Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Deep Thoughts..
Deep Thoughts..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2017, 06:56 PM   #61
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
Ayn Rand is an obvious modern example.
And a thoroughly disgusting human. In many ways a person who strives to be the opposite of something they hate, in her case the system she grew up under, can become a monster of the opposite nature.

Some pertinent satire:
Our Daughter Isn’t a Selfish Brat; Your Son Just Hasn’t Read Atlas Shrugged - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
Old 20th August 2017, 09:12 PM   #62
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
And a thoroughly disgusting human. In many ways a person who strives to be the opposite of something they hate, in her case the system she grew up under, can become a monster of the opposite nature.
That's funny, after the usual indoctrination I grew to be amused by the religious fervor of the objectivists and their childlike approach to philosophy. Made me some unfriends which in the long run didn't matter to much. More sad than disgusting especially the dipping into the SS system at end of life, I mean the books sold millions of copies where was her agent?
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:15 PM   #63
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the Oldbie View Post
Heh. Just bought my very first bicycle helmet last week. Figured at age 60, I've pushed my luck far enough. Looked predictably stupid for about the first 5 minutes, after which I stopped caring.

One interesting finding: I tend to say hi, or at least nod to the people I pass on the bike path, with varying results. (Yeah, I'm one of those guys - sue me.)
Previously, wearing only my baseball cap, I seemed to get more acknowledgement from the other old cap-wearing dudes, and just a curt nod (if that) from the Spandex/helmeted crowd. Now that situation is reversed - I get noticeably more rhythm from the carbon-fiber iron men, and near-palpable contempt from the regular joes. Can't we all just get along?

P.S. Meanwhile, the women seem to be ignoring me at essentially the same rate as always.
I'm one of those "spandex clad heroes", and I promise you that a huge portion of them are quite friendly, if not an odd bunch. The subtle nod is a proper hello, but easy to miss. :-) The women ignore me and I'm half your age, so I think we can generalize the issue, haha. Welcome to the helmet club, it's not perfect as theGimp notes but it's better than not and I'm sure glad for the ones I've cracked (rather than me).

And yeah, assume you're invisible on a bike. There's some folks out there with some malice, but I'm a big fan of Hanlon's Razor.
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:25 PM   #64
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
The women ignore me and I'm half your age
Ry Cooder - Crazy 'Bout An Automobile - YouTube
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:41 AM   #65
res07njc is offline res07njc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post

Some pertinent satire:
Our Daughter Isn’t a Selfish Brat; Your Son Just Hasn’t Read Atlas Shrugged - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency

I have a similar reaction to Rand. I don't find her particularly compelling, rather just acting some intellectual ego schism that eventually veers downward to Maslow's lowest level; being a good person would literally 'hurt'.

As far as modern women, far more respect for Paglia. Too honest to have an end-game, though not too honest to be a promoter. (Remind anybody of someone?)

Deep Thoughts..Hide this!Advertise here!