Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Irma -- taking the toll
Irma -- taking the toll
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2017, 01:41 PM   #121
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Irma -- taking the toll
Better than the other way round.

Glad you're home safe.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:48 PM   #122
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Irma -- taking the toll
Yes, better than the other way around and we are happy with the outcome. But I have truly mixed feelings about all the hype and the dire predictions. Not to mention the inflated coverage by everyone from the local news to national news to the BBC. They cherry pick what to show and what to report to make it seem as sensational as possible. I feel that's irresponsible.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:49 PM   #123
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what to report to make it seem as sensational as possible.
Unfortunately it's all about ratings (market share) which directly influences advertising revenue. I quit watching the "murder of the day show" (Miami news) several years before I left. There is virtually nothing on there I wanted top see, and it is all depressing.

CBS Miami had the best hurricane forecasting, but the guy who anchored that is now on the Weather Channel, which has become a sensationalist money machine for IBM. How many times do we need to see a guy standing in a storm with a microphone?

There are some areas in Florida that got trashed pretty bad, and much of that hasn't made the news. The lower keys, Marco Island, and some of Naples had heavy damage, but a lot of that is due to poor construction. There are reports of extensive damage in the older areas of St. Augustine, but I have not seen any evidence of that or talked to anyone who has been there.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:10 PM   #124
diyAudio Moderator

Irma -- taking the toll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
How many times do we need to see a guy standing in a storm with a microphone?
Apparently as many as possible. Some even tethered to building so as to not be "blow away". Oh yeah, what about the camera and cameraman? Jeez.

I have been an eye witness to too many events that made the news over the past 50 years. What I see on the news looks very little like what I saw in person. Is what the media show real? Yes? It is a cherry picked worst example they can find? You betcha.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:27 PM   #125
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Irma -- taking the toll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
But I have truly mixed feelings about all the hype and the dire predictions. Not to mention the inflated coverage by everyone from the local news to national news to the BBC.
This has become standard practice, you probably missed the one or two Nor'easters that dominated our local news and turned out to be little and in one case almost nothing. Every one becomes the Blizzard of '78.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:52 PM   #126
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Irma -- taking the toll
The race against mosquito's is on!

I can remember the quite bland late evening news coverage when I was a kid. Here's how Dan Rather changed it and got his first big break in broadcasting -- coverage of Huricane Carla in 1961:
YouTube

New invention, weather radar!
Old 13th September 2017, 04:17 PM   #127
diyAudio Moderator

Irma -- taking the toll
Mosquitoes will be prodigious! Not looking for to that. The birds probably are, tho.
It seems our local birds survived and are here, woodpeckers, shrikes, grackles, etc. Don't know how they do it, but they did.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:12 PM   #128
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

From what I was watching, the hurricane made a last-second eastward turn after munching through the Keys (talk about damage there...) such that it not only lost a ton of energy, but also kept a huge amount of the most damaging part of the storm off the coast. Our ability to model storm paths is so much better than it's ever been, but it's still a impossibly complex model. The most probable forecasts didn't have this outcome.

So I'd be reluctant to call it over-hyped, at least from the models perspective. The media's interpretation, on the other hand... (aaaaaand how to get my blood boiling is reading the media accounts of technologies/research I'm familiar with.)

Last edited by DPH; 13th September 2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:48 PM   #129
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default High Yield Investment Program

Well, it's that particular anniversary of the year they need to distract you all with smoke and mirrors....
Don't they do it every year around this time.... 3^2..../.....10+1...
Old 13th September 2017, 05:59 PM   #130
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Irma -- taking the toll
Rutger Bregman was on the radio promoting his book "Utopia for Realists" and he said something that has stuck with me. He said something like, "... the news is the opposite of how the world works 99.99% of the time."

Glad it was worse than predicted. This is a fine outcome.

Irma -- taking the tollHide this!Advertise here!