Does any one else roast coffee?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It takes me about 15 minutes for the first batch (250gr green weight), and 12 minutes for the second batch after the roaster is hot.

I can hit my roast pretty consistently, but it also depends on the bean. I've found the smaller the bean is the more difficult it is to be consistent.

I shoot for Full City most of the time with Colombian, but Full City + with Ethiopian beans.

Same for my fluid bed SR700 roaster. About 15 minutes per roast.

But it also depends on the bean and what I'm trying to achieve in terms of maillard reaction (savory flavors) and caramelization (sweet flavors). With the OpenRoast software I'm using various recipe profiles - typically nine steps per profile with each step at a different temperature and duration. I'm still trying to get a handle on caramelization - playing around with Rao profiles to get a sweeter roast.

Once I've dialed in a roast for a particular bean I'll typically leave the roaster/PC unattended until near the end. I typically shoot for City+ to Full City.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried (what I consider difficult but have not tried myself) luxury coffees like genuine Jamaica Blue Mnt. or Hawaiian Kona? I've purchased both (roasted) directly at the estate where the samples were done right there in small batches. I found the really fine qualities very fugitive especially the Kona where they did 5 lb. at a time by hand in a roaster from 1899. They both ship their green beans direct. While I was there (Kona) a woman from Germany bought 5 kilos of green beans at just short of $35 a pound.

As an analogy to me 100% Kona is the pinot noir of coffee.

Has anyone tried (what I consider difficult but have not tried myself) luxury coffees like genuine Jamaica Blue Mnt. or Hawaiian Kona? I've purchased both (roasted) directly at the estate where the samples were done right there in small batches. I found the really fine qualities very fugitive especially the Kona where they did 5 lb. at a time by hand in a roaster from 1899. They both ship their green beans direct. While I was there (Kona) a woman from Germany bought 5 kilos of green beans at just short of $35 a pound.

I'd be pretty nervous to try these more boutique-y green beans unless I could buy a very-close proxy. It usually takes a couple runs to dial in the roast, even if you're given a good guide to the "best" roast.

I'd also be lying to say I have much impetus to try more premium coffees as I really like what I've got already. Maybe I'm already in the "good $30/bottle" equivalent, to run with the analogy?

I usually roast a batch of about 10.5 ounces in the Behmor and it takes around 18 minutes to complete through full city+. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I also have found it tedious to roast every week. You can't leave the roast unattended since bad things can happen if you don't stop it soon after second crack starts (don't ask how I know!).

I roast a batch of decaf and a batch of French roast blend from Sweet Maria's and mix them together. Two large mugs of full-caf in the morning winds me up too much, but the half-caf blend is just right.

Yep, in my office we have a group for an espresso coffee machine use (more or less 80 people) and we buy premium coffee from every place in the world where we find it.

Blue Mountain and Kona are very good, but Mogiana and Cerrado Mineiro are very good too. Kopi Luwak is good, but Jacu Bird, from Brazil (same bean´s "selection process" :D:D:D is far better). Ethiopian and Costa Rica beans are very good too.

But actually the roaster master and the correct selection of beans are the main points, imho.

Regards,

I have not seen people grinding the beans at home but I'm sure they did in the old days. Of course now many people use the automatic machines that grind the beans and they make the decoction right away. Expensive machines so they aren't so widely used.
Traditional coffee over here consists of a decoction made in a simple filter and the rest is made up of hot milk. No water at all. Smells wonderful and tastes great. I think traditionally no one drank black coffee ! They do now. But this coffee tastes best with milk ! We have lots of shops that sell us freshly roasted and ground coffee. The machines are right there in the shop.

People make a mix of their own choice and usually contains Peaberry , Plantation A and a small amount of chicory ( if they want ). The aroma in the shop is amazing !
I don't know if there are other types as I am not a regular 'coffee drinker'. I know these names as I had to pick up a kilo of it for a friend. But coffee from different parts of the country do taste different. Next month I'm off to an area with coffee estates. Will see how their coffee is . Maybe I should find out what varieties are available. I never asked them before !:)
By and large we are a tea drinking people but some sections of the country are regular coffee drinkers. Could be because they are in areas with coffee estates ? They grow tea too !
We do get imported coffee too but they are generally frightfully expensive. Some tend to be quite bitter .Our coffee generally isn't. If I recall correctly a lot of people globally like bitter coffee and often black. I never developed a taste for that.

