintenance that I'd get reasonable service out of it. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Vehicle had several major repairs under warranty, including new shortblock (at 7K miles! what a turd), new front control arms (one broke while I was driving! what a turd), and new front subframe (rusted right out from underneath the car! what a turd). All this on a car less than 5 years old and less than 40,000 miles! The deal breaker was when the tranny took a dump (less than 40,000 miles! what a turd) and the dealer stuck it up MY ***. I dumped the car for $1000; less than 5 years old, less than 40,000 miles, looked showroom fresh, not a scratch or ding, interior immaculate.

I never thought that every major assembly on a car could take a dump in 40,000 miles of service, but then I never drove a Hyundai before. Did I mention that Hyundais are turds?

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE HYUNDAIS.

Accident. We thought it was "minor" see the picture. However, under the plastic, apparently there was quite a bit of damage, including the water pump, to the tune of $10,000 body work and parts. Insurance says the head gasket came days after the accident, so was not caused by the accident (thank you State Farm). Hyundai points to the damage on the water pump and says, "caused by the accident, not defect", and leaves me holding a pretty car I can't drive, or paying for engine work. Dealer wants $8,000 for a long block. I think I can get the head gasket fixed for around $1,500 or so.
dp-car-damaged-1024x768.jpg

Accident. We thought it was "minor" see the picture. However, under the plastic, apparently there was quite a bit of damage, including the water pump, to the tune of $10,000 body work and parts. Insurance says the head gasket came days after the accident, so was not caused by the accident (thank you State Farm). Hyundai points to the damage on the water pump and says, "caused by the accident, not defect", and leaves me holding a pretty car I can't drive, or paying for engine work. Dealer wants $8,000 for a long block. I think I can get the head gasket fixed for around $1,500 or so.
dp-car-damaged-1024x768.jpg

Fix it and dump it before the frame breaks or the tranny goes out. Make sure you can get your $1500 out of it.

If it's a 4 cylinder then the gasket should be child's play to change. It will cost a few hundred in parts, tops.

Don't sell it to anyone you know.

Last edited:
I dumped my Hyundai right after putting $600 worth of Yokohama tires on it. Was I pissed.

I bought a 2000 Subaru Legacy wagon with 89,000 miles on it. It had obviously been used as a work car, with grease stains in the back, interior was busted up in back, roof rack had deep scuff marks. I beat the guy down to $8500 and paid cash. Shortly thereafter I did the 105,000 mile service on it, and also replaced the water pump, timing belt tensioner, and timing belt pulleys. $600 worth of parts and about 10 hours labor (I did it all of course). I also ended up replacing the head gaskets (common on Subaru boxer engines) which only cost a couple hundred bucks but was a lot of work doing it with the engine in the car.

Was it worth it? Sure was! This is one tough car. You could drive it through Armegeddon and back no problem. It goes right through snow higher than the hood. I look forward to inclement weather now! You never get stuck. Drives fine with 5 adult passengers (that was a Bozo no-no with the Hyundai; the exhaust would scrape). Still runs perfect with 140,000 miles. I recently replaced front wheel bearings and ball joints. Less than $200 and child's play.

Fix a Hyundai and you still have worthless junk. Fix a quality car (Subaru, Toyota, etc) and you have a nice, practical vehicle.

I guess I should recuse myself about the white Hyundai as pictured here, the particular dealership I was employed for 14 years, the brand, Honda. The Hyundai make, two years at a competing dealership...& yes, I could tell you a pair of "interesting" corporate & engineering stories...that would give you the "I knew it!" responses. Some what similar to the "Ford knew about the exploding fuel-tanks, but instead of redesigning, decided to absorb the lawsuit costs".

Sorry, mums the word.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Of course they knew! They had "secret recalls" for the control arms and front subframe. I received recall notices for both three years after I dumped the car.

I noticed the subframe rusting just a few months after I got the car. I was changing the oil and I was appalled at how corroded it was. The car hadn't even been on the road during winter weather yet, and it was garage kept to boot. It was even parked inside a fancy climate controlled garage when I was at work.

The control arms failed from rust too. One broke right in the middle. The ball joint did not separate. I looked at the other control arm and you could have broken it in two with a fart. Was I pissed! I had the car towed to the dealership and told them to either fix it or stick it up their ***. It was less than four years old! I could have been killed driving it!

This means that they use the cheapest, weakest, most contaminated steel they can find to build their shitty cars. Have they addressed this issue? Who cares? They placed the public in mortal danger to save a buck. They can kiss the fattest part of my ***.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.