Who has made an impact in the world we live?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my mom - without whom my world wouldn't exist

this is a very strange topic for a thread
I know! I thought the title was literal.

Audio designers have made far less impact outside of this niche hobby and industry. Ask anyone on the street (or even your recent professor) to name any audio designer or researcher and what their contribution was. You'll only get a blank stare.

Perhaps not exactly what OP expected but on a general note, we might also ask not only "who" but also "what" made such an impact that we humans could evolve and hence one day create among plenty things this wonderful audiophile world.

Perhaps the person who ever it was who learned to cultivate crops for some ten thousand years ago, before that we were hunter gatherer fully occupied every day living from hand to mouth, it is believed it was from thereon the population growth started to slowly take of.

I'm not an expert on the topic but gather that to probably be The definitive barrier between allowing the humans having surplus time and energy inventing knew things (both beneficial and for recreation) which gave birth to so many subsequent possible innovations, technologies, so without the knowledge of crop cultivation there would be no electricity, fridges, computers, engine powered sea/land/air-transportation, nuclear tech and funny audiophile gears etc etc... we would still be busy hunting for food and at best singing together.

Well, the whole history of human evolution is full of preconditions if not fulfilled wouldn't have supported many subsequent happenings to occur, good luck find out the "most important" thing in this relative world. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Audio designers have made far less impact outside of this niche hobby and industry. Ask anyone on the street (or even your recent professor) to name any audio designer or researcher and what their contribution was. You'll only get a blank stare.

Really? How about Siegfried Linkwitz, Russ Reiley and the LR filter alignment? That has an impact for anybody who listens to music through anything but a full-range speaker.

Tom

Really? How about Siegfried Linkwitz, Russ Reiley and the LR filter alignment? That has an impact for anybody who listens to music through anything but a full-range speaker.

Er, so what happens when YOU ask someone on the street about Siegfried Linkwitz or Russ Riley?

Last edited:
David Hall. He first created Velodyne subwoofers. He now created LiDAR sensors that allows self-driving cars to see. A great story about David Hall Forbes Sep 5 2017.

Jacob Rabinow the Rabco tonearm a great inventor.
Dr. Otto Bayer lead the "expansion" of modern plastics - including derived adhesives and a dizzying array of supple materials used in loudspeaker drivers.

Yeah, the "truth" about what Mr Gore actually said was very conveniently stripped of its context and made for much fodder for the press. Some things are too complicated to survive the dilution to which most media have come to expect as digestible by the majority of their audience. Are they wrong about that?

"who knew xxxxxx would be so complicated, who knew?"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.