Some versions of CCleaner have been loaded with malware.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If any of you guys use CCleaner on your PC's then a major security risk has been identified. Although 32 bit systems only were mentioned, I've seen malware scan reports of 64 bit machines with the malware installed.

Hackers compromised free CCleaner software, Avast's Piriform says

Hackers hid malware in CCleaner PC tool for nearly a month | ZDNet

Cisco's Talos Intelligence Group Blog: CCleanup: A Vast Number of Machines at Risk

Worth doing a full malware scan if you use it. I gave up on 3rd party tweaky stuff years ago as I found it never really did anything you couldn't do under Windows anyway but I know how popular this stuff is.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I don't know, I think they have all the info they need already ;)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd ordinarily see this genre as bottom feeder software, considering the way windows is constructed by evolution (avoiding non compatible scratch builds when preferable).

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I noticed also that with the solitaire version with windows 10 they show you full screen size ads when you start the program now.

I thought that when you bought windows 10 you also had solitaire bundled in with the price for free. not anymore.

To make things worse every program is now tied in with the microsoft store.

I could've sworn that I was a citizen not a consumer.

Think I'll go cry in my beer and watch Micro Live on youtube, then dream of the old days. YouTube

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The old Vista/W7 games still run under W10.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 138
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'll drink to that. Thanks for the memories and don't lose that W7 DVD ;)

The best way to handle it is to simply modify Windows 10 by using a tool called: NTLite

That way you don't lose the technical advances of the core components of windows 10 but you also don't gain the spyware.

Just take it easy with ntlite and do tons of beta tests with writing the isos to usb flash drive before you finally settle on a version that you like. It can be very easy to disable core components which will disable stuff that you will need.

Avast and Piriform have both confirmed that the Windows 32-bit version of CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 were affected by the malware.

It was only those 32bit versions of CCleaner & CCleaner Cloud that were compromised. CCleaner comes in 32bit and 64bit versions, either will run on a windows computer.Mind you I don't know much about Win8 and Win10 and I stopped at Win7.

To harden ya' Windows computers up in regards to hacking I suggest installing Microsoft EMET, it is small, free and non intrusive. Used in corporate environments but nothing to stop using it on a computer in a domestic environment, it sees things just the same either way and i have been using it along with Avast and Malwarebytes as a low cost combination. I use the paid version of Malewarebytes as It's worth it for the extra functionality.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2458544/the-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit

I noticed also that with the solitaire version with windows 10 they show you full screen size ads when you start the program now.

I thought that when you bought windows 10 you also had solitaire bundled in with the price for free. not anymore.

To make things worse every program is now tied in with the microsoft store.

I could've sworn that I was a citizen not a consumer.

Think I'll go cry in my beer and watch Micro Live on youtube, then dream of the old days. YouTube

You can always depend on a pack of playing cards to NEVER display ads!

Things are getting worse with stuff downloaded on the back of free software.
Sometimes it can be 2 or 3 other items downloaded with what I want.

Then there are also numerous downloads with viruses in them.

Thank goodness for Norton !

I try to get software from the original vendors website than a secondary website. For example adobe reader, I only download from official adobe website.

Then when I try to sell software I have written which is virus free all the anti virus says it is suspect because it is new !

What a mess. I can see why Microsoft started doing limited apps that work into a sandbox.

SafeBrowse (plugin for Google Chrome) embeds a cryptocurrency miner (an app that uses CPU cycles ... YOUR CPU cycles ... to create money for someone else). Hackers replaced their modified version on the developer's website; in other words the "official" source.

The popular Android GO Keyboard app contains spyware that steals user information and sends it to servers in China; it has 200 million users.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.