This thread got me interested. In future I will try out all types when I travel.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow,
I never knew such a thing existed ! Malabar Monsoon coffee ! Maybe coffee drinkers know about it. A quick check showed that it is MORE expensive in India than in the US !About 30 % more. Usually happens when all good things get exported in bulk. Even traditional good Indian tea is now more expensive in India than abroad !

Interestingly my holiday next month is in Malabar. It's my home state !
Will see if this is sold locally . If so it should cost less....I hope !
But I will certainly chat with the local people and see what all kinds of coffee is available here. Never occurred to me to ask that earlier. Everything there tastes good. Practically everything by default is "organic" and is never even advertised that way. It's taken for granted ! Fresh pressed coconut oil is what everyone consumes, except the new rich who buy pretty packaged transparent oil from a mall ! Everything is cooked in coconut oil which smells wonderful !:)

Interestingly my holiday next month is in Malabar. It's my home state !
Will see if this is sold locally . If so it should cost less....I hope !
But I will certainly chat with the local people and see what all kinds of coffee is available here. Never occurred to me to ask that earlier. Everything there tastes good. Practically everything by default is "organic" and is never even advertised that way. It's taken for granted !

We'd be interested in a coffee report from Malabar!

Cheers.

I was interested in home roasting for a while a few years ago, even though I live in an apartment. I do rent a garage stall out back, and while the electrics are a bit primitive out there, I figured I could make it work.

But I like darker roasts, and at one point I was reading a description on a forum where someone explained that you know you're getting close to French roast when it "starts to smell like a house burning down." At that point I decided, okay, my neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate this. :)

I've been roasting for a number of years and the last couple have been on a Huky 1lbs gas roaster. I use artisan software to plot the roast curve. This way I get the beans roasted the way I like them.
There is a big difference between green beans from around the world. The last couple of years the coffee beans from Rwanda have been great. Guatemala coffees are another of my favorites.

Jeez, I just came by to check on this thread, and my ad banner at the top is for - surprise! - a KitchenAid cold coffee brewing system. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Anyone else seeing this?

[EDIT] Holy crap, a hundred and thirty bucks for that thing! Sure it's real pretty, but... Think I'll stick with my green plastic bucket from the hardware store.

[EDIT EDIT] Now fully expecting one of my next ad banners to be from Home Depot...

Last edited:
Has anyone tried (what I consider difficult but have not tried myself) luxury coffees like genuine Jamaica Blue Mnt. or Hawaiian Kona?

I've been to Mavis Bank, Jamaica, where the copyrighted Blue Mountain coffee is roasted. They only buy shade grown coffee too, grown on a few select plantations not too far from the roasting house. I've seen the the plantations too; shade trees grown in perfect symmetry with a coffee tree right in the middle of each planting of shade trees. Temps are mild at that elevation (about 5000 ft I think), reaching around 80 during the day and going down in the 60s at night. Winter low temps can dip into the mid 40s but are more typically low-mid 50s.

When you're in the mountains, people will offer to sell you "Blue Mountain Coffee." It's never the copyrighted version (which is quite expensive and quite special too) but some home grown and home roasted version. All of it bears the signature flavor of the genuine Blue Mountain coffee, but it's all different. All the coffee I ever bought on the side of the road was great. Some of it was obviously not shade grown because it was more acidic but sometimes I like that. Real Blue Mountain coffee needs no sweetener, no cream. But for US $2-3/lb it was awesome. I also bought "High Mountain Coffee" at a supermarket which also bore the signature flavor of the "Blue Mountain Coffee" but was obviously not shade grown. For US$3/lb it was great!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Has anyone tried (what I consider difficult but have not tried myself) luxury coffees like genuine Jamaica Blue Mnt. or Hawaiian Kona?
You missed my post, I guess. :) I lived on a Kona coffee farm, know a number of growers and have been the contests. And still I'm no expert. Every farm is different and the process just to get to the beans you buy is long and complex.
$35 a pound for green is high, but I've paid over $50 for roasted. 25 year old peaberry is even more expensive. Yes, I can get it, but it's not worth it to me. Kona coffee is just as expensive when you live in Kona - as you saw. The difference being that there is so much more choice. All that- and I still like Costa-Rican!

FWIW, there are other coffees beside Kona on the Big Island, and some on Maui and Kauai. Most of it darn good, but the Kauai isn't anything to write home about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.