Does any one else roast coffee?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"The National Cancer Institute notes that, among foods, coffee is a major source of acrylamide, along with potato chips, bread, breakfast cereals and canned black olives. But the government agency also mentions on its website that acrylamide levels in food vary widely and that “people are exposed to substantially more acrylamide from tobacco smoke than from food.”"

Better stop eating and breathing.

I usually get some jars of Kalamata olives, they taste pretty good, color is varied and texture/taste does have some variation between jars. I have not found any I like more, there where some Italian ones that where harvested before ripe that tasted really good also. Olives are better with the stones still inside.
Certainly NOT going to stop drinking coffee and eating olives. I mostly keep to a cup a day, maximum two. Olives maybe once every other week. So I am not the biggest consumer of either.

"The National Cancer Institute notes that, among foods, coffee is a major source of acrylamide, along with potato chips, bread, breakfast cereals and canned black olives. But the government agency also mentions on its website that acrylamide levels in food vary widely and that “people are exposed to substantially more acrylamide from tobacco smoke than from food.”"

Better stop eating and breathing.

So the story line should have been bread causes cancer :rolleyes:

So the story line should have been bread causes cancer :rolleyes:

The only way to die is to have lived first. I'd rather enjoy today than dread what might come later. Not that there is much danger in this life anymore, no smoking for years now, hardly drinking, never eaten much beef or deep fried foods. I am aiming for 125 years in good health with smart doctors. Then a backup to a powerful computer. :)

Home Roaster here.

Attachments

• DSC_0004 (1).JPG
    DSC_0004 (1).JPG
    830 KB · Views: 161
I struggle getting anything less than a full city roast consistently. Presently I'm roasting two single origins, one that I'm shutting down at the end of the first crack and a second bean that I'm taking to the very beginning of second crack. Mixing them after roasting. It's been great.

A roasted coffee post? Exxxcellent... serendipitous... I just now finished roasting a pound of Costa Rican beans. Really, just now. I have been using the WhirleyPop method. Have just started down this clearly deep rabbit hole...I figure that roasting about 10 pounds of green coffee will save us about roughly 5 bucks a pound, minimum. I have been paying 20-30 dollars per kilo in recent times, depending on origin and hype. The 50 bucks saved processing the 10 pounds, therefore, pays for the stainless popper. We will determine the the aesthetic pay-back after ten pounds. So far...Roasting our own WINS! So this approach likely means we will step up to an automated roaster with more control and a payback in several years...meanwhile enjoying better coffee.

We have used a commercial espresso machine for the past 15 years at the rate of about 90 cups (doubles) a month. Why didn't I do this sooner!!! Oh, wait...it was that little matter of having time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.