Who killed Mr. fixit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
A relevant article though, and a good point. The info to repair everything should be available, as should parts at a reasonable price, not **** off margins.
I find some main auto dealers, for example, show willing to discount to get closer to 3rd party equivalent parts, and offer a better warranty. But you have to lean hard on them to get that...

I have an old intel Imac 24"- the last of the breed that can be at least opened even if's akward using suction cups. ( & I did it thanks to Ifixit tutorials). I got really disgusted to see the PSU is "cooled" by the hot air coming from the cpu...There is enough space they could have located the psu out of that hot air stream, it's obvious it's a deliberate choice. Considering all newer mac are almost impossible to open let alone to fix, It's going to be my last one.

Modern stuff is designed to be disposable. It's the antitheses of 1950s era consumer products that were designed to last 100 years and be easily repairable. Too bad that stuff is so ugly.

Cars are difficult to work on without training, special knowledge, special tools, etc. My buddy was disgusted fixing the electronic stuff on his Jeep (we did eventually) and said that he wanted to get something like a 1967 Ford Galaxie, which he says he could easily keep running forever. And he's right; you could train a chimp to take it apart and put it back together and it would still run.

I fix a lot of stuff - not just electronics but cars, lawn mowers, house wiring, you name it. It is a pleasure for me to take an old piece of audio equipment and restore its function. That's partly because it's so straighforward and the old stuff is built by hand - which means you can fix it by hand. I shudder at the innards of that iPhone- I can hardly imagine fixing it. I repaired one laptop and I was afraid the whole time that I was going to ruin it because it was so damn hard to solder those tiny parts. I'll never do it again either.

They don't want you messing with their products. They just want to sell you stuff. My Subaru had a (common) transmission problem. I went to the dealer to buy a solenoid and some o-rings. They said they never fix the inside of a transmission - swaps only. They said once you open that transmission you're basically forked. I begged to differ. I got a solenoid at the salvage yard and matched up the orings at the auto shop and fixed it in my driveway. I rebuilt transmissions and valve bodies before and this was a simple, straighforward repair for me.

I don't like owning anything I can't fix myself. That includes my house and my cars.

OTOH, who among us isn't attracted to the level of performance - in the automotive realm, think fuel economy and HP - that the more technologically complicated products towards which much whinging is directed. What would be the MPG and emission figures be on that '67 Galaxie?

As an ex-solder jockey, I can say that it does wear thin, fixing other people's broken stuff in the modern world. In the high-end repair market you're faced with almost complete re-design because of original device obsolescence. Far as taking care of yourself, warranties guarantee that you can't modify anything for maximum performance (per individual application, of course) until most of the product is worn out. If you're a maverick at heart of course none of this applies to you. The guys I know that are still slugging it out in repair and reasonably happy about it take weeks to work on one unit. Of course that severely limits them to a certain kind of customer.

What would be the MPG and emission figures be on that '67 Galaxie?

Terrible. I don't think it would be a practical car for many reasons.

Plus he says he doesn't care about mileage. I certainly do.

OTOH, who among us isn't attracted to the level of performance - in the automotive realm, think fuel economy and HP - that the more technologically complicated products towards which much whinging is directed.

I know how to fix a lot of newer cars, electronics and all. I drive an older Subaru and fix everything myself. I see a lot of people learning how to fix newer cars themselves. There's a lot of resources if you're motivated. In fact my buddy, who isn't electrically inclined, watched a youtube video on how to fix an ABS control module, bought a soldering iron at Auto Zone, and fixed it.

He says he wants a 1967 Galaxie, but he just bought a brand new Jeep. Go figure.

Unfortunately, most auto "mechanics" today are not trained to really fix anything. What they are trained to do is to hook up the diagnostic computer, and see what part should be replaced. Often, that part is an assembly of many parts, most of which are fine.

My 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has a blown head gasket. The dealer wants $8000 to replace the engine.... yeah, it has 14000 miles on it.
Manufacturer says "not under warranty". Insurance says, "not covered".

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's when you go to a real mechanic and forget about the dealer. Then write a complaint letter to Hyundai about the costs you incurred to a low mileage engine. Document everything, be polite but firm. Let them know you sent copies to Consumer Reports and JD Power. They read those letters and the ratings are important to them - I know, I used to work their meetings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.