Irma -- taking the toll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.54.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.54.50 AM.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 174
That is one nasty looking storm. I t looks like it could cover Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina at the same time.

Good luck Pano and Kevinkr.

My wife has family in Ft Lauderdale, and I have family in south GA and SC. It looks like lots of people are in the path.

I was told the winds have abated somewhat, but looking at the NHC 0400 release they are showing it still has sustained winds of 180 m/h.

Greets fellow Floridiots :D
KevinKR, I know that does not include you. I hope your folks will be safe. I feel sorry for them having to go to Augusta GA. I spent six months there (Ft. Gordon) and it is not the garden spot of the area :)
I live about an hour north of Tampa. We are going to get a wild ride this weekend :(
I am one of those who dropped his overpriced house insurance years ago. So far a good bet. Ask me in a week if I still feel that way. In better news my car is worth about $500 trade-in so I am not highly concerned.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/kevinkr.html

Charles, gpauk - at least those two weather apps don't currently show anything lined up immediately after Jose, which if it follows one of the the paths I saw predicted, will veer north easterly and not slam the Bahama's directly - but might bear down on Bermuda. If that happens, best wishes for my daughter and son in law, and Susan will have some gardening work cut out for her visit next month.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's funny to look at the local 10 day forecast here. Looks like a normal Florida summer, except for the 108 MPH winds out of the NNE Sunday morning and 100 MPH winds from the West on Sunday evening. Then back to normal.

Attachments

• weather.png
    weather.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 232
It's a bit hard to understand for us here in Scandinavia. Around 40 M/S are about the max here.
I can't even imagine the windspeed of 80 M/S...
I work as a Battallionchief (kind of) at Fire & Rescue, and I can see that they have lots of work ahead...

//Figge

Here's a few videos but really these don't do it justice:

YouTube

YouTube

Oh yeah... Wind drives the rain completely sideways!

LiveLeak.com - More Irma Footage - Wind and Rain

Palm trees are made to survive hurricanes but they even have their limits.

The scariest thing is that these things last for many hours!

Last edited:
After watching too much of Irmageddon on TV, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with this any more. After 61 years in south Florida, I left 3 years ago. This makes shoveling snow look easy.

Good luck and stay safe everybody.

And note that just because I have been seen powering up my pool pump with a pair of automotive jumper cables and a pair of cut up computer cords plugged into opposite phases on the generator doesn't make it a good idea. I didn't have the mating plug for the generator and I needed to make 240 volts. When you are without power for 22 days in south Florida, a working swimming pool is nice.

Last edited:
Believe it or not my wife called an agent Wed. and they would have still sold a policy but no time for an inspection.

My nephew worked for Progressive (you know, Flo!) and got a call for a guy looking for insurance -- the caller had been pulled over for a DUI and had no insurance!

There are folks in FLA looking to charter private jets to get out -- problem is that there isn't a whole lot of jet fuel available as everyone tanked up the outboards and got out of Dodge!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We expect flooding at our house. Maybe 2 or 3 feet, hoping for no more than that. We are stacking what we can up high - to keep it out of the water. We'll go look for shelter tomorrow if it looks bad for Sunday. Because of the canals and river around us, it will probably flood, but then drain off fast.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